Concealed carry permit in Virginia

I’m trying to find some information about getting a concealed carry permit in Virginia.

I’m looking to do a online course for the certificate if I can and I don’t want to get scammed!

So I’m hoping someone can lead me to a real online source.

And I need help with the steps I need to take after the certification if anybody can help.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I thought… that as of July 1st you can no longer do online courses. it is in-person training only. But I don’t know if that got changed due to COVID.

Here is the site you need to follow to get your CCW.

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

USCCA has additional information in plain english…
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/va-gun-laws/

5 Likes

I heard it was going to be stopped January 2021

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

3 Likes

I believe they are giving the classes in the shooting ranges. Do you reside in Hampton Roads the 7 cities.?

1 Like

The online training option will end as of January 1, 2021.

This is the current code section and below it, it has the section that will become effective January 1, 2021. Section B subpart 7 states “Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or online course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;”

Interestingly, they did away with requiring a government photo ID to vote because supposedly poor and minority people are disenfranchised by not being readily able to obtain ID, yet it is still a requirement for obtaining a CHP. Apparently those same people apparently are capable of obtaining ID to get a CHP, but cannot when it is time to vote. Another “common-sense” gun control law.

3 Likes

When you get your certificate you go to the city hall you live in the town you live in and I believe you apply there and pay $52.00. Things could’ve changed due to the pandemic.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out the best place to get my certificate

2 Likes

Tell me where you live and I can tell you.

3 Likes

Until January you’re supposed to still be able to do it online I was hoping to get it that way instead of going anywhere.

2 Likes

I live in Smith county near Marion Virginia

2 Likes

I don’t think you can do it online brother but hope you can.

2 Likes

Idk from the looks of the bill that is going on to law in January 2021
So that should mean you can still get it online
But idk
Are they anyway close never Marion VA in Smith county
I could get the certification

2 Likes

No sir I’m in the Hampton Roads

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60, actually, the maximum fee in Virginia is $50, but many localities charge less, as they are only allowed to charge up to $50 or the actual cost, which typically is less. Where I live, you mail the application and other documentation to the court clerk. One should go to their localities website to determine the process in their locality.

I just looked and mine is expiring next year. I have been cc longer than I realized, 9 years now - something that never would have happened in NYS where I am from.

Yes, in Virginia, the online training class is still an option until January 1, 2021.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Over here in Chesapeake when I first got it I went to Chesapeake city hall with my credentials and filled out the application and you are correct it is 50 dollars and get live scan fingerprinted in the Sheriffs office across the street.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes, that was a requirement when I got mine, too, but no longer, which is why the fees were reduced. The VCDL notified and fought a number of localities to reduce their fees, as the law only allows for actual cost, up to $50. Part of the fee covered the fingerprinting that was no longer being done. I feel like my background, including fingerprinting, probably like you and many others on this site, has been checked more in my lifetime than most criminals.

3 Likes

From @Dave17’s link above (which is an official VA gubment link), it does say

1. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or online course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

So you can get it online. But the new law will take effect January 1st, 2021. So get the CCW online while you can!

4 Likes