Impact Weapons

Don’t overlook these for self- and home- defense - 2 sources for these are Cold Steel and United Cutlery, under the “Night Watchman” brand - Cold Steel now carries 4 different sizes and weights of polypropylene baseball bats - United offers maces, and a hard rubber slapjack you can tuck behind your wallet. Check 'em out.

3 Likes

I’ve said before that we shouldn’t discount baseball bats for home defense. Many homes have at least one, and most people have some idea how to use it (even if we can’t hit a home run). I wouldn’t bring a bat to a gun fight, but I might grab a well-placed bat if I think someone’s in my house.

2 Likes

I have done a lot of business with Cold Steel. I like that you can watch their product vids on the CS site.

1 Like

Is this who you’re talking about? If so they’re in my back yard.

2 Likes

I keep an ASP between my car seat and console and have an ax handle conveniently located bt the front door.

4 Likes

There are a couple Vietnam Era Hatchets, more than a couple M-16 Bayonets, and misc weapons all over the house. Even used the kitchen M-16 bayonet to cut a couple watermelons this past summer. Also have a collapsible baton in my box of EDC items ( I kinda keep a lot of different choices in it and chose what I may want depending on whats on the agenda each day), and several cans of Sabre Crossfire around the house, in the cars and on the ATV. Living on a farm there are many 2x4s and other weapons of convenience everywhere.

3 Likes

I have an Ontario M7 bayonet that someone bought for me, something of a gag gift. I have to say it’s one of my favorite knives. Certainly not a pocket knife, or even a hunting knife, but it holds a great edge and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it as a defense knife. Added bonus that I can wear it at the front of my rifle.

2 Likes

???

No No No…

That is a tire thumper to check air pressure :grin:

1 Like

Sometimes, when I pull out that handle, I ax myself if someone needs thumping!

5 Likes

More often than not… they do… but cooler heads prevail… or … is there something we do not know

You haven’t met the voices, Adam, Barbara, Charlie and David. Usually they are pretty well behaved, but Barbara is an instigator! Sometimes I can’t hear the ringing in my ears over their voices. And sometimes, the voices are quiet … that’s when I know those #$^%&@'s are up to something!

5 Likes

Kurt, USCCA already had a nice article on impact weapons:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/the-leather-sap-old-school-but-is-it-legal/

However, many states still consider the carry of such weapons illegal (even with a concealed carry permit). So before someone goes out and buys one, check your local laws on the matter as you don’t want to break the law over something so mundane.

1 Like

Slapjacks are classified as deadly weapons in Kentucky. They, like firearms can be carried openly by any person 18 or older and concealed by anyone 21 or over.

2 Likes

Those kinds of laws always raise my eyebrows.

In my state, for example, I can open carry a firearm, and I can conceal carry a pistol. But it’s illegal for me to own a taser, even though that’s less lethal than a firearm.
:man_shrugging:t3:

There’s nothin’ like a good piece of hickory.

3 Likes

Amen - knife laws, too.

1 Like

or Maple if your from up north!

1 Like

Hmmm… I wonder if I should move my lug wrench from the spare tire compartment to my car cabin.

2 Likes

Better than in the library… with the butler.

A couple of questions: Can I leave the ax head on the handle? :grin::sweat_smile::joy: seriously I keep a tomahawk in both my vehicles. Second, does anyone have an opinion on the collapsible batons? Thanks

1 Like