Protecting Yourself in the Kitchen?

There are a lot of ways to get hurt in the kitchen, but there are a lot of useful tools there as well.

Part of our training should always be recognizing weapons of opportunities that might be used against us or that we can use to defend ourselves.

Kitchen knives are a pretty obvious self-defense option.

What other weapons of opportunity do you have in your kitchen? In the rest of your home?

5 Likes

Kitchen:

• knives (of course)
  • fork
  • potato peeler
  • rolling pin
  • pot lids (for defense)

Rest of house:

• iron
  • baseball bat
  • extension cords
  • pen, pencil
  • screwdriver
  • utility knife
  • floor scrapper, broom
  • chair (if nothing else available)
4 Likes

I cook with cast ironā€¦ :smiley: I could probably figure out how to use the Ninja too! I frequently have coffee on, so hot liquids is an option.

5 Likes

Goodness @Dawn the only place that has more weapons of opportunity than the kitchen is my workshop. I am a huge supporter of Pamperā€™d Chef and believe that cast iron is the perfect cook wear. Breaking bad when I am in the kitchen is a recipe to be killed or WORSE and that doesnā€™t include the 2 or 3 pistols on top of the fridge. You doggone sure donā€™t want to let me to roam around the rest of the house if you are coming after me.

The safest place to come at me is when Iā€™m mowing the lawn and then you still have 7 rounds of .45 to deal with. If I make it to the house, youā€™re pretty much in for a very bad day.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

No kidding I was at Walmart today and going through the camping aisle and a father/daughter were there and adjusting things in their basket to make room for something and the literally had 5-7 rolling pins in their cart!! I immediately wondered if they were attempting to stock up on less than lethal defensive items for the kitchen for tomorrowā€¦:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Kitchen:
Knives, pots and pans, scissors in drawer, plates, decorative wine bottle(they seem impossible to break), chairs, any small appliance that isnā€™t anchored down(Iā€™m a big guy)

Rest of house
Anything under 25 lbs that isnā€™t anchored to the wall(yes Iā€™m being serious about this), ball bat, canned hair products(spray in the eyes, hit in the temple with the can)

Remember, these are weapons of opportunity. I wouldnā€™t plan on using any of them, but could imagine how everything in the house that I can lift, throw, or swing can be used.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s plenty of inanimate objects throughout the house that can be swung, tossed, or jabbed with if needed. However, I do my best to use holster systems that Iā€™m comfortable enough to keep on around the house and doing everyday chores.

3 Likes

I collect all things Dragon, this includes knives and swords and figurines throughout the house on display. While most everything is not razor sharp, I am sure I can swing or poke hard enough any of them to leave me with an advantage.

Just throwing salt in the face of the unwanted guest could make all the difference you need.

2 Likes

In the kitchen, besides what is already listed and lots of knivesā€¦

• hot coffee
  • heavy ceramic canisters
  • wine bottles
  • wrought iron corkscrew
  • heavy pans
  • heavy glass canisters
  • herb chopper
4 Likes

I was thinking that, but using the coffee pot with hot coffee all in itself. I always have some Louisiana Community hot and fresh all day for work and school!

@Zee Iā€™m building a big box to send to the main office in Wisconsin with Buku flavors. I want you in on a box Iā€™m sending out and if you donā€™t mind send me your address or P.O. box you want in my private messages.

2 Likes

I tell my wife if you need to use a frying pan by all means be my guest, kitchen knives are handy and the pepper spray. Oh and if someone attacks while you are cooking hot oil works also.

3 Likes

We were trained that if we had to enter a home, to stay out of the kitchen. Theyā€™re are just too many ways to get hurt in there. (BTW, there are legitimate efforts to ban kitchen knives in some counties, except to licensed cooks.)

I wouldnā€™t feel comfortable using a kitchen knife to defend myself. That requires too much skill. I have a mini baseball bat in a drawer, thereā€™s OC on a keychain, and usually a pistol in an undisclosed location where the kids canā€™t reach.

1 Like

I seen this!!!

Britain physiologist writes a report on this topicā€¦

His hypothesis:[Thesis] Banning knives would prevent mass stabbings
Conclusion: Nobody will know unless ā€˜weā€™ try it!

This guy has lost his mindā€¦
Almost barfed while reading this paper!

It has fancy words in-it, but he sounds a lot like me when trying to sound, ā€œscholarlyā€ ā€¦Dumb

1 Like

In my kitchen besides all the usual kitchen things.

1. 12 oz can of gel Mace mounted hidden

2. 2 Collapsible batons under a counter.

3. 6 total sets of fast ties in a drawer.

4. 1 Butane torch for Creme Brulee, use imagination.

5. 1 kitchen island approx. 300 lbs. Mounted on wheels 5 feet from only way up into house. Steel and Marble so itā€™s cover not concealment.

6. G chord from piano for slicing cheeses and salamiā€™s and such. Again use imagination.

3 Likes

Some serious hardware

1 Like