Walked to the Register for a Mag?

I bought a $15 magazine from Cabelas today. I was walked to the front of the store, so I left right after buying the mag…

Is this a thing? I know this is typical for gun purchases, but magazines? Academy doesn’t do this. I try not to be too harsh because I don’t always know what red tape a business has to go through, but I still thought it was nuts.

3 Likes

Hummm, interesting?!
We’ll see if it was just a one-off.

2 Likes

Cabela did the same thing with me when I bought a knife from the display… but behind me hanging on the racks were probably a hundred knives. I said something sarcastic and obeyed.

2 Likes

You know, I just don’t have fun shopping any more.
I have only been in 1 store other than HEB (grocery) and Home Depot since the Wuhan thing started last March.

I really miss the old days.

6 Likes

I rarely buy anything except groceries in person. I’ve probably been inside a non-grocery retail store maybe three times in the past year. That’s a normal year for me.

4 Likes

@Scoutbob I have a question. Was this an item you were handed out of display case or took from a rack of some sort. Don’t understand either way but wondering why/how you became a focal point for the staff. I think I would have asked a question when I noticed I was being followed.

2 Likes

It was hanging on one of those racks that required a magnet to unlock. They didn’t follow me. The employee walked the magazine to the register like they often would do with a gun.

He even asked me if I was done shopping. It’s not like he was keeping me from getting it, or even pushing me out of the store.

I’m wondering if he made that policy up, or if it’s just a dumb corporate or manager policy. I was having trouble finding help to get the mag off the rack, so I did go to the knife counter. Maybe that had something to do with it.

It’s just weird. We’re talking about a store that leaves rifles out in the open for customers to pick up and examine.

3 Likes

The only thing I can think of is they have a lot of theft of those?
Otherwise, chalk it up to … I don’t even know what to chalk it up to?!

2 Likes

Ok, sounds to me that @Fizbin nailed it. Must be a highly pilfered item at least in that store. otherwise why magnet lock to the display. Still it is a pain.

2 Likes

@PossumSlayer1
I believe it’s standard store policy for locked items.
Kinda defeats the purpose if they locked it to keep it from being stolen, then, handed it to you and you ran away with it. You must have bought an item that is either high-priced or frequently stolen. My guess is the former. Cabelas isn’t cheap.

P.S. I got confused replying to two different posts.

2 Likes

PMag Glock mags are only $15. Acadamy just leaves them up. This is the only store I’ve seen lock them up. Maybe they are a commonly stolen item, especially in the currently climate. I would still rather not be treated like an assumed shoplifter. I understand they’re focused on money, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

3 Likes

This is only the beginning, we ain’t seen nothin yet! I don’t think the Jews saw it coming until Krystallnacht! Our problem is we’re watching it come straight for us. Unfortunately, we haven’t learned anything! Just don’t think it can’t happen here! Have no fear, Kamala will act as swiftly as Hitler!
Wait till they slap a gold AR-14 to your chest and send you to a reprogramming center instead of the cashier!
Think about it for just a second, they are not treating you like as assumed shoplifter, they’re treating you like a soon to be mass shooter!

1 Like

I have noticed that since Cabelas sold out to Bass Pro Shop, the prices have risen and the customer service has dropped. They have fewer employees and do more things that discourage customers.

3 Likes

I think that applies to all brick and mortar retailers

I have noticed over the past year, that many of the items and brands I have come to appreciate have been replaced by Bass Outdoor lines or companies that they already sell in their Bass Outdoor shops. Therefore my shopping at Cabela’s has been reduced.

@Scoutbob … At my local Cabela’s. The magazines are not locked up, but many of their flashlights are (usually half of the Stream lights and the one or two Surefires they keep in inventory).

I have only been walked up to the register for a Surefire EDCL1… I had to get some people behind the knife or gun counter to unlock the Stream lights I wanted, but they just handed them to me (recently)… this includes a $60 SL Macrostream and $100 HL4 and HL5. The funny thing is that they had boxes of $150 Strions/Stingers unlocked right next to them.

The last time I purchased a firearm there they didn’t walk me through the store either… Although that was before the Pandemic, and I paid at the gun counter.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the “new” Cabela’s might go the way of Wmrt and reduce or eliminate pistols and 5.56 and 7.62x39 rifles and corresponding ammo from their shelves. I would like to be wrong on this one.

2 Likes

Maybe. That would be a bad move on their part. I would stop shopping there for sure. They’re not Walmart. I get my groceries at Walmart.

I’ve watched DICKs sporting goods drop ever since they stopped selling AR-15s. They lost a big chunk of customers when they did that. Now the DICKS in my area doesn’t even sell guns at all. Their prices have always been higher than everywhere else too.

It does depend on legislation though. If democrats get what they want (I know there are pro gun democrats on here, but I’m sorry to say your party is extremely anti gun) the stores that sell these guns, and the manufacturers that sell them may be legally liable if they are ever used by an evil criminal. It’s unfortunate that many people are only figuring this out now. You never really know what you’ve got until it’s gone :man_shrugging:t2:.

It’s most likely a “shrink”, i.e. anti-theft, thing. Those items are small and easy to to steal.

2 Likes

I had one of their club point cards, not the credit card, just the points. When they switched to BPS I lost my points. And, when I earned points they said you had to have so many points before you can use what you had. They also said I had to type in my 20 number point card # in to their little box because it couldn’t read the card. They said at the member desk they could not send me a replacement card.

I don’t even use the stupid card anymore, and now don’t shop anywhere anymore anyway.

Since not shopping at brick and mortar for years now, and boycotting Amazon, I’ve saved so much money. It really was a God send for saving $$$.

2 Likes

When Gander Mountain went belly up I lost a lot of points & a year later Comenity Capital Bank closed my CC without notice. Not that I needed the card but kind of a kick in the teeth!

1 Like

I NEVER let my points accumulate. If there was an end of the world scenario and I had unused points my head would explode.

3 Likes