Displaying signs on property

Keep in mind that current crime rates are lower than they were back then

For years/nearly two decades after TN vs Garner, crime rates fell.

2 Likes

At least until the past 2 years or so. I have not seen the crime stats for our 2020 Summer of Love, followed by 2021 and 2022. They will likely be far worse than the past two decades of decline.

4 Likes

I would wager they aren’t that high, but, even if they are, making it from the mid 80’s until 2020+ post TN vs Garner would still, to me, indicate that not shooting feeling criminals is correlated to lower crime, not the opposite. Really I don’t think that has a noticeable impact on nationwide crime stats, but, if it did, well, as above indications are that not shooting the fleeing criminals reduces crime
if we only look at those two variables

“Castle Doctrine Strictly Enforced”

2 Likes

7 Likes

You presume too much or too little.

All valuables on my property are behind locked doors. In my State the presumption is that anyone who breaks into your house puts you in fear of great bodily harm, so deadly force is justified.

5 Likes

Quote/reply chains can get confusing

My post that you replied to was in response to this statement:

“If I have to work to get the things I need or want and you take them without paying me for my work that makes me your slave, which is a 13th Amendment violation, justifying and 2nd Amendment response.”

3 Likes

Exactly, and obviously, there is no correlation, as using that same logic, releasing the criminals from prison, not prosecuting them, and catch and release, as was done during the “pandemic” would have further reduced crime rates. The news reports show quite the opposite.

Per my original post, I was not advocating for any policy nor making any assumptions, only making an observation, which is as valid as any other opinion on this topic.

3 Likes

I’m the only one who’s curious enough to ask:

“North Carolina law encourages owners of land to make property available for recreational use. The law states that a landowner who allows someone, without charge, onto their land for recreational purposes owes them the same duty of care they would owe a trespasser.”

What “duty of care” do NC folk “owe” a trespasser?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think that it would be pleasant. lol Maybe a “hey, you’re trespassing, leave now?”

2 Likes

I am just glad that Texas has had the CASTLE DOCTRINE for ages and it has over time been enforced with DEADLY precision,we also have concealed carry and open carry,and a year or so ago we got Constitutional carry,but I still only carry concealed in a shoulder holster and it does not print at all, and I never even feel the weapon as I am so used to carrying it and is part of me,and i never open carry simply I do not want to be the first target and want to surprise the perp.Also since the advent of body armor I practice the aiming at the head,neck and groin,all 3 are sure take downs,and the on demand lasers is a sure confrontation stopper when lit up between the eyes.

4 Likes

I am not sure what kind of sign. If you mean something like “Protected by Smith & Wesson” or similar, I would say your CHP friend is right. I believe no less an authority than Masaad Ayoub also recommends not posting such signs as anti-gun prosecuting attorneys are sure to try to bring the signage into evidence to show that you had a predisposition to violence and try to put the last nail in your coffin.

4 Likes

None that I know of. Years ago when we use to cruise. The city set places aside where young folks could hangout,Socialize and cruise. It came an end because people just couldn’t behave. By and large letting someone use land to recreate would end up the same way. Lots of folks are good folks. As we know it only takes a small number to mess it up for all.

2 Likes

If it was up to the anti-gun politicians, by walking around with a gun shows you planned on murdering somebody.

I disregard what any lawyer talk.

You use Fmj They’ll attack you for that.
You use Hollow Point they’ll attack you for that.
You carry a revolver, they’re going to ask if you think this is the wild Wild West.
Carry a Semi-automatic, they ask that if you think you are John Wick.
Shot the perp 5 times? They’ll ask why couldn’t you just shoot him 2 times?
Carry 15 rounds in the gun? They’ll ask why not carry a smaller gun.
You used a Glock? Why did you use a cop killer gun?

I mean if we made arguments on what not to do just incase anti-gun prosecuting attorneys come after you, than it’s better to not own guns, hide in your own basement, and never show your face to the public eye.

With that said, DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.

6 Likes

Ask a lawyer. You are not trying to do what is legal, but what makes sense

That is actually a terrible sign to have. “Beware of Dog” can, and has, been used in court to prove that you knew your dog is dangerous. “Dog on Premises” has the same effect, but does not place the resident in nearly the legal peril.

2 Likes

“Beware of four legged fur covered razor blades”:wink:

2 Likes

“Guard Dog On Duty”. :wink: sign is probably better than, “Beware Of Dog”, sign

But only if there’s an actual dog, right? Sheesh
we’re talking about deterring people with signs, no?

2 Likes

But then why not go all out?
“Beware of rabid dog”
“Beware of porcupines”
“Beware of smallpox”

2 Likes