Conceal Carry for Fat Men

I’m a pretty big guy, weighing in at 265 pounds with a gut and I’m only 5’4". I wear suspenders because belts hurt me, leaving marks along my gut and causing gastral problems. Unfortunately Suspenders are not ideal for conceal carrying of my HKVP9 Pistol. This pistol is a fairly large gun and is heavy on my pants. I have an Alien Shoulder Holster, and I love it; however, it causes my arms to bulge out and make conceal carry obvious and uncomfortable. I’m not sure what to do at this point. Nothing seems to be ideal for me. Wearing a stomach strap over my gut just causes the same problems the belt causes, so it’s not going to work either. I don’t know what to do folks, any ideas?

5 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here!

My solution is to wear overalls and pocket carry. Suspenders may not take the weight as well though.

4 Likes

Might try a paddle holster. A belt is not necessarily needed if you get a snug enough fit.

This is also an option:

5 Likes

I’ve also used a belly band above the table muscle. Works great with a small handgun. Hides well under the weak side arm.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @CitizenPrayer and you are in the right place at the right time.

5 Likes

Yes sir, I have. But it’s a lifetime struggle for some people. Other people seem to be able to do what they please and don’t gain weight. It’s a good possibility genetics has a bigger effect on us than some people realize.

7 Likes

@CitizenPrayer Welcome to the community. Consider a compact pistol, let’s say a Sig P365 SAS with a pocket holster, and as suggested try coveralls, a little change of style if you haven’t tried it yet. May try the belly band holster also.

4 Likes

Others have already brought up my suggestions but I’ll concur. A somewhat smaller pistol for shoulder or hip carry would likely make a noticeable difference. The P365 and similar are noticeably smaller and lighter but still pretty capable.

For the ultimate comfort it is hard to beat pocket carrying a micro pistol like the Ruger LCP Max .380. It has a good capacity but is a step down to a marginal caliber compared to 9mm and above.

If you want to stick with the full size you could consider off body carry with a sling pack or fanny pack.

5 Likes

Now >> Miiiiikeeeeey ; be nice.

4 Likes

Very true but in my opinion a single stack nine isn’t substantially bigger for pocket carry, but I don’t wear shorts either.

Overalls are bought to fit your largest diameter even though they are still listed as waist and inseam. So they are kinda like wearing pants two sizes too big. When standing, a Glock 19 doesn’t print in my pocket even though it’s quite large for a pocket carry.

The other problem is overalls aren’t your Sunday best, which might not be optimum for the new member that started the thread. So my cheaper clothing style suggestion might only be a six day cure, where a smaller handgun would be a seven day fix.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @CitizenPrayer
Being husky myself I used to carry a VP9 IWB, used a steel core belt so it didn’t crush my spare tire. Using my stiffer belt meant I didn’t need to wear it tighter.
Depending on the season, like now, I switched to a G43x, same belt, much more comfortable.
Hth

3 Likes

I am also short and fat, 5’6" @ 230Lb. Like you, I also wear suspenders, but I also wear a gunbelt. Not a belt that screams gun, but a leather belt with a metal insert. To add, the metal insert also keeps the belt from twisting into a scimitar shape.

Normally I wear a 380 outside the belt. a Glock 42 or a Browning 1911-380. That said, this carry style also works well for my HK P30, I just don’t carry it much.

4 Likes

My stack and a half p365 is actually smaller than a single stack g43 in pretty much every way though probably not lighter when fully loaded. For me it is a bit bulky and heavy for pocket carry though I do it from time to time. I have a fairly average build especially after losing over 20 pounds last winter (I don’t recommend my weight loss plan!). But it might work for a bigger person with larger pockets and suspenders.

The LCP Max or it’s ever so slightly thinner and lighter brother the LCP 2 are noticeably smaller and lighter than all the the 9s I have seen. I worry sometimes that I will forget it’s in my pocket. But you have to be very careful with bullet selection for .380 to get adequate penetration for SD without the over penetration of FMJ. Plus accurate range and barrier penetration are noticeably reduced compared to a larger 9mm pistol. But I feel fairly well covered out to 10 yards firing quickly under stress and can make good hits out to 20 yards if given a second to more carefully aim.

3 Likes

FYI >>> Stop it. Your not fat ; you are = small - Medium - large - x large , or - 2x .
There is a store in my town that says “ MENS CLOTHS BIG AND TALL “ it doesn’t say clothes for fat people.
GIVE YOUR SELF A BRAKE ; I’m sure your God Loves you for what your are.
Truly
Blacky.

8 Likes

what Blacky said ^^^^

I am 6-10 and + - 300 not much of a gut but its there

and welcome to the forum

Mike

5 Likes
3 Likes

Mr. Mike ; do you respond to wood knocking :question:
Why are you wasting money on USCCA WHEN YOU COULD BE MAKING BIG $$$ at being a wing man.
(( no Offense please in tended ))
Truly
Little
Blacky .

Blacky

I am retired [no more ‘‘wing man’’]

LOL

Mike

4 Likes

Welcome aboard! Have you considered the Miami Classic

With a loose fitting Hawaiian shirt?

5 Likes