House Dump: Weapons of Opportunity

We make sure we’re prepared when we leave the house with everything in its proper pocket or easily accessible.

Some of us stage firearms around the house (safely and securely). For those of us who don’t stage firearms, knowing what good weapons of opportunity are available can make all of the difference in our self-defense at home.

What weapons of opportunity do you have or look for in someone’s home?

2 Likes

Candlesticks, hot aroma infusers, knife blocks, cutting boards, iron for ironing, easily obtained electric cord, glass anythings, aerosols and lighters, Golf Clubs, Letter openers, top heavy book cases and such, cover, points of ingress and egress, bottlenecks where I could potentially hold off an invasion while those I care for got to safety.

I am still going to have my EDC, so I am looking for things to supplement what I have.

3 Likes

Baseball bat is a perfect tool. Kitchen is full of tools :slight_smile:
If I’m in someones house, beside by pocket knife, I always look for kitchen location. Additionally to unlimited amount of weapon - kitchen in most cases has second door which can be used in emergency.

5 Likes

I like something like this: https://kingfisherwoodworks.com/products/aikido-jo

1 Like

I feel there are blunt trauma inducing devices everywhere. I’m a fan of ranged weapons, with that said, wasp spray and at the gas station the dispensing pump itself.

2 Likes

Anything I can pick up and swing. Any sharp objects. I always have my EDC pistol and knife, but, I still take notice.

2 Likes

As far as staged defense tools, we have a mini baseball bat, an old riot baton, and some OC.

1 Like

Crowbar, kitchen knife, fire extinguisher, frying pan, glass, plates, dog leash. These items can put a hurting on someone who knows how to use them and has access to them.

1 Like

Everything is a tool! Household tools (hammer, screwdrivers, …), fireplace tools (especially the poker), Kitchen (knives, pots, pans, forks …), sporting goods, irons, …

2 Likes

Jason Bourne plastic ballpoint pen. They come in at about ten cents a piece and can be safely staged all over the house. For some reason I can never find one when I need one though. Why do people instinctively want to put all my pens in drawers when I clearly spent mental effort placing them in tactical positions?

4 Likes

A Louisville Slugger and escrima sticks.
However I wouldn’t take any of them to a gunfight.

2 Likes

Depending on range I will take Escrima Sticks, Expanding Baton, Tonfa, or Psi’s all day long. Studied Escrima since :t_rex::sauropod: roamed the Earth or the wheel version 3.0 was invented :stop_sign:. Sorry :fire: wasn’t quite there yet.

3 Likes

I was taught by an elderly gent who, as a kid, smuggled food to hiding GIs behind enemy lines in the PI.
Lots of great stories!

2 Likes

“The Beatin’ Stick” (a broken shovel handle, with the sharp broken part cut off, looks like a billy club for Andre the Giant)

2 Likes