First time gun owner

Hey everybody,

This is my first time posting in the community… I just became a member.

I just bought my first gun. Smith & Wesson M&P 380 EZ Shield. I’m also just getting used to saying what it is as well, so please excuse if that was not said right.

I’m glad there’s a community to help learn some stuff also.

The hubby, Taurus G2C 9mm, and I just went to the CCW class and I got to shoot with the Smith & Wesson I chose as my choice carry and made all 8 shots in a nice cluster, 11 feet away, and in the target. Woo hoo, go me.

Do any of you have any first time advice?

Thanks

35 Likes

Your in a great place to get started and find resources to learn, Regular practice and familiarity with your fire arm are starting points, as well as the practices and mindset , Best of luck and welcome to the community!

9 Likes

Welcome. The time spent here can be very informative and rewarding.

8 Likes

Thanks,

I’ve been watching the videos and learning a lot. Luckily the hubby has been around guns his whole life so he is helping me understand the lingo. Also, the CCW class was super helpful in knowing types of bullets and how to handle the firearm.

11 Likes

Welcome to your new family. If you have questions there are very knowledgeable people in this forum.

7 Likes

The one piece of advice I will give is never stop learning and practicing. Shoot as much as you can and train as often as possible.

19 Likes

Welcome. Even if you are unable to get a lot of range time in. Dry fire constantly. Perfect practice leads to perfection when you need it.

10 Likes

Welcome to the family, the more we grow the more we learn from each other. We all can’t say it enough practice and safety.

6 Likes

Know your firearm and be fully comfortable with it.

Watch every video with your firearm you can find on YouTube.

Then learn and practice. Dry fire and live fire. Take classes, be better shooter each month.

12 Likes

Enjoy it.

I finally got my daughter to EDC, and she got the exact same handgun. Trained her and her 2 roommates on it.

Also it’s not a race, enjoy learning and training at your speed. Maybe look for some like minded ladies to shoot with.

If you are at a range and aren’t comfortable with it on some level. Listen to yourself and find a new range.

8 Likes

Best advice I ever got: proper prior planning prevents p**s poor performance! Range time, dry fire practice at home, quality carry ammo, drawing from other people’s experience, and situational training.

6 Likes

There is already a lot of good advice in this thread and all the other posts at this site, so I can’t add too much for you.
One thing I would say is to look at Active Self Protection Lessons on YouTube. You can also check out Activeselfprotection.com.
These daily YouTube videos helps me prepare mentally for different scenarios that may come up in my life depending upon where I am or what I am doing. Even if many videos are from other countries the principles John points out hold true wherever you are located.

6 Likes

Signup for more professional training. After your first class you will learn how much you still don’t know.
Look at taking the training courses that the USCCA provides in your area.

7 Likes

Welcome to the community!!

7 Likes

Congrats & Welcome. :clap:t5:

Advice…

1. Train as often as you can.
  2. Be as knowledgeable about your weapon as possible.
  3. Avoid conflict as much as is within your control. It’s a rule for life but a golden rule while armed.

:v:t5:

8 Likes

All of the above, and don’t forget to enjoy it all. Train and have fun doing it. God bless.

4 Likes

My advice is to enjoy and learn. Take some classes if you are interested. Welcome! And congrats on the new gun.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome!
Something I would offer is to suggest you purchase a MantisX device and use it to work on the basics. You can dry fire and train your draw, aim, trigger pull and follow up without any more expenses than the Mantis and your smart phone or PC - it talks bluetooth.

I would propose 90 days of good daily use of the system and your firearm would give you an incredibly solid basis for knowing what you do when you do it and how that impacts how accurate you are, how smoothly and quickly you can draw, and get your trigger control down to unconscious competency. That and whatever live fire time you can add will allow you to overcome flinch, trigger jerk, and get you set to develop the skill to stay on target.

All I can finish with is I wish I had had the benefit of such a skills training aide when I started 48 years ago. MantisX

Good journey to you and yours, you are in good company here. Don’t forget to dig through the web site, lots of things hide in the corners!

9 Likes

Yes, I can’t wait to learn more about mine.

I’m looking at holsters now. Does your daughter have a holster for hers, what is it, if I might ask?

6 Likes

I had an IWB Kydex holster made, and a sleeve for her purse

6 Likes