Favorite carbines!

Favorite carbine M-1
Close 2nd Ruger 10-22 I’ve had for nearly 50 years.

6 Likes

My favorite is the only one I have. HiPoint 9mm carbine. It puts holes where I want them.

6 Likes

This may be a bit of heresy and will shock my family. I recently discovered a new favorite. I own or have owned all the others listed except for the CZ Scorpion and generally think they are fine guns for the purpose intended.
My new favorite has been around a very long time. One of my son’s recently decided that he wanted an SKS as a home defense gun. He could not find one locally, and I happened to stumble across a used one at a local shop. Generally speaking, I am not a fan of military surplus guns.
It was an early model Russian SKS that should probably have been a collector item. However, the previous owner had discarded the factory stock in favor of a bull pup stock from SW and a new clip arrangement that replaced the factory 10 rounder. Generally speaking, I do not like bull pup stocked rifles. Owned several and sold them all.
I bought this one for my son, and now he is angry that I won’t give it to him. Just to see if it worked before giving it to him, I decided to shoot it. Now he wants it and can’t have it. It is mine!
I put a German one to four power variable optic with lighted center dot. I sighted it in at 100 yards, and it proved to be both very accurate and utterly reliable. Not only that, but I know the former owner, and he is meticulous about his care of firearms. He told me he sold this one because he didn’t like all the weight between his hands from the bull pup configuration. I was just the opposite. It is the fastest handling rifle I own and more than accurate enough for my purposes.
There is no felt recoil, it throws the brass where I want, and it cuts cloverleafs at 100 yards off the bench. All my other guns vanished into a safe, and now this is my preferred fun gun. Ammo is cheap enough to shoot a lot. Now I have to find another for my son!

4 Likes

@Owen14 Just an FYI if your looking for something with a little extra whomp. :us:

7.62x39mm 123gr. Controlled Chaos® Solid Monolithic Hunting Ammo

7.62x39mm 123gr. Controlled Chaos® Solid Monolithic Hunting Ammo

$34.99

3 Likes

Bruce,
Thanks a bunch for the tip.

I really like Underwood in my 10mm and I will certainly give it a try in the SKS. Until my son pushed me into the 7.62X39, I knew little about it. Old prejudice from the Vietnam days when it was the caliber of the bad guys. But, I really like it now. It is a hoot to shoot and I think I have found my new favorite overall.

Owen

4 Likes

M1 .30 cal I love my auto ordinance carbine. Easy to carry and decent round plus I’m a sucker for the nostalgia it evokes when I pick it up.

4 Likes

@Wayne88 Welcome aboard!

I like my m1 30 carbine, its flawless, just can’t hunt with it , and my 995ts , cuz it uses 9mm , both way fun to shoot , very accurate and ammo is still available

3 Likes

@Derrick28 Welcome aboard!

1866 reproduction Of the yellow boy
Winchester Lever in 44-40. Shoots BP cartridge or new fad smokless

3 Likes

I wanted a carbine that used the same ammo as my S&W and Springfield 45 acp sidearms.
After reading reviews and watching Hickock 45 videos, I decided to give the Hipoint 45 acp carbine a whirl. The price was too low not to check it out.
Wow, I was impressed to say the least. Accurate, reliable and a blast to shoot. It’s so much fun to shoot I find myself leaving the AR’s at home and running the Hipoint more and more.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Daniel348

I hear lots of good things about the high point carbines. Just wish they would come out with an extended magazine that doesn’t look like two standard magazines taped together at a funny angle;) Otherwise all the reports I have seen are that they are reliable and accurate. Not to mention affordable!

1 Like

Agreed.
I don’t have any of the 20 round Redball mags, I’m like you I think they look goofy and stick out way too far.
I do have several 14 round Promag mags and they’ve been 100% so far.
I have a tad over 2k round through my carbine to date and haven’t had a jam, misfeed or failure to fire yet.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @Daniel348

Same reasoning as mine with the Ruger Redhawk and 44 Carbine :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

The Ruger Mini 14. Hands down

2 Likes

An old Winchesty thutty-thutty stuffed with 170 grain soft points was my co-pilot while flying a Super Cub in Alaska back in the day.

4 Likes

Happy Anniversary brother

3 Likes

Using the barrel under 20" rule, I own very few longer rifles, but love the carbines!

I hardly ever go to the range without my CX4, so that must be my favorite. Still, I love shooting the CMR-30 too. Even my Marlin 60 qualifies with a 19" barrel…and I need to shoot it again. I’ve shot it only once, right before COVID started, and enjoy that simple style.

1 Like

I bought a cheap ass HiPoint 9mm carbine about 6 years ago. It is still blowing & going. I keep it clean & use only Winchester 115gr ammo ( it is very picky on ammo). It is the only carbine I own so I guess it would be my favorite. LOL
IMG_4794_5751414474315(1)

2 Likes

Rossi R92 puma hunter. Lever action in 44mag/44special. I really like this gun. Old cowboy action mineaswell be semi automatic.

3 Likes