Do the employees at your LGS speak English?

Do the employees at your LGS speak English?

Yes, pure American English with East North Central accent.
Sometimes it seems they would like to use “modern” version and add some “F” words to their vocabulary (especially when dealing with variety of Customers) but they are smart enough not to do so. :wink:

5 Likes

Is there a subtext here we should know about?

5 Likes

Ok I’m lost here. Thought lgs was a type of epilepsy.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Miami LGS…

A 2021-12-19 20-11-24

The ones at my LGS speak American - no English, or at best broken English. Spend some time in the UK and you will quickly find out American and English are not the same language.

How many here know what a “lucky dip” is? Here’s a hint, it is not the same in American as English. Try to buy a rubber in England and see what ya get :grinning:

3 Likes

Me no espeeke inglish.

2 Likes

Give credit where credit is due.
In spit of everything I admire the strength and determination of some one that came from another country, has learned another language
(especially English ) has a job, pays taxes. Let’s not forget That’s what America was built on.
On the other hand it pisses me way off to talk to customer service for some off the largest organizations/company’s IE: Aetna, Ups, Walmart and I can’t even understand what the hell they are saying, when you ask them where they are they say “ off shore”. Hmmm sure sounds like the same accent that scam callers have, IE: IRS , Social Security, and the new one that makes me laugh my ass off is (border patrol ) .
PS: foreigners that have “ green cards can obtain pistol permits “

銃を買いたい > GUNSHOPS NO WORRY ~ IT WHATS IN YOUR WALLET THAT COUNTS.

3 Likes

My customer Allen, a member of the British Ministry of Defense (MoD), was staying in a hotel near the Orlando airport. He approached the front desk of the hotel around 9 or 10 PM. The young girl working the desk cheerfully asked him how he was and could she help him. Allen said “yes, I need a rubber.” The cheerful girl’s expression changed and she said “what did you say?’ Allen repeated himself, more clearly this time. The girl said “sir, we do not have any.” Not giving up, Allen said “I understand if you are running low on rubbers, then maybe I could just borrow one and I will return it later tonight after I am through using it.” The girl called the manager.

Allen went through the whole routine with the manager promising to promptly return the rubber after he was done using it. He had already spotted one behind the desk, so he knew they had at least one available. The conversation was beginning to get more heated, but cooled down quickly when Allen pointed to the rubber behind the desk and suggested he use it at the front desk rather than taking it to his room as he had originally intended. The manager realized Allen was pointing at an eraser sitting on the desk!

A rubber is used to “rub” out mistakes made when using pencil and paper. We call it an eraser In American.

5 Likes

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:
That was an extreme. :grinning:

I’ve been many times in similar positions. It wasn’t so bad, but it was funny to see other people faces when I use British words.

I was in clothing store to buy these: trainers, waistcoat, trousers, braces.
In grocery store I was looking for: aubergine , courgette. :slightly_smiling_face:
When I ask mechanic to repair my car, I was mentioning bonnet and car’s boot. :stuck_out_tongue:

But the funniest “mistake” I’ve ever made was when I had been telling everyone for 3 years that my flat is on first floor :kissing_smiling_eyes: I was corrected that I don’t rent “flat” but “apartment”… however “first floor” gave a problem when I called 911 for my neighbour… and that day I found out that I lived on “second” . :zipper_mouth_face:

But these above are just differences. I don’t get how come people could work in gun store not knowing English language… :thinking:

2 Likes

Languages are funny things. You take a guy/gal from somewhere between Boston and Brooklyn and match em’ up with somebody from between Richmond and Savannah and you would swear they are from different countries. Same same with Scotland, Ireland and England. Just for fun throw in an Aussie and a Kiwi!

The one that always sticks out in my head is when a Brit says “Aye mate ye’ got a fag?” they really want a cigarette . Since cigarettes come in packs or “bundles” they are referred to as “fags” because a “f-a-g-g-o-t” (had to use - because of the word police) is a bundle of sticks used for starting fires. Kind of makes sense if you have to think about it.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

There was a time in my life that I did have a lucifer to light your fag. … and we’d both smile !!

3 Likes

I mounted a torch on one of my handguns :rofl:

4 Likes

If LGS=Local Gun Shop then yeh, 100% Midwest with a bit of a Ky accent here n there.

3 Likes

Thanks I was really starting to dislike foreigners, I’m better now.

2 Likes

We are all foreigners if we leave our country….don’t hate em, teach em to be patriotic citizens……if they’re here legally. If not, encourage INS to visit em.

3 Likes

Blyat!

Hmmm just a quip about the English mostly as I was just looking for an answer & had to read through this to get it. & Dislike is not hate, I don’t hate anyone however I do truly dislike some.

2 Likes

They do at all of my local gun shops.

@Craig6 >> interesting that we use words we picked up when we were children in some cases and still don’t know the true definition of the a word, and even if do we still use it based it’s slang meaning.
IE:

2 Likes