Do you respond to people that maybe give you a look if they happen to see your gun?

That’s an unfortunate problem you get into with “mega churches” and sure complicates matters.

2 Likes

Oh, you must have missed the point of the discussion here, it’s all about how we react when someone has noticed we’re carrying.

Yes, I’d bet you do get noticed everywhere you go and even if open carrying it probably would have little to do with the gun. :wink:

2 Likes

I had the same cituation once but at a convenit store.the guy looked and started to say something.i looked at him and said just dont. He kepted his mouth shut.

2 Likes

You missed a great opportunity to win over at least one convert there.

2 Likes

In agreement with you 100% @Lacy. It’s not just about how we react, but how others react as well.

Walking up to someone we don’t know who saw our gun can put them on the immediate defensive. They don’t know us, approaching them could be seen as threatening. Last thing I want is someone screaming “he has a gun” and pointing at me, I don’t need the unnecessary attention. This is why I choose to not acknowledge and leave them with the “did I see what I just thought I saw” argument going on in their head.

This is on point and very relevant to the conversation. Hopefully it gave people food for thought.

3 Likes

@BrophE thank you for the kind words. I don’t ever expect everyone to agree with me. It’s nice when someone does. Despite if someone doesn’t agree I believe it’s their right to. I agree with you in what I said is relevant to the conversation which is why I stated it. I stand by my convictions and will hold to my belief that what I said is the right thing to do. Anyways, enough said on that lol.

3 Likes

If they’ve already noticed your carrying and reacted you’ve already drawn attention to yourself. Might as well try to make a positive interaction out of it once that happens.

2 Likes

Lacy, after many years I have finally learned to not worry about whether or not people agree with me. I speak my beliefs and let other people speak theirs. Agreement is a secondary consideration.

Regards.

3 Likes

Go on about your business. If ask I will talk to them. I had one person ask if I had permit to carry. I get my ccw permit out and showed them. And that broke the ice.

2 Likes

After reading the interactions, I don’t think @Lacy missed it, @Wildrose. She was elaborating on why she wouldn’t go up and talk to the person unless they verbalized that they’d seen the firearm.

I think @Lacy makes a great point about not knowing someone’s background. A friendly smile and nod will show the other person that you’re aware and hopefully not-threatening. Being approached by someone carrying a gun may be intimidating for a lot of people who have a bad history with firearms.

6 Likes

@WildRose I think you’ve missed the point of what @Lacy and I are saying.

As @Dawn has also said the person who saw your gun doesn’t know you and you don’t know their history with guns. While you’re thinking it’s an opportunity to educate there’s a possibility it can escalate into a situation that brings unwanted attention your way.

Everyone has their way of handling situations. I prefer to cover up and keep moving.

4 Likes

Youy’re welcome to do so.

I would like to think that most of us can read other people fairly well too and know if someone has ill intent when they first make contact with you or shortly thereafter.

I’m not suggesting we get up close in their faces, that isn’t necessary nor is it advisable. If however you’re close enough that they have noticed your concealed handgun and let you know it the contact has already been made and the attention already drawn to you.

1 Like

Point missed completely!

4 Likes

Only time I acknowledge somebody is when they stop me to talk, other than that I go about business in and out quickly.

4 Likes

I found this on an article of what to say if someone asks you why you carry.

“Well, I believe that life is valuable, and therefore it is worth protecting. No matter who you are, if someone tries to harm you and I am close by and can help to defend you, I will do so.”

Here is the link if you would like it see it:

3 Likes

Good article. I disagree that we should all respond with some sort of standardized line though because why people carry varies and is very individualized.

I do think being polite, informative, and friendly with our responses however goes a long way towards helping our cause.

2 Likes

I haven’t had it happen. I must have chosen the right method for me (pocket carry).

1 Like

Well said Rose. We do paint the community one way or another.

