Dropping a holiday gift hint - but is it legal?

Just buy a gift card or go with to pay for your purchase. Easy-Peasy

5 Likes

I’m with @BJP and @Robert8. Take the individual and let them pick it out, or find out the price out the door, and do a gift card for the price, plus some ammo.

4 Likes

This always seems to be a ever changing subject. A large number of “gifted” guns are either ‘first’ guns for kids, which will initially technically be the parents gun until they are 18 or 21. The other category are inherited guns, which go through different hoops depending on the relationship to the deceased.

3 Likes

Well my first .22 caliber rifle my father bought for me when I was 11 years old and in IL you cannot own a firearm of any type until 21. I was in the Army back in ‘69 and was in the hot humid sweaty weather in the jungles of Vietnam carried an M16A1 and had a M79 also and back home here I was not eligible to own any firearm here in Illinois. So you deal with the cards you are dealt.

4 Likes

You can buy and own long guns in Illinois at 18.

3 Likes

Well my mom was an old School Irish lady Chet and I was headed to the service and my father didn’t want to listen to her. I was told she wanted my father to bring the rifle to the local precinct and give it to the police. I knew what the law was but it was probably better back then to not go against my mom. Things were different back then you just didn’t go against your parents in the mid 1960’s at least in a strict Irish Catholic family. I mean I didn’t even have any 45rpm records of Elvis Presley because my mom said the gyrations and shaking I was on the train bound for Hell.

3 Likes

Never gave as a present. And probably it will never happen…
I transferred my first pistol to my son. This procedure is very easy in IL. It takes 5 minutes and requires State Police “approval”… which is internet background check.

4 Likes

Yep, but not a new one. I’ve given family members a gun I owned and they had liked shooting. And my hubby has given me guns. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
But again I think it’s that he bought them and then he transferred them to me when I didn’t want to put them back in the case. :laughing:

6 Likes

Yep, took one of my sons to the gun store so he could pick out a handgun that felt comfortable in his hands. He selected a Beretta in 40 S&W. I was upfront and told the store I was buying the gun for my son’s Christmas present. They were cool and said my son would have to fill out the paperwork and pass the background check - which he did. I paid, and he went back and picked it up after the 3 day wait period required in Florida.

5 Likes

Not anymore, last Jan the age to purchase a long gun in IL went up to 21.

3 Likes

Unless they have written consent from a parent or legal guardian. And that has to be notarized.

Section 65-4.2(i)

3 Likes

Went into my favorite gun shop and ordered and paid for a Springfield M1A Super Match as a gift for my adult son. When the firearm came in, we met at the gun shop and so he could fill out the background check. This was in August. The previous January, he had changed apartments in the same complex, moving across the street. He completed the paperwork, and gave them his driver’s license. He had failed to get his license changed to his new address, so they would not turn in the paperwork. Since I purchased it, I started to fill out the paperwork, but they would not let me, as I had already told the shop the firearm was a gift for him. Two weeks later we met at the shop again, which was 100 miles away for him, with a new license, and was able to take possession of the firearm. I had no problem with the shop and how they handled it, understanding that they have to follow the law to the letter. As an aside, the M1A is a fine rifle.

3 Likes

@Jeffrey37 sounds like a suitable transaction for all… less the extra driving. Welcome to the group!

^^^ :grin:

Thanks for the welcome! As I said earlier, I was fine with how the situation was handled. The gun shop was very professional, and did an exceptional job of explaining their position and the law. I should have checked with my son to make sure his license was updated before he made the first trip. And in the end, I would drive 400 miles total to get a free M1A! As I am sure a few others would also.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, @Jeffrey37! I also work at a gun range/store a couple of days a month (my second fun job) and I appreciate how understanding you were about having to have the latest information on the license.

I know a lot of people don’t realize the risk the FFL takes when they sell a firearm. There are a lot of financial and legal consequences if it’s not done correctly.

Glad he likes the rifle! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I’m getting a few new guns for Christmas/tax day, with one being a gift for a friend who has been helping me here and there.

The pistols with be a pair of these:

(That is dealer cost, I will be paying only a tad bit more)

And one of these for my friend:

He had one awhile back but could not keep it. I will pay for it and all he will have to do is go in, pass the paperwork, and take it home. Again, the price you see is dealer cost but the markup is very little ($25).

2 Likes

The hint I gave my friend is that on roughly such and such a day, he is to visit the store, pay for the background check, pass it, and pickup his gift.

The hint I dropped for myself was a sale so good, that with the price I will get them for, it will be less than typical dealer pricing.

2 Likes

I think you’re going to love the Caniks @Orpackrat :smiley: I’m definitely a fan.

1 Like

@Zee

I hope so, the G34 I have, I’m not a fan of the sights. Not a good shot with them when it comes to speed… so I’m going to replace the sights for a profile I like.

1 Like

@Orpackrat here are a couple of threads on the Canik. One thing to pay attention to is if you’re getting stovepipes or failure to ejects, there is a spring kit that gives you a slightly lower power recoil spring and will solve the problem. My hubby (with his tree-trunk wrists) doesn’t have any issues with the stock spring, but I needed the slightly softer one… and now its perfect. You can get the spring kit here: https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-single-action-recoil-spring-pack.html

and on the new TP9 Elite SC subcompact:

2 Likes