YOUR CCW RIGHTS: During a traffic stop and proper procedures

Hi everyone, I’m new to the community and not sure if this topic has been discussed? But if not I think it would be of great service to share resources on your rights and proper procedures while concealed carrying during a traffic stop. This is something that greatly concerns me and I would love your feedback. Thanks.

3 Likes

Welcome, Gary!
It may be state dependent, whereas, in Michigan, you must inform the officer you are CPL (CCW), but, Indiana, you do not have to tell them. There are pros and cons to whether or not you tell them. There are discussions here in the forums you can find. Sorry for the short answer; I’m sure another will chime in with more info.

5 Likes

Know your state laws, and the laws of any states you are passing through while carrying. Some states are Duty to Inform, others aren’t. Above all, do what the officer says. Outside of something like a speeding ticket, if you are legally carrying, you are not doing anything wrong. No need to agitate an officer. Even if you get a “Super Trooper”, you’d be better served to have your day in court, than to get charged with something major, like assaulting an officer.

4 Likes

I believe that here in NC, you roll down the window, keep your hands on the wheel and wait for the officer to walk up. When they ask for your license, give them that and your CCL and tell them if you have any firearms in the vehicle and where they are. What happens next is up to the gods.

4 Likes

If you download the USCCA app you will find a map and you and check out the state laws and where you permit is valid.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and glad you are here, be blessed.

1 Like

If you get stopped for a minor traffic violation I would not mention it. Take your ticket and carry on.

3 Likes

Unless you’re in a Duty to Inform state!

1 Like

Thanks for kicking this off, I’m out of ft. Campbell, KY. The post borders the Tennessee, Kentucky border so you can understand my confusion when I step out the house. Please post some resources if possible, Thank you STurglsSTeele.

1 Like

Great Info! Just knowing what the “Super Trooper” has the right to do, and what I have the right do or decline to do is important these days. Thanks 45IPAC

3 Likes

Gary, I’d start with the USCCA app. There is a map feature in there that is helpful for traveling and you can look up individual state laws, too. Quite handy to have, as it has a lot of useful info there.

4 Likes

Thanks Shannon12, I will do that know.

1 Like

Thanks Johnnyq60!

1 Like

Thanks for the resource Brad!

1 Like

Texas is a duty to inform state. I’ve personally not had a bad experience with the police, but I know that’s not always the case. When driving, I keep my licenses and insurance in the visor. That way my hands are always visible, and I’m prepared for the officer’s arrival at my window.

2 Likes

We don’t have to disclose here in Florida, but I’m thinking that if I’m ever stopped for a traffic violation, I will let the officer know I am carrying because my wallet is on the same side as my holster. Just to avoid any misunderstanding on what I’m about to do when I reach to get my license.

5 Likes

Well, here is a real life tale. I was on my way back from the Bloomington Illinois area. I was in my wife’s car, it was about 8 pm. I was about 80 miles from home, and called my wife and bragged “See you in an hour.” 2 minutes later, a county cop was on me. He had me dead to rights, for 80 in a 70, and I knew it. When he came to the window, I handed him my license, insurance, and Illinois CCL. He asked why I volunteered that info. I told him I would rather be upfront about the fact that I had a legally concealed firearm with me. He handed my CCL back and said “Thank you.” After a few minutes, and a brief “Sir, you know speed kills” warning, he let me go, with just the verbal warning. I thanked him, and told him to be careful out there. The county Mounties in that area are notorious for NOT giving warnings. So, maybe he was just being nice, maybe he let me off for being respectful, and up front with him. I’d like to think, it was the latter.

6 Likes

My plan if I get stopped (no matter what state I am in) is to have my drivers license and my CWFL in hand when the officer gets to my window. I will hand them both to the officer and place my hands on the steering wheel to await further questions or instructions.

6 Likes

Yes, that would be ideal. I’m just not sure they want you see your silhouette moving around as they are walking to the car.

1 Like