FL police vow to stop illegally seizing ammunition

In the article, there is an interesting tactical scenario, I’d like to hear everyone’s take on it.

7 Likes

I think it’s bunk.

It’s theft.

3 Likes

It’s definitely not time.

Id have to say it is theft. I bought the ammo, they didn’t.

5 Likes

It’s called involuntary donation.
And we should donate local PD, shouldn’t we? :wink:

2 Likes

So psycho gets 72 hours and a free pass and good guy loses possession for 68 days and is further ripped off by our illustrious government!
Funny how sh#t works these days!
I think we would all be better off if we just crossed the border BACK INTO the United States!

12 Likes

Not sure I like the “backing up” for 1/4 of a mile. Although this case ended up without a shooting or victim of a shooting that made me wonder what else he could have done without taking the risk of falling down or being attacked from the rear?

5 Likes

Welcome, David1532!

I am not sure either. Perhaps the attacker did not give out signals of being dangerous enough, second guessing the man who was there is not something I am going to do. A fall and an ND will compromise the defender though.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @David1532

1 Like

Welcome to the Best Brotherhood-Sisterhood Gunner’s ever had!

Enjoy your stay and stay active, You could teach us a lot
(and maybe we could teach you a thing or two)

My personal opinion is if he followed, threatened, made me back up and still advanced…
I’d put one in his Head. But that’s just me.
This has gone too far, we’ve bent over backwards and we let these Liberal Waste products
dictate hoe bad WE are, and how we shouldn’t give any penalty, Jail time, attitude adjustment
to the killers, psycho’s and Terrorists. But we do want Hamas, Border Crossers, Trans-freaks
to have the key’s to the city.

I THINK NOT.
Not today, Not ever.

No easy day’s ahead.

WWG1WGA

4 Likes

No Step on Easy Day

3 Likes

@David1532 Welcome to the community!

A few years ago, I had a firearm stolen in a neighboring county. It was recovered by Florida City PD. More than a year after the theft FCPD notified me they had made an arrest and had my firearm in their possession. Mr. Boodoo, two detectives and the ladies at the front desk were all very helpful in getting my $800 firearm back to its rightful owner. After the individual was convicted on several charges, I needed a court order from the judge that presided over the case. She and her judicial clerk were also very helpful. I also did not receive my defensive ammo back. I believe that’s a very small price to pay, especially considering all they go through on a daily basis. I for one greatly appreciate their service and diligence.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Lee71

Glad you got your firearm back! In your case the police were returning your stolen property recovered from a criminal. By that time the gun may not have even still held the original rounds that were in it when it was stolen. So I see no issue with the police not returning the ammo in that case.

But I do think it is a different story when police confiscate private property that was determined to be legally possessed and not involved in a crime.

3 Likes

From a tactical perspective, backing up when you can’t see where you are putting your feet is very risky.

Since the gun discharged when he fell it seems that the victim in this case may have had their finger on the trigger before deciding they needed to shoot? Though I could see him being justified in shifting his finger to the trigger if the threat was making another aggressive advance just before he tripped.

I wonder what the general training for finger placement is in a situation like this for LEOs? Maybe some of the instructors could chime in?

I have been trying to train to be as quick as possible at getting my finger from aligned along the slide to instantly taking the shot. It does slow things down a little compared to having the finger pre staged on the trigger. But prestaged on the trigger could lead to an unintended pull from a startle response to a noise, movement or trip in this case. Most training focuses on not drawing until you have to shoot but situations like this where the attacker pauses as you draw are not uncommon. So then you are stuck holding a potential threat at gun point at a very close distance where you may need to react instantly. Also maybe the not having your finger on the trigger makes the attacker assume you won’t shoot causing them to make a move for your gun?

How have people here been trained to position your finger in this situation and how do you practice for going from unsure you need to take a shot to needing to take a shot right now?

6 Likes

@Lee71 Welcome to the community, and glad you got your firearm returned to you.

2 Likes

When my gun comes out of the holster the finger goes to the frame every time.
I always have one in the pipe, that time I save not racking the slide or klacking off
the safety (I don’t have one) I feel allows me to keep the finger off the trigger.
It’s just safer .

Mi dos pesos

3 Likes