Email filters

Does anyone know how if you can filter out spam from the basic yahoo email account? Or is that a feature you have to pay for to get access?

1 Like

I’m not sure if there are any specific settings for that. My account seems to do a good job of filtering out the spam emails that I am not responsible for inviting into my inbox. But I get a ton of junk mail from all the sponsors of the free firearm giveaways I sign up for and they all make it into my inbox:( Also get a lot of spam fund raising emails from Republican candidates even though most of them are from out of State candidates.

2 Likes

You can hold your finger down on the email and select block (don’t do it) which I’ve done and it says blocked but all it really seems to do is verify that your email is valid and it sends it out to every known spammer in the world. Still shows up with a little prohibited :no_entry_sign: marker on the email and doesn’t sent it to the trash bin. So you have to physically remove it like every other email.

2 Likes

You need to go into your email settings, you should have some type of setting that referrers to spam or junk email. It might take longer but I use outlook, and if I get spam, I right click and block any more from this sender, you may have to do this for a while, but it works. I think outlook learns from this and future spam from similar sites will be blocked. Another way is to unsubscribe from future emails, this is at the bottom of the webpage, and it will redirect you to the unsubscribe page. This will stop any other emails from the sender to stop. Sorry so long winded here, and I could have made a shorter version, but I don’t type too much and proper grammar is slacking a bit. This is the best I can explain.

3 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about. I hold my finger (right click), a menu pops up, I block the sender and I’m inundated with spam from new accounts selling their sh1t.

Edit: it doesn’t get filtered out and I have to physically delete.

1 Like

I would try if you have not already, is go to the site when you click on the sh1t they want you to buy, go to the very bottom of the page and click the very small print that says unsubscribe. If there are any options click all. This should stop the spam mails just from that site. If there are other junk emails you may have to do this for all of them. Just the current from today, you won’t have to do this to the older ones.
Best of luck

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Technically, spammers are required to offer an “unsubscibe” option (usually in small print at the bottom of the e-mail). Click on that and over time, you’ll see the amount of junk e-mail diminish.

But, in the world in which we live, spammers ignore such things and there is no penalty and little cost for continuing to rain spam in everyone’s e-mail.

2 Likes

I’m no techno wizard, but I heard that by trying to “unsubscribe” from a place or company you “never” subscribed to within the email, just validates the your account is valid.
However if you place the unwanted messages /emails into your junk folder a couple of times they will disappear.
Unfortunately we’re living in a Greek myth! When you get rid of three unwanted emails, 27 more appear!

3 Likes

I would strongly suggest that you do not do that unless it is a legitimate company/organization. Clicking links from an unknown source can be dangerous to your computer’s health. I usually just mark email as spam, which depending on whether I am in Outlook or just using the email system on my phone, will either delete it or just mark it spam, wherein I then have to also delete it.

2 Likes