Don't Do It - Should I buy a gun?

Cops that sit the fence on my rights for political expediency will receive no support from me.

BLM can also equal BLM.

6 Likes

I haven’t advised anyone in my circle not to get a firearm. I informed them of the responsibilities that comes with owning a firearm, whether for home defense or concealed carry. I let them know the importantance of knowledge of gun laws, before deciding to purchase one.

7 Likes

I understand what your complaint is but that wasn’t the question. Through training some people realize the responsibility that goes along with owning as well as using a firearm and chose themselves not to own one. As for your take I can tell you officers follow orders, right or wrong they follow orders. Chiefs, Sheriffs, State police commissioners hand down orders to the rank and file. Many of us are 2nd amendment supporters but it isn’t easy to just walk away or take a side while under orders. So our only recourse is be sick stay home which does nothing to help either side. You and everyone who is responsible enough should own firearms for their protection. Just train and be safe. That officer was wrong in telling you shouldn’t.

7 Likes

I’ve never been in a situation where I could have given advice to a non firearm owner who should have been discouraged from buying their first firearm. I have unfortunately run into a few current firearm owners who should have been strongly discouraged from ever owning one:(

13 Likes

if kids are around I tell them to NEVER touch a weapon,to tell me and I will stay with them and teach them how to field strip the weapons, and my kids have never picked up one of my weapons,if they want too I will satisfy their curiosity about them,i took them to the range and let them fire the 22 pistol and the 22 rugger rifle,the larger calibers they fired when older

4 Likes

Can someone please fix the title to mean something. This isn’t FB

4 Likes

Title Fixed

2 Likes

Cool. I had heard the theory of satisfying their curiosity by teaching and showing them. I can see how that can be helpful, for if we don’t show them, they might go off on their own and have an accident in doing so, if unsupervised appropriately.

Curiosity and peer pressure can be powerful. Plus, we get to instill that safety “value”, and maybe a life long supporter of the “right”. Peace.

3 Likes

II got my first weapon at 6 years old ,a bolt action 22and wood go to the river bottoms to bring home the meat we lived in a shotgun house and it took 3 times to forget to open the bolt when I was coming in the door mom never said a thing but once and she would send me flying out the back door,that is learning weapon saftey the hard way never forgot that lesson

2 Likes

Yes. I knew a guy who decided to get a gun for home defense. After talking with him, he never planned to shoot it in practice, he never planned to take even a beginner’s course on gun safety, he didn’t want to talk about gun safety or handling (he had never handled a firearm in the past), and he didn’t like the thought of a biometric bedside safe, he planned to put it in his nightstand (he has three grade school kids at home). I advised him against it, because without learning to safely store, use and care for it, it would be dangerous to have one. He bought one anyway. He’s the proud owner of a Hi-Point .40 cal. (perhaps the cheapest gun in the store). We worked together for two more years. He stored it at home in the case it came in and had a box of Winchesters in the nightstand with it. When he transferred jobs, he had not taken it out of the case to even clean it, but he had loaded the magazine “just in case”. With any luck, he will never need it. If his home gets invaded, I hope he throws it at the invader. A person like this shouldn’t have a gun.

10 Likes

Appreciate the interesting story Stone . Aside from safety, I think education and training elevates our “rights community”.

I believe I got so much out of the minimally required education/training I received. It was invaluable and put me on a track to keep learning.

4 Likes

@Stone
That was me in 2013 except like a sponge, I absorbed all the info from the guy behind the gun range counter who rented me a G19. YouTube and gun forums became my friend.
Lots info in this age, there’s no excuse to not learn about safe handling of firearms.

