A good 30-06

Ok. I am looking for a good 30-06. Now here is the deal. I am low income, so before you all tell me about a $2000. Dollar gun, keep this in mind. I am looking for price in-between $500 to $800. Looking for a reliable 30-06 around that price. Let me know what your favorite is and what I could look for.

3 Likes

Here’s a tip on a old .30-06 that if you check around you can often find for a dang-near giveaway price. I’m talking about the Remington 742. Many people believe it to be a terribly inaccurate rifle that will not hold a zero. What these people don’t know is 1- it does not like heavier than 130 grain bullets, you will see abnormal wear where the bolt strikes home. 2- the barrel is often slightly loose and most people don’t notice it (won’t hold a zero). easy fix for a gunsmith. I picked up one of these as part of a deal on 3 used guns I bought at the same time. Got the 742 for $150 because the seller said it was inaccurate. Today it shoots great and 1.5 to 2’ groups at 200yrd is pretty much a given. I took it to a gunsmith friend because I did not know of the problems and he said, “give me a few min. and I’ll have it fixed for you”. I did, he did, and the rest is history. Anyway, that’s my experience…

4 Likes

Remington 742. I will look into it. Thank you. Oh wait… you selling yours? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

You did not mention what you would use it for. The 742 is a great gun, but it is a semi-auto. Nothing against them, a buddy has one and has deer hunted with it for decades. You can get a bare bones Remington 700 SPS for between $600-$700 without breaking a sweat looking on gunbroker. Also, some of the newer “budget” rifles such as the Ruger American and the Winchester XPS for about $200ish less depending on exact configuration.

I know the Remington situation, but I am a big fan of the 700. Bought one in .30-06 when I turned 18 and that rifle has been with me hunting all over this great country. Even though I have many more options in my quiver, I still usually bring it along as a spare, if not my primary.

2 Likes

Truth is I have not shot it in a number of years. I bought it on a whim and because I sometimes hunted wild hogs and liked the fast follow up shots . I don’t hunt the pigs anymore. However, I’m not much for selling my collection. I did give a very good friend a tack driving Remington 700 in .300 H&H. He travels west and to Alaska hunting elk, moose, and sometimes brown bear. It was a tad bit over kill for southern whitetails even with downloaded ammo. Anyway check the web and you’ll find a number of people complaining about the accuracy and usually someone will have a buried comment about possible fixes. If you can find one in a pawn shop or the like and get the seller to shoot it with you might get a real good deal.

2 Likes

I am looking to hunt deer. I feel it is important to learn how to hunt just in case this world goes crazy and my family needs to eat. I have shot a lot of different size rifles in my life, and the two I really like was a 22-250 (I don’t think that would take down a deer) and a 30-06. So that’s why I’m looking.

1 Like

Savage

5 Likes

In my mind nothing beats a savage for bang for the buck.
They aren’t usually the prettiest, they are almost always economical, and I’ve honestly not seen one that didn’t shoot damned good for the money out of the box.

The most consistent shooter that I have in -06 is an old 03-A3 that shoots almost anything I’ve ever fed it into a respectable group for a hunting rifle. I dont know about now days, but y ok u used to be able to find them for a couple hundred bucks or less. Sometimes you need to be willing not to let looks fool you though.

4 Likes

Thank you 45IPAC.

2 Likes

Some cents from an older timer…my hunting started with a 270 winchester, xtr, open sights. Over the years my trusty 270 has shot quite a bit of game from antelope, deer, bear, to elk. My first father in law believed in the 30-06. However he started me on the 270. Over the years have considered the browning xbolt in some sort of nosler…However, have come home with game every year with the 270 winchester. Too old school to change my ways? I guess. Again, what fits your situation…budget…etc. …etc…lots of choices!

3 Likes

270, not knowing a lot about different rifles. What is the difference between the 270 and the 30-06?

1 Like

I bought a brand New 30-06 bolt action rifle it is the Savage Axis I heard alot of good things about the rifle but also heard some negative. I researched the negative and alot of the problems were accuracy problems. But I bought one anyway for 425.00 it came with scope already mounted on it and I soon found the problem the mounts would loosen up after it was fired and the scope would move. So I truly do suggest this rifle just get a good set of scope rings.

4 Likes

A 270 is essentially a necked down 30-06. Generally, they shoot flatter and faster than a 30-06 due to typically lighter bullets with the same powder capacity.

If I could pick only one I would go with a 30-06. You will find way more bullet and bullet weight choices in 30 cal.

4 Likes

Justin, you can study the recoil and ballistics, and one can argue different manufacturers for many lifetimes. They go bang. Good scope (I like vortex…just me), scope rings…and so on. Argue Ford, Edsel, Chev or Dodge…years and years…if you can find a mentor, pick his or her brain, shoot and have fun!!!

I was going to add…my first father in law, was a master hunter, and shot a lot of different game with his 06, and that is how he fed his family. I was with him when he shot a massive black bear in northern MT. And his bear stew was somewhat tasty. To add…I also shot a bear that same weekend, but he said I spanked mine before i shot it. LOL LOL

3 Likes

Yes, the .22-250 is a fun round. I have lit up one or two prairie dogs among other small critters, but it is not a deer rifle. In fact, a .22 centerfire or rimfire is illegal for deer hunting in many states.

3 Likes

And I know that. I just like learning about guns through real gun owners. Not adds or fake review’s. When I get a convo going about it I get true review’s. Plus I don’t have the money to make a mistake all because a picture of a gun made it look cool, but a junk gun. You know what I mean. Guys that go out and hunt and shoot make the best sells men.

2 Likes

Prairie dogs??? Are the good eating??

1 Like

Just my opinion, but 30-06 is a dying cartridge. Sure ammo manufactures still produce it, but are they designing new rounds and bullets for it? Probably not.

If it was me, I’d go with 308. It is a much more popular round these days with more ammo choices. Can even find cheap surplus fmj round for practice.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community. What is the power difference between the two?

1 Like

Welcome to the community Beryl.

1 Like