Constitutional firearm laws

I personally believe in a ccw lic.
Now that is said.
Constitutional carry will other states honor it ?

4 Likes

Other states should honor others’ laws - the one requirement they ALL contain is that you should be qualified for a valid CCW, with a clean background record.

4 Likes

Usually Constitutional Carry is for that state’s citizens. If you have a CCW, check the USCCA map for reciprocity.

5 Likes

Doubtful. Of course, if your attorney needs to make a boat payment, you could travel to a non-Constitutional carry state, and announce to the local authorities that you are carrying pursuant to your state’s Constitutional carry laws and see what happens. I’m sure your attorney will appreciate the business.

2 Likes

My understanding is that “constitutional carry” only covers you in your state of residence. One of the distinct benefits of having a carry permit issued by your home state is the official reciprocity of other states to which you may travel. (Check the USCCA Reciprocity Map)

That being said, even with reciprocity you MUST obey the carry/use of deadly force laws of the state or locality you are in regardless of what the laws are in your state. For example, Kentucky issues a Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon license with authorizes the carry of firearms, of course, but also includes carrying knves, swords, brass knuckles, nun chuks, throwing stars, and a number of other weapons. Most other states don’t allow such things and my KY permit doesn’t change that. Other states also have differing criteria for when and how deadly force may be used (legally) which is why, when on the reciprocity map, it says “yes, with restrictions.”

Know the laws of the places you’ll be traveling!

6 Likes

It is my understanding that other States will definitely not honor your home State’s Constitutional Carry laws. But the majority of the States that have Constitutional Carry allow out of State residents to carry within their boarders under their CC laws. But not every CC State does allow out of state residents to carry and you have to follow all the laws of the State you are in. So careful review of the laws in any place you visit is required.

I live in a CC State (AZ) but personally feel a lot better having a license. It grants me a couple extra carry location benefits, shows LEOs that I have passed a thorough background check and grants me reciprocity with many CC and non CC States.

4 Likes

Most people still buy their firearms in places that require background checks. But barring illegal acts (theft, etc.), it should not matter how you acquired a firearm. If committing an illegal act with a firearm, it, again, doesn’t matter how one obtained said firearm. Unless you have committed a crime, the police should not be scrutinizing private citizens in that manner to begin with. I believe that is/should be a 4th Amendment violation.

5 Likes

I agree from a legal standpoint. Though strongly suspect from a human nature standpoint that an LEO would be significantly more comfortable interacting with me knowing I had undergone the background check for a license which is much more thorough than a background check for the firearm that I may or may not legally own. Seeing my license they have solid evidence that I am most likely a law abiding citizen that is most likely carrying a legally owned firearm for legal self defense purposes. Studies show that CC licence holders are less likely to commit crimes than LEOs.

3 Likes

Now that is funny on too many levels and sad at the same time.

Edit: have a link for that? I would like to read what it says. I would find it interesting.

1 Like

Even more so since those stats are only counting convictions and not the crimes LEOs get away with when other officers look the other way. Or the crimes they “legally” commit like civil asset forfeiture.

And to be clear I’m not anti LEO. They have a tough job and I respect the majority of them for what they have to put up with every day. But there are bad apples and sometimes they are paid to enforce bad/unconstitutional policies.

1 Like

That isn’t the case in my state, it still a NICS check and a State police check.

1 Like

It is that extra State police check that I was referring to as part of the more thorough background checks needed to get a license. They usually look a lot deeper than the NCIS check and find things the NCIS misses.

Unless you’re saying that there is also a State Police check for purchases as well in your State? I haven’t heard of that being a thing and it isn’t done here in AZ.

Yes, that is what I was stating.

1 Like

Good read, thanks

1 Like

Interesting. Is there a waiting period on purchases to allow for the check? I always thought waiting period laws were to force purchasers to cool down if they were buying a gun to commit a crime or commit suicide. Guess they would also allow time for additional checks but didn’t realize some states were actually doing that.

At any rate from a police officer pulling over someone and seeing they have a firearm perspective, I think they are still likely going to be more at ease if the driver hands them a carry license since there is no way of knowing if the gun was legally purchased unless the driver has the receipt.

I agree they shouldn’t be legally assuming anything but from a self preservation perspective they have to be wary of armed citizens until they can confirm they are not a threat.

And if the person is a “threat” and concealed where the officer doesn’t know? In Virginia, on a traffic stop, the plates are run, so the officer knows that the person has a CCW. The officer would not know that any other person is armed, so that would be treating us as “dangerous”, when we are the most peaceful and most law-abiding. Seems they would be attaching fear of harm to the wrong group.

2 Likes

Rhetorical question…
What’s to stop said suicide person that has to wait from going in the kitchen, take out the butcher knife and start slicing? If a person is truly wanting to kill himself s/he will find a way. A suicidal person normally gives indications of what they are about to do. Better to listen and report to polce before they get to the purchasing phase.

2 Likes

I wasn’t saying that the waiting periods were effective. Just saying what I thought the anti self defense crowds “logic” might be behind passing these laws.

Before I became more aware of my rights and freedoms, I fell for the waiting period line of steaming crap. I have since learned better and am amazed by the number of people that fall for that line. There are so many sheeple who blindly follow

3 Likes

I have seen several videos where LEOs noticed the concealed weapon. Many of them didn’t end well for the driver and or the officer. They also may ask if the driver has any weapons. But the running the plates and seeing you are licensed to carry, though carry licenses aren’t attached to drivers licenses in my state, should put the officer at ease that they are dealing with a law abiding citizen.

I don’t like the idea of attaching that info to license plates. But do personally like the idea of being able to show an officer some extra evidence that I am not one of the bad guys.

1 Like