Everyday rifle carry

As a student of the gun I have carried a rifle caliber firearm of one sort or another for defensive use almost my entire life. With the introduction of pistol braced weapons several years ago we have taken that concept to a different level.

Where I live, the environment, animals, and people present a situation where having a firearm with the ability to be carried daily with you or on you in a subgun/pcc/sbr configuration is almost a requirement for my life style.

I carry a 9mm Glock handgun daily but having been involved in training for decades and having been in several armed confrontations in my life already, the ability and capabilities of something bigger is a must.

In today’s political climate and this being an open forum I would love to hear what some of you use for your concealed travel/truck/HD rifles or pic’s if you are ok with it.

I rotate between 3 primarily, a 10.5" 5.56, a CZ scorpion with 8" barrel in 9mm and a .300 aac blackout with 2 different uppers one with a 10.5" barrel and the other is a 8.5" barreled upper that is being put together for rotation.

I carry these in a Vertx Gamut Checkpoint 2.0 with spare mags, slings and a stop the bleed/ ifak with a couple tourniquet. These same firearms serve as my HD bump in the night problem solvers so they are all equipped with either Eotechs or Aimpoints and carry the number one accessory for me, a weapon light, a Surefire or Streamlight with a Cloud Defense switch and all have been tested and zeroed with Hollow point defensive ammunition. I am in the process of testing some new Inforce WML’s, so far so good.

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Current set up on the CZ

2 Likes

2 Likes

I have spent most of my life in very rural areas doing very rural jobs. So I am very familiar with “truck guns.” I don’t live like that today. So I don’t pack one very often. But when I did I switched between 3: a barely legal 12 ga pump or 16 ga coach gun (for awhile), a lever action 30-30 or 44 with iron sights, or an American made Colt M-forgery with iron sights. Depended on the local conditions.

1 Like

I don’t take my truck gun with me very often but do have one that I picked out for its cheapness, lightweight and compactness (it folds in half). A Keltec SU16b with a micro green dot on top. Weighs a hair over 4.5 pounds and has been completely reliable and reasonably accurate out to 100 yards (the furthest I have shot it). The plastic trigger and heavy trigger spring were pretty bad so I swapped those out. It also lacks any “scary” features so is legal in most places in the US. And it takes AR mags which is a bonus.

1 Like

Howdy. Withdrew my post

Which do you find most useful, versatile and why? I have a bias toward PCC, but always looking to learn more.
If you are in the country, I’d imagine you have snakes. No shotgun?

I have a Wilson Combat Remington 12gauge my wife bought for me many years ago. I am a HUGE lover of the old boomstick. I have taken enough classes and training with the shotgun to never feel undergunned when carrying one I have just made the decision to use what is going to solve the most problems with the least amount of trouble(ammo types, bird, buck, slugs) so I am only using my pcc’s and AR platforms going forward.

1 Like

Versatility is subjective to me as it depends on your mission. I have been fortunate enough to have the ability to pick and choose a little more than some and less than others. I switch around depending on what I’m doing that day but if I could only have 1 I would lean towards my 10.5" 5.56 as it can do almost anything I need it to do, truck, HD, pest control and with proper load selection it can take medium size game with proper shot placement.

The only real draw back to the 5.56 and .300aac for me is ammo cost especially during our current state of affairs. I do have an 8" barreled AR 9mm that runs on Glock mags as well. The benefit of the scorpion and AR9 is ammo cost for training. Some don’t realize that blow back 9mm’s actually have MORE felt recoil than 5.56, to me that is a plus as it helps training on the 5.56.

1 Like