1 Like

When I’m carrying concealed, no one ever notices. When I first started caring, I believe the advice that you have to carry a small gun in order to be able to conceal it. In reality, that is not true. With a proper holster and proper clothing I can conceal large handguns. So I really don’t carry small firearms anymore unless the weather is so hot outside that I can only pocket carry.

However, in Texas we can also open carry if we have a LTC permit. I sometimes open carry simply to be an ambassador for gun rights and promoting the idea that firearms can be carried safely by lawful citizens. So that does sometimes provoke a reaction.

When people see me, they see a person with gray hair and a bit of maturity, so most of them don’t feel threatened by me in the first place – even though I’m sure that I can benchpress more than 90% of the people I meet. But I have had a few interesting reactions.

One day a lady came up to me in the pharmacy, looked down at my Sig Sauer P220, then looked up at me. I smiled and she said, “I just want you to know that I am one of the people that are glad that you are carrying that gun.” I replied, “Thank you. And I want you to know that you are safer because I am doing so.”

Another time, my family and I were dining in a favorite Brazilian restaurant. It is customary for the manager to go around and greet guests and ensure that their experience is pleasant. He came over to me, looked at my firearm, and said, “I REALLY hope that YOU are happy with your service tonight.” He was clearly emphatic and referring to the fact that I had on a firearm. I assured him that I was happy as always with the service at that restaurant. Now, when this manager sees me coming into the restaurant, he personally rushes out to open the door for me and my wife and he often brings some of our food to the table personally even though we have a waiter to do so. That kind of service keeps me coming back.

Other people have come up to me and simply asked me what I was carrying and it often starts a conversation about what they carry or about their former military service. As of yet, I have had no one make negative comments about it simply because I have a respectable appearance and a calm demeanor. I think that first impressions have a lot to do with how people respond to us, although some people are always just nervous about firearms. One lady in my church is nervous around firearms because her brother was once injured by one due to an accident. Still, if her family had had proper firearms training and understood all of the safety rules, that incident likely never would have happened.

So it is just a good idea to consider yourself an ambassador for responsibly armed Americans. Usually if you are courteous to them, demonstrate that you are at ease with firearms, make a comment about the fact that you have been well trained in safe firearm carry, and offer her information about where she can do the same, then you’ll be good to go. A great idea would be to carry around the web address for the USCCA training site and give to people who are somewhat doubtful about firearms and encourage them or their family members to take a course in firearm safety. Or you could comment to her, “You should consider the women’s firearm safety course from USCCA.” or just point them to USCCA YouTube videos to get them acquainted in a nonthreatening way with the topic of firearm safety.

By far, however, the greatest impact you will make is to always be a courteous and friendly person so that people will get used to thinking that if the person is friendly, they have little to fear from the firearm. I really like the fact that you are thinking about appropriate ways to respond so that you know how to handle similar situations in the future. Of course, another alternative is to make sure that you carry concealed in an effective manner that prevents your firearm from printing through your shirt or being seen if you stretch, etc. In other words, if they don’t see it, they could be standing 3 feet from it and never be bothered by it. For most people, I would not advise open carry. When I open carry, it is for very deliberate purposes and I usually have on clothing that identifies me as a firearms instructor which keeps people at ease. But if I’m going anywhere else with my wife or family, I generally am carrying concealed. There is no need for people in a restaurant to get acid indigestion because they’re worried about the old guy with the gun on his hip.

You can work at your concealment skills just like you can work at your marksmanship skills. When I teach class, I often ask people whether I am concealing any firearms. They look and look and finally conclude that I probably am but they can’t determine where the firearm is. Then during the subsequent lecture time, I begin acting like I have an itch. And each time I have an itch in a different place, I reach and pull out another firearm. I usually can conceal 7 to 8 firearms on my person without anyone in the class being able to tell that I’m doing so. Obviously, I don’t walk around with eight firearms on my body or I would probably not move very far. But it just illustrates that concealment is a skill that can be mastered.

2 Likes

:laughing:
@dawn, don’t we have @KevinM on video doing that?