8 Likes

Roger that. I have told other people who are ‘gun wealthy’ they should sell a couple and take some classes. Get good at using the ones you have, instead of collecting things you don’t use. One of the best classes I took was an NRA Basic Shooting class after I had been shooting and carrying for 30 years. When we got to the shooting portion, it started raining. We shot in the rain. There were only two of us in class, a good friend and me. We both passed the class and the instructor asked if we brought more ammo, we did and continued running drills and scenarios for another 250 rounds each - in the rain. Draw, move, reloads, dummy round in the magazines, multiple strings of fire, shooting around barrels and multiple targets. Dripping wet and grinning from ear to ear, best training day of my life. All distance were under 10 yards, most were seven or five. The two of us dropped one round each. Considering what we did, I don’t know if I could have shot that good on a dry sunny day. You can’t get that training in an indoor range. Training is critical, shooting, self-defense theory and legal basics.

6 Likes

Indeed. One of my students was an older woman who just couldn’t get her head in the game. We went through the 8 hour class and by the end of it I wanted to put her in a body bag. After the class I just told her I could not give her the certificate for her conceal carry as I had to constantly correct her in just the basic way to safely handle a firearm. She did come back a year later and retook the course and passed safely
in her defense she was getting married in a couple of weeks (which I thought was interesting since she was in a firearms class
hmmm :roll_eyes:)
I think the hubby is still breathing tho’

6 Likes

@stone. I just took a basic class. I was the only one in there that had a license but I learned new things and a good review. I moved from one state to another and wanted to hear about the laws here and meet other gun owners. I have one gun, I love it. I may get another one someday, but I want to be good at shooting my S&W. I understand the addiction of owning a lot of firearms but for now, I’m keeping it simple.

4 Likes

It’s not an addiction, but as one learns and grows, finds different firearms fit certain niches. I like my sub-compact 9, but I like my .45ACP full-frame more. Both have the same manual of arms, with a slightly shorter DA pull on the 9, but both fit my hand well, and are not much different in size from the backstrap to the trigger. Their different aspects make one better than the other at certain things. The 9 has less recoil and is easier to conceal and I can shoot slightly faster. The .45 I shoot slightly slower, it takes a bit more to conceal carry, but recoil, though heavier, is smoother and I am more accurate with it. The 9 is 13+1, the .45 10+1.

2 Likes

Wanda, Glad you enjoyed the class. My favorite one was taken with a friend I had been coaching, we shot outside in the rain, longer than expected and loved it. I have had several classes besides the one required for my permit and I always learn something. I too only have one gun (wink, wink), but if a person gets good with one do they really need a bunch of others? One day you will be coaching newbies, you know you will. And when they get it right you will be proud of them, like I am you, my sister in arms. And I may have stolen a meme or two from your stuff again.

I just got this sent off to Doug this weekend, he is someone I have been coaching and is a close friend. We were running short sts at 10 yards and with the last magazine I cleared the red center of my target (slow fire, not sets for the last mag), then challenged Doug to do the same. He stepped up to the line and did it. Not the tightest group over all but when it mattered most he came through. We can work on the low left thing, but that was shooting sets. Not a fancy award, but I was so proud of him. Was proud of two of my sisters when they passed their CCDW test too.

Stay safe out their kid, we are in this thing together and the life you save could be mine.

Stone

3 Likes

@Dave17 I totally get it. Im just new enough that I need to concentrate on one thing at a time. My next gun will be something with optics, not sure which one will be next, but I did say ‘next’. lol.

My S&W MP Shield EZ Performance is perfect for me, sweet trigger, manageable recoil (380), and we’re good together. Her name is Raven
 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Stone
I can see me passing on what I know and will do so happily.

Wow! That’s amazing. I tend to shoot low left also. But this instructor from the class told me to try putting the joint of my trigger finer instead of the pad, on the trigger. It helped. I havent cleared the center yet but I always stop the threat. Im proud of my progress and grateful for my mentors. I try rapid fire sometimes for practice but usually take my time and aim, eyes open, concentrating on all the logistics. I usually end the session with open fire, no time to use sites, aim and shoot. thats probably more realistic.

This was a with their 22 Ruger and 20 rounds allowed in the class. About 5 yards?

PS Feel free to share the memes!!

7 Likes

If you hit palm of hand, that is good self-defense shooting.

3 Likes