Drawing from a holster with a flashlight

Does your range have competitions ? Which ones and do the competitors have to pass a class to compete ?

2 Likes

Good grief

2 Likes

No drawing from a holster with a light on the gun should be no more dangerous than drawing without a light on the gun. Just about all LE, Military and. Government agencies have seen the light (pun intended) on how great an attached light can be on a gun and many of them have adopted the practice. Itā€™s not really a debatable point since there is no real downside (all upside) including the answer to the OP question. There is no additional danger while drawing.

5 Likes

So no incident . In a properly fitted holster for that perticular weapon & light & by practice following the safety rules of gun ownership how can this even be an issue?

3 Likes

No we donā€™t have competitions. Sometimes we compete during classes, but nothing official.

As I mentioned before - drawing from holster is allowed after shooter passes ā€œholster classā€, so the RSOs know he/she can do this safely.

Is the competition different with holstering? Not at all.

Regarding Range Safety Rules - talk with Insurance Company which covers the Range. Mostly this is the place you get valid answer if your Range can or cannot allow to draw from holster (flashlights have nothing to do with this).
Definitely it is a good idea to be sure that shooter knows what to do.
Iā€™ve seen few ā€œknowledgeableā€ shooters who shot the bench at shooting line or drop the pistol hitting the benchā€¦ :man_facepalming:
Thatā€™s why my Ranges require classes before practicing with holster.

3 Likes

4 Likes

itā€™s more like this:

pingpong

4 Likes

I was trying to avoid opinion, was looking for things more factual. Thanks

2 Likes

Soā€¦ imaging that I am a range officer tasked with answering the question if drawing from a holster with a flashlight is more dangerous than withoutā€¦. Then I would look for incidents where this has happened and find out as many details as I could find. Yourā€™s being the first incident I have ever heard of specifically blaming the flashlight, I would be bugging you for all the details I could get:)

Though I respect your discretion in order to protect your rangeā€™s and its membersā€™ reputations. However, I think as long as you donā€™t name names everyoneā€™s privacy would be protected.

6 Likes

Then I believe the question might have been ā€œDoes anyone know of an incident where an attached flashlight caused a dangerous situationā€?

So far I would say the answer is No!

7 Likes

@Jacob2 I may have found some info for you, although not exactly what you were looking forā€¦

I was recently listening to a podcast from Ballistic Radio by John Johnston, and he had on the show Chuck Haggard and they were talking about weapon lights on pistols in the context of CCW and/or LEO. They mentioned about maybe 20mins in (approximately, i was driving at the time and didnā€™t mark the time) that they both knew of many negligent discharges when using a weapon mounted light. I was stunned as Iā€™ve never heard of one. As they continued talking, it became apparent that the ND they were referring to were not related to drawing of the pistol, but rather in the heat of the moment pulling the trigger when they meant to activate the light.

So Iā€™m not sure if this helps or not your search. This may be the source that whoever initially implemented the ban on weapon lights may have been to prevent ND, but it may not have been directly related to the draw action/motion.

On the whole its an interesting discussion on the usefulness of a WML on a CCW pistol.

http://ballisticradio.com/2021/06/01/handgun-wmls-are-not-necessary-season-8-episode-344/

4 Likes

@Harvey,
It kinda makes sense and I could actually see that happening. They meant to activate the light and negligently pulled the trigger. When you are under pressure and in a rush anything can happen. Muscle memory can fail in a life and death situation.

3 Likes

Thanks, so far that is what my research has indicated. Holstering and activating the lights do pose a safety issue, but not drawing from the holster with the light.
I appreciate your link.

3 Likes

I believe that the issue is not the flashlight specifically. The issue in my opinion is the operator of the firearm with a flashlight that is the incorrect light and the lack of practice drawing from a holster.
I have used both laser and flashlight for a number of years and each has it purpose depending upon the individual needs.
Some think it is COOL, others just to have and other still because someone told it was a good idea.
Whichever your though process is, train with it.

2 Likes