CHL as valid form of ID?

Can I use my Ohio concealed handgun license, CHL, as a valid form of identification? It is, is it not, a state issued form of ID?

I am asking because I have always thought it was an appropriate form of state-issued identification. However, a friend attempted to use hers at a bank recently and the woman, granted, a recent immigrant from Africa, would not accept it as a valid form of identification alongside my friends driver’s license.

I don’t understand why. After all, the possession of a concealed handgun license shows that someone has had FBI and or BCI background checks within the past 5 years.

4 Likes

Your guess is as good as mine my friend.

And welcome to our community. Many questions as well as answers here.

1 Like

My understanding is you may offer it but it may not meet some requirements of identification. My NH license does not have a picture on it. My MA license does not have my date of birth on it. For some applications my US passport is accepted where as someone’s Brazil or DR passports are not.

3 Likes

I think it just depends on the state. My understanding is that here in Illinois it’s a legitimate form of state ID since it’s issued by the state and contains the name, address and photo. That being said I’ve never actually tried to use it except to buy ammo and firearms.

3 Likes

I’m in Texas and it IS a legal form of ID here, ref.: Did You Know That Your Texas Concealed Handgun License is Now a Valid Proof of Identification? - USA Carry
In other states, No - check your own state(s); besides, REAL ID is coming MAY 7, 2025, to wit:
" The REAL ID Act is a law that sets higher security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards (IDs).
Starting May 7, 2025, you’ll need a REAL ID-compliant driver license with a gold star, a valid passport, or U.S. military ID to travel by air in the U.S. Learn more about REAL ID requirements and how to get one.
"Beginning May 7, 2025, if you have not upgraded your driver’s license or state-issued ID to be REAL ID-compliant, you will not be able to use it to:

• Board federally regulated commercial aircraft
  • Access federal government facilities or military installations
  • Enter nuclear power plants"
    MORE INFO IS AVAILABLE HERE: REAL ID | Homeland Security
    ALSO: Check to see if your license or state ID is already REAL ID-compliant

If your driver’s license or state ID has a star in the upper right-hand corner, it is already REAL-ID-compliant. There is nothing more you need to do.

How to get a REAL ID When you apply for or renew your driver’s license or state identification card, you can choose to make it REAL ID-compliant.

Find and visit your state’s driver’s licensing agency website to see what documentation you will need. Your new card will have the REAL ID star marking at the top right.
Hope this helps.

5 Likes

@Wen-2024 and @Lewis24 Welcome to the community!

I don’t know if I would try to use my CCDW as ID at a bank. You don’t know what nut job you’re talking to and only saying Trump will set off people. I can see a lunatic bank teller thinking you want to rob the place and set off the silent alarm.

With that said, KY does allow concealed carry in banks.

1 Like

I wouldn’t. A CHL, CPL or what other designation it carries has a sole purpose … to prove to a LEO acting in his official role that you are licensed to carry. It’s no one’s business that you carry. Why advertise and invite potential grief?

2 Likes

In order to apply for a CCW permit, I need to provide a photo ID (driver license), proof of citizenship (US passport), and two proofs of residence (utility bills, credit card statements).
However, my permit only has my right thumb print, no photo.

Even if it had my photo, I’m not inclined to use it as ID.
Not going to volunteer info that I’m carrying. YMMV.

3 Likes

I think the bank gets to decide what they do and do not accept.

I don’t use a carry permit as ID unless, and this is rare, two forms of photo ID are required and those are the only two I have on me. I think this has happened once

1 Like

Thank you all for your responses.

In Ohio, our CHL card has our photo on it. It is not the same photo as our driver’s license. It also has a current address (it must be updated if you move elsewhere in the state), and birthdate.

Ohio’s CHL card says on it that it is issued by the county, but it is an Ohio CHL, and it has conceal carry reciprocity with every state (with the exception of the no-go states, obviously).

I understand about the caution of using such an ID as a secondary ID; I never have.

1 Like