Drawing from a holster with a flashlight

I am doing some research to see if drawing a pistol from a holster with a flashlight attached is more dangerous than not having the flashlight attached. I am looking for some good data either way. I googled searched and did not see anything . Do any of you have any good sources one way or another. This would be for the competitive world like USPSA or IDPA, etc.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen a need for a flashlight.

2 Likes

the question is not if one is needed, the questions is does having one make it more unsafe to draw from a holster.

2 Likes

I think flashing here I am is more dangerous.

3 Likes

You really aren’t helping. Im a CRSO trying to find any data I can if our range should allow drawing from a holster with a flashlight attached or not. Its not if a flashlight is needed or how dangerous you are.

2 Likes

What makes you ask this question?

2 Likes

I don’t see any reason why the flashlight, ar any attachment may cause danger during holster draw.

Just remember to use holster designed for a gun with that flashlight… :wink:

8 Likes

Ive been tasked by our range to see if drawing from a holster with a flashlight is more dangerous than drawing from a holster without a flashlight due to a unsafe incident.

3 Likes

Ooooo! Please elaborate!

2 Likes

Did it appear the flashlight caused the incident? I can’t imagine how a flashlight would cause an AD. maybe a ND if the shooter is trying to activate a light switch during the draw? And I guess maybe if using a gun and light combo in a holster that wasn’t designed for them.

7 Likes

Quick draw and flashlight hung and pulled the trigger?

4 Likes

I cannot find any differences here. Neither with speed nor safety.

6 Likes

Did the flashlight get caught on something during the draw or interfere with the draw in such a way that could cause additional problems.

3 Likes

I have not seen any info either way but what I would recommend is dry run practice. Practice with an unloaded weapon for some time and keep some kind of record, paper or video.

3 Likes

Drawing your gun with a flashlight attached to it would be no different than without a flashlight on it. Holstering it you still have to make sure you do not get your clothes caught on it as you place it in. Drawing it you still have to make sure you clear your shirt out of the way and get a good grip placement before you even pull the gun out of the holster. Do like Lu-Can said,

Practice, Practice, Practice. and train too!

6 Likes

A friend of mine was repairing a machine once & sent a new fella to the crib for some 5/8 bolt holes. He went… perhaps the range is hosing you…

2 Likes

Nope, there was a incident and the range banned flashlights on pistols in competition, but members are asking the ban to be lifted and as a CRSO my input is requested.

3 Likes

Ok so what was the deal? The 5 cell maglite was duct taped & kept sticking to the holster.

5 Likes

I have a Olight on my G30sf and have practiced for 2 years with it. Trigger finger is always on the slide until the barrel is down range, holstering the same way. I cannot see why there would be a ND unless you had a finger on the trigger while drawing or holstering.

3 Likes

Instead od banning the shooter, they banned flashlight?
I’m wondering what would be banned if there was no flashlight involved in the accident …

4 Likes