First Aid - beyond self-defense

It’s Thanksgiving week! I can’t wait to spend time with my family and friends this week - and have some great food!

Unfortunately, a lot of people will get minor - and some not-so-minor - injuries cooking for the holiday. Here’s where your first aid training can come in extremely handy!

Knowing how to treat a knife wound (the knife slipping while carving the bird) or burns (deep-fried turkey or oven accidents) is another way we’re born to protect!

What first aid skills have you had to use on a holiday?

Links to training aids are welcome! Need training in the future? We have a great book to get you started: Emergency First Aid Fundamentals and some of our instructors teach it as well. Here are other training links that may help: Stop the Bleed , Red Cross Classes , and Amerian Heart Association. There are a bunch of other training offers out there, find a reputable organization for your education.

3 Likes

I’ve had to get stitches before a party at our house - not during the holidays, a football party. I was putting a mandoline away and the safety guard broke. (The kitchen tool mandoline, not the musical instrument mandolin.)

Looked similar to this:
Photo from Amazon

I had cleaned the mandoline and was putting the safety guard on before I put it away so no one would get hurt. The safety guard broke and I cut my thumb.

Here’s the first aid I did:
Applied pressure.
Raised the thumb where the deep cut was above the heart.
Wrapped it tightly.
Went to the urgent care got 8 stitches.
Went home and threw the mandoline in the garbage.

2 Likes

The heimlich maneuver incase somebody chokes on some dressing and turkey :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve actually had to do this.

4 Likes

Just basic first aid. I do know how to do the Heimlich, and 10 years ago was certified for first aid on infants and toddlers. Thank goodness, that’s stuff I’ve never had to use.

2 Likes

Had to use this on a former girlfriend’s 2 year old cousin. It worked, keep in mind the method for one at the child’s age was blows between shoulder blades.

2 Likes

Amazingly enough, never had to use any of my first aid skills during a holiday. Plenty of other opportunities throughout the year though in years past.

1 Like

I’ve got some family members that might stab a hand with a fork when going for second helpings though.

2 Likes

I’ve had to do that with my granddaughter. She LOVES pretzels but doesn’t chew them well. I don’t feed her pretzels anymore :unamused:

1 Like

That isn’t acceptable table etiquette?

I know, why I tried to avoid the in laws

1 Like