Been to a Gun Show lately?

I have been wanting to go to a gun show for sometime now. It is like an itch that I can not reach. I am a hands on type of person. I do not order clothes over the internet, it never works for me. I want to talk to people and see what is out there. I want to roam the isles and see the classics, as well as, the new. Instead of going from store to store seeking things out, I want basically for them to come to me.
I am curious though too, Would there be anything at the gun shows if it happened this weekend? Ammo? Primers? powder? Guns? I need to find a range I can work at. I should just make my own. Sorry for just rambling but, It is on my mind. As they say, Build it and they will come!

3 Likes

I went to one nearby at the beginning of the month.

2 Likes

They come through the Hampton Roads, VA at least 4 to 5 times a year. Since the pandemic you have to make appointments on line just to get in and purchase tickets and space is limited. I have not gone recently but enjoy going when I can. The gun shows here are basically in 2 places, the Hampton Coliseum and Virginia Beach Convention Center.

1 Like

I went to a gun show in the Tampa, FL area in September (I think). There was ammo, but not a lot, and it was expensive. I’ve never seen reloading supplies at a FL gun show.

2 Likes

The last I attended was in March '20. It was only a little smaller than usual, table wise, but plenty for sale.
Septembers show was cancelled.
We had another last weekend. Due to lack of funds, I didn’t go. A friend that did, told me that I hadn’t missed anything.
1/2 the size of normal. No dealers. Just individuals selling collections. Any and everything offered was marked 2x what one would expect to pay.

2 Likes

How was it?

1 Like

What are some of the things you look for?

1 Like

Brother @Todd30 I try to look at and handle as many handguns as I can. The ones I’m interested in I try to wheel and deal and be nice to the vendors and maybe they lower the price. :wink:YEAH RIGHT.

1 Like

Have not been in years. Around here, it was just overpriced stuff, and a bunch of cheap knives and clothing.

Tried to go to one down in south Louisiana, but they would not allow me in with my EDC, so we left.

1 Like

Went to one during the Fall season, 2020. Purchased a few 50 round boxes of a couple of calibers. Were only a couple of bucks more than Feb. 2020 prices. Now that three months went by, not sure of their inventories or prices nowadays.

However, had that flea market feel; Whereas there is nothing like the feel of a new box from a store or online, but one pays the price of course. Admit I did not look out for the non ammo stuff as I was not in the market for that, but they had other accessories. Folks advised me not to carry ammo in, else risk that they keep it, heard some not allow a firearm inside, so glad I had a good lock box in the car.

2 Likes

1984 I went to the Los Angeles fair grounds in Pomona, CA. I saw a guy dressed like a road warrior carrying a shotgun going into the show. I saw my first view of a laser sight. I met a guy who sold me a 44 magnum. I really enjoyed it until I got to a range and the firing pin spring was wore out and did not fire. That would have been a hoot if I needed that in an emergency. I later picked up a 357 Smith and Wesson that I had for the longest time.
I also found a couple ranges that had a Hogans alley. I do not hear of any places anymore that have a Hogans Alley. I really enjoyed running the training program on it. Speed, accuracy and shoot or don’t shoot is good training skills to practice.
I was also wondering if they have these computer programs at the show.

2 Likes

It was pretty good. There were a fair number of vendors. I didn’t find what I was looking for, but I did score some .45 LC ammo.

2 Likes

I’ve had better luck at local Sportsman’s Club swap meets. Better prices, better stuff. Gun Shows will have a better selection of ammo from the source (around here LAX and Miwall) but all prices are going to be high right now.
I generally look for bullet molds, used reloading tools (Redding, Pacific, RCBS etc…) ammo cans, books, lead for casting and gun cleaning supplies like GI patches and solvent. Powder and primers, if they have any, are sometimes good deals as there are no hazardous shipping fees but I’ll only consider factory sealed containers

2 Likes

2020 canceled due to virus scare
2021 canceled due to virus scare

at least local, some other towns still having theirs

1 Like

I found this website listed below helpful to find shows. It lists gun shows nationwide, and one can find shows local to your area. From it, I went to one show. For now, I have enough of what I need, but should I not be able to find an item from brick and motor stores or online, I might try going to another show again.

Tips

Email or call the number listed a few days prior to the event, and check their websites again, to ensure it’s not canceled.

Some shows might not allow buyers to bring ammo or a firearm inside, so you may want to ask in advance or at the door. Plan ahead, asking yourself, do you want to leave it at home, or store your EDC gun and ammo locked securely in your car’s steel safe-box, or leave them with someone in your car to safeguard it. I got lucky, there was no signage at the show I went to, I got the impression it was a “do not ask, do not tell” vibe. Check their local laws listings.

https://gunshowtrader.com

2 Likes

Yes Sir, about 3wks ago. Very nice show about 30-40 booths. There was ammo mostly foreign manufacturers, bulk range ammo and very old stock stuff. Prices high!!! Reload components a few…primers were $300/1000. Guns available just had look for what your willing to pay! All prices doubled from a year ago. I left with a well used 9mm seating die I needed for $10…that was it except for a tear in my eye. :cry:

2 Likes