What does everyone look for in a gun store

Hey everyone,

I recently took the plunge and opened a gun store. I am wanting to know what everyone is into. So far we have a decent selection of handguns and rifles.

I really like the PSA daggers. I have had a couple customers come in and tell me it feels cheap. Does anyone else feel this way or were these guests just not finding what they wanted?

11 Likes

Hello and welcome @worthitsupply_usccao
What May feel cheap to one person may be the best pistol for them and vis versa.
Most likely they did not find what they wanted.
Weā€™re they first time buyers?
I purchased a cheaper pistol, Stoeger STR-9 OR, and think itā€™s more enjoyable than what the competition offers for $200 more.

10 Likes

Prices.

Overall selection of firearms.

Selection of magazines and optics. Pricing of magazines and optics.

Transfer practices and prices.

I expect to see a decent selection, for handguns, of Glock, S&W, H&K, Ruger, Walther, Sig, some CZ, Springfield, and more, various models for all.

Itā€™s probably tough to break into, IME I have only lived where there are several existing gun stores ā€˜close enoughā€™ that have a big selection and good prices.

What I DONā€™T car about is the ammo they have. At all. Iā€™m not buying ammo from any LGS, pretty much universally, I know they canā€™t compete with online. But if they have a good pistol selection I"ll pay a little more to get it there

11 Likes

Welcome

3 Likes

Probably because, like other commodities, they believe $$$ equates to quality. I have not tried one out, but all the reviews I have read were positive, though I am not a Glock fan, so I still would not be interested.

I like Berettas, but I am not in the market for any firearms currently. I like knives, but I also donā€™t have a yen for any additional ones currently - and I strictly buy American steel, refuse to buy Chinese anything. I did see a couple recently that I liked the style of, but Chinese origin put the kabosh on that.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think they were. But they could have been.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @worthitsupply_usccao and we are glad you are with us. People here are purchasing a lot of optics and ammo by the bulk. Make sure you have a variety of accessories such as holsters, night sights, WML etc. Have a good variety of conceal carry and home defense firearms and of course AR15s. May your business be blessed and may you prosper from it.

10 Likes

Welcome and wishing you great success.

IDK. I still consider myself such an amateur and newbie. I do appreciate shops which cater to younger family members, user friendly to women, safety, and which offer classes. I noticed one shop near me added a rifle scope section, but I think more so for hunters. However, they are expensive, way out of my league. Iā€™m more vintage when it comes to scopes.

Had considered used firearms, but so far, the one I bought - Iā€™ve been having trouble with; so I might have been scared away from ā€œusedā€.

I wonder if CWD has had any negative impact on deer hunting. I suspect SD is still a strong market.

3 Likes

Be truthful, give a little extra help to newbies, show them how to insure the gun is clear when handing it over. Just my gripes with the gun shop by me when I bought my first gun. Every gun that I looked at he said was his best seller. I just donā€™t trust the guy now. Iā€™ll drive an extra 10 miles to a different shop.

7 Likes

@worthitsupply_usccao Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you. :slightly_smiling_face:
A big draw for me would be if you can order a firearm for a customer if you donā€™t carry it, in a timely manner. :+1:

10 Likes

I can absolutely do that. I prefer to do that actually sometime I can even get it a little under MSRP.

4 Likes

What doesnā€™t feel cheap today?

One of the things I look for in my local gun store or any family owned business, is respect. The first time I visit and spend, I expect to be treated as if I have a million dollars in my pocket. The second time I visit and spend, I expect, not, to be bothered like Iā€™m shopping for a mattress. The third time I visit I expect to be welcomed by name and treated like family! I very much appreciate value for my loyalty!
When all of these virtues are met, youā€™ve gained a customer for life!

A couple of customers commented that something felt cheap. Was the customer challenged? What made the product seem cheap! That customer showed disrespect. Especially if you know your product to be top notch! That customer objected to the price, there was nothing cheap about the dagger!

Retired now, after 35 years in the art business.
Heck of a plunge in this environment!
Welcome aboard!

4 Likes

Totally agree with the respect. And seriously by the third time I agree with Scott52, know and call them by name

3 Likes

I also agree. With the size I am right now itā€™s very easy to do that. But I am also horrible with names. I remember faces tho. I can definitely give you a firm handshake and say welcome back.

9 Likes

9 Likes

I want friendly, knowledgeable staff behind the counter. The rest we can work on. The biggest sin is when someone tries hard to sell me something because itā€™s what they have, but not what I need or want. Lose a sale to honesty win a long term relationship.

13 Likes

Worthitsupply, first off Good Luck. Everybodyā€™s tastes are different and thatā€™s where customer service comes in. If you donā€™t have a large inventory, Iā€™d recommend leaving the guns in their boxes, it fills up the shelves. Present the guns to the potential buyer in a safe manner, itā€™s a good habit. Iā€™d recommend wiping any gun down after someone handles them even the least expensive guns. Donā€™t try to sell the Scandium frame snub nose 357 to someone just because you have a couple of them. Help them if they need it, and explain to them why you feel that something might not suit them. I saw a dealer sell a Bond Derringer to a woman who couldnā€™t pull the hammer back. Not cool. Nice actions are never forgotten. You may want to give a new buyer discount or throw in a set of targets etc. Just a thought. Know your guns and your clientele. Just my opinion. Best luck!

9 Likes

Congratulations! I hope you get local community support.

We once had a brave patriot open a gun store in town.
Real nice guy, would give customers his time.
He had reloading training sessions on Saturdays.
He was my ammo source because his prices were competitive.
However, his firearms prices are easily $30-$50 more than Bass Pro or Sportsmanā€™s Warehouse. A LGS south of us was much cheaper.
I bought a pistol even with knowledge that I couldā€™ve saved $50 elsewhere, simply because I wanted to provide some boost.
Sadly, foot traffic wasnā€™t enough.

5 Likes

What I look for in my LGS. I like to be treated like Iā€™m there to do business, acknowledge me, ask me what Iā€™m there for, direct me to the right place in the store then Get Away From Me. Iā€™ll let you know when I need more assistance.

8 Likes

This is a good point also.

The gun stores I go to, and buy basically all my guns from, they donā€™t actually sell me anything. Like, at all.

They show me what I ask to see and maybe put in a word on it or and maybe say also this or this because hereā€™s a word on it, and, thatā€™s it. And if I donā€™t ask to see anything, they just ask to make sure I donā€™t have questions or want to see anything. Thatā€™s, it

8 Likes