Ohio chl flag for leo on drivers license and/or vehicle registration

I have heard that Ohio has a flag for CHL if you get stopped and LEO runs your plate or license…not sure which or both. I am aware there is a duty to inform in Ohio but want to know if LEO knows in advance via running a check. If they can know by running a check of license plate by just following me…might be reason to find an excuse to pull me over and go fishin. just curious

2 Likes

Around here (South Carolina) they just run the plate and know that the owner has a CCP

4 Likes

IL has it in their DB as well.

4 Likes

Running the plates comes back with list of permits . However there is nothing to be worry about. In my opinion it’s better when LEO knows I carry - if he wants to know, he asks, otherwise I do not need to inform him (in IL).
Owning the permit CANNOT be a reason to be pulled over.

6 Likes

thanks for the replies…interesting to know about other states…waiting to hear from someone about Ohio

1 Like

Check this thread, you will find some interesting info:

4 Likes

Here in Wisconsin CCW license information is held close to the vest and in a separate database controlled by the WIsconsin Dept of Justice. License information is not readily available to LE. They must contact the WIDOJ if confirming the validity of someone’s license; verifying whether someone actually holds a license in the event said person doesn’t have possession of their license; or investigating whether someone falsified information on their permit application.

“Neither a law enforcement agency nor any of its employees may store or maintain information regarding an individual that was obtained from DOJ based on the individual‘s status as a licensee or holder of a certificate card. Wis. Stat. § 175.60(12g)(b).

In addition, neither a law enforcement agency nor any of its employees may sort or access information regarding vehicle stops, investigations, civil or criminal offenses, or other activities involving the agency based on the status as licensees or holders of certification cards of any individuals involved. Wis. Stat. § 175.60(12g)(b)2-3.”

Wisconsin goes a step further whereas license information is not considered public record.

3 Likes

Good Info…thank you

1 Like

@James347, I am from Ohio. If you are carrying the firearm with you while in your car, it is our duty to inform the LEO, wether they know in advance or not. If you do not have the firearm with you, you are under no obligastion to inform them of your CC permit.

Traffic Stops and Other Law Enforcement Encounters
If a person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun as a CCW licensee, whether in a motor vehicle or not, he shall promptly inform the law enforcement officer that he is carrying a concealed handgun. If in a vehicle, the licensee shall remain in the vehicle and keep his hands in plain sight at all times. Violating this section of law is a first-degree misdemeanor, and in addition to any other penalty handed down by a court, may result in the suspension of the person’s concealed handgun license for one year. A permit holder is not required to inform law enforcement of his status if he is not carrying a firearm.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response. In my post I state that I am aware of the duty to inform in Ohio. My question was not about that. The question posed by my post is whether the LEO knows in advance by running my plate before stopping me if I have a CHL.

2 Likes

I am CCW instructor in Ohio, I do know for a fact that LEO knows when your license plate is run that you have a CCW. Event ho theofficer knows you must tell him if and only if you are carrying. It is also common courtesy to tell him if that you have a CCW and that you are not carrying.

1 Like

Thank you so much…that is the info I was looking for. I was fairly sure but wanted verification. I have no problem with it or the duty to inform requirements. I am an Ohio resident and have a condo in Florida where I spend a lot of time in fall winter and spring. I have my Florida CCW which is valid here in Ohio even with my Ohio drivers license and me a permanent Ohio resident… (see Ohio CCW pamphlet put out by governor page 15 under Reciprocity) I also verified with local sheriff that I am good with just Florida permit.
…So far I have debated even getting my Ohio CHL due to this fact the LEO knows due to plate run. My only concern is that it might give a LEO a reason to look for a reason to pull me over for a fishing expedition. However many have suggested that is a false worry.
Thanks again for the information

1 Like

I would think then, that anyone who drives my car, needs to know that I have my permit in case they get pulled over and cop runs my plate…would not want them to be surprised if a cop asked them about it.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

If an officer knows you have a permit, he also knows by FBI statistics that you are much more likely to be a law abiding citizen, so there would be no reason to start a fishing expedition.

6 Likes

@James347, NC is also a duty to inform state, and the LEO will certainly know I have a CC permit by running my plate. So before they ever approach my vehicle they know. I think the vast majority of LEO’s won’t be “fishing” CCW cars, and even if they are it doesn’t change my reality. I’m going to follow their commands and if I have a beef, I won’t litigate it on the street with them.

As a CC permit holder, it’s changed my habits too. I don’t speed (as much), avoid bad areas, and try to avoid driving after midnight. In short, I’ve changed my habits to avoid stops as well.

2 Likes

I’m in OH–they can run your plate and know your CHL status. Not concerned about it. If they want to waste their time with a law abiding citizen, have at it.

4 Likes

thank you…good info

1 Like

I have always felt the LEO feels that if I took the effort to get a CCL, and that implies not a felon, that was a good thing. I also strongly feel it is respectful to LEO to disclose. If you respect and comply things go better in my experience.

The only reason to hide CCL from LEO is I suppose drinking which is EXTRA illegal when carrying. You have certain obligations when you carry that do not apply when you are unarmed.

1 Like

I suggest anyone wondering about this issue to go to a scanner site/app and scan your local LEO for a while. You have to learn the codes, but you will learn many things you don’t hear in any news. It may open your eyes to what your local LEO deals with 24/7/365.

1 Like