Drawing from a holster with a flashlight

Gotta love the knee-jerk reactions… Doesn’t everybody “feel” just so much better now?! (sar)

2 Likes

Extually… I’m feeling confused… :roll_eyes:

I can understand that something always can happen. We cannot predict everything.
But I cannot understand how the flashlight makes the holstering process dangerous.
Danger comes from the user or from the improper usage of the tools, not from the tool by itself.

3 Likes

I’m somewhat intrigued by the question, but, without specifics about the incident that precipitated it, I don’t have enough info to speculate. Just sayin’

4 Likes

Do you mind sharing the pros, why members would like to lift the ban?
What benefit would it do to them?

2 Likes

The weight of the flashlight could stabilize the gun,… giving an unfair advantage on shooting accuracy! :thinking: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

If you usually have a light on your gun for self defense, then practicing and competing with the light will train better muscle memory for if you ever have to do the real thing. Suspect the gun will have a noticeably different balance with the light on the front.

I don’t have a light on my gun but this reminds me I need to do a lot more practice shooting supported by my off hand with a light instead of a two handed grip.

4 Likes

Not really into specifics, the question is does a flashing mounted on a pistol make it any more dangerous when drawing from a holster than not having the flashlight mounted. That is the question. We can all be backseat drivers and can speculate after the wreck, but thats the question Im tasked with finding actual factual information on. Sharing the events would provide speculation and opinion but not factual information.

2 Likes

I have never seen or heard of anyone tracking negligent discharges. Maybe the NRA has some info? But I doubt that info would have a lot of details about the specific equipment used and potential causes. Your sample size with flashlights is likely to be very small and statistically insignificant. I think the best you can hope for is anecdotal experiences and thoughtful conjecture. In the later case, the more details of your particular incident, the better.

As long as the holster is properly designed and the user is practicing proper trigger discipline I cant think of any reason why it would be more dangerous. Aside from my earlier thought of someone trying to activate a side switch light while drawing. I could see a person with poor training and practice maybe screwing that up. But even that would be very uncommon, I think.

2 Likes

The reason a search doesn’t come up with anything (and I truly mean no offense here) is the question is a bit absurd. There is no reason that having a weapon mounted light in a holster would have any influence either positive or negative on the draw process in regards to safety.

Having a weapon mounted light can have a marginal influence on your draw speed, because (this depends on the light, but I believe it is most, if not all) the holster handles retention by friction/pressure on the light instead of the usual grip around the trigger guard. This isn’t any less safe or secure, just a different method of providing retention.

I understand you don’t want to give specifics on the incident with the ND/AD but without any details I can only assume some sort of either user error (improper technique, improper setup) that wouldn’t have anything to do with weapon lights in general. I’m struggling to even imagine a scenario of an ND/AD that would lead me to blame the light. Folks are asking to remove it because there isn’t really a reason they should be banned in the first place.

3 Likes

Honestly it sounds like a case of a “generic” WML holster. When formed correctly the retention of the holster is on the light itself which means the shell is formed specifically for BOTH weapon and light.

As long as the holster is a PROPERLY made (fitted for both the firearm and the light) there should be zero issues and zero safety hazards. But a “one size fits most” type of holster could have some potential risks, especially leather/nylon or soft shelled holsters. Anything where the firearm/light protrude from the bottom could be an issue.

4 Likes

I personally don’t believe it’s dangerous in any way as long as you know what you are doing and practice the draw. Light or no light, what danger can it cause?

3 Likes

Seriously… NOTHING.

The worst that can happen is that it can be accidentally turned on… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

@Jacob2, Did the incident concern someone trying to turn on the weapon light and accidentally hit the trigger and caused a ND.

2 Likes

I agree with that 100 percent @Karacal. Maybe that’s what caused a ND.

2 Likes

@Jerzees, if that happened at the range I go to they ban the shooter.

3 Likes

And that’s the proper procedure.

At my local Ranges shooters have to pass the “holstering training class” to be allowed holster draw at the Range.
We never had any incident, so I don’t know what would be the punishment.

2 Likes

In order to form an intelligent decision one needs the facts.

You are fishing with no bait, expecting people to speculate on coulda, shoulda, woulda.

If you are going to persuade the “range” to reverse their position you need to address their concerns.

You have engaged a number of people to assist you without enough information to form an intelligent opinion.

3 Likes

Is there really something we can speculate on?

@Jacob2 asked couple questions and received good answers.

There is no other source that experience regarding this case.
If you cannot find “google answer” that means the problem does not exist.

NO

still NO, it is no more dangerous if you know how to properly use the firearm, flashlight and holster.

Let’s don’t make the huge problem where it doesn’t even exist.

5 Likes

So then why bother? Cannot give a answer without more info.

3 Likes

I appreciate all your answers.
I understand everyone wants all the juicy things of what happened, when, how, etc. however investigating a incident of a private range on a public forum is not something I am willing to do.
As to the why bother. Well, if you had a range and you asked your chief range safety officer if you should have a rule about drawing from a holster your CRSO would research it. I ask that you do the same, pretend there was no incident and the range asked you if drawing from a holster with a flashlight attached is any more dangerous than drawing from a holster without a flashlight attached. You dont need to know what happened, because at that point something might not have happened. That is what I asked here. Pretend there was no incident at all, there was just the question.
Thanks

3 Likes