I get pulled over by the police

What do you do if you get pulled over by the police? Do you tell them that you have a firearm, or do you see how it plays out? What would you do?

2 Likes

When the officer gets to my truck, I have my lic and reg in hand, both hands on the wheel, and tell them immediately that I have my LTC, and I’m carrying my firearm and it’s loaded, they usually will ask where it is, you tell them, sometimes that’s as far as it goes, sometimes they will ask you to get out of the truck and they will have a look. But they have always thanked me for telling them and being cool, and we always start talking about training and kind of forget about why I got pulled over in the first place. Have respect, obey all the laws and safety regs.
HAVE COMMON SENSE. God bless.

10 Likes

The only time I got pulled over was when I was about 17 years old and I hadn’t even thought of concealed carry. I was learning to drive and got pulled over for an inoperable headlight. But I have always told myself that no matter the state laws that I’d inform the officer I was carrying.
But what do you do when you get to a state that doesn’t accept your permit but you’re just passing through? I mean is it better to keep it on you or do you take it out and put it somewhere? do you unload it when you get into the state(s) or do you keep it loaded? I know that Congress ruled that it doesn’t matter if your gun is illegal in that state that if you’re just passing through then legally you’re untouchable.

1 Like

In Ohio duty to notify dictates that when an officer approaches the window first thing you want to say is “officer I have a concealed carry license and I have my firearm on my (at the 5 o’clock position or whatever) how do you want to proceed?” Failure to notify “in a timely manner” can land you in jail if for no other reason.

1 Like

Yeah some places have a duty to notify but I figured you just tell the officer that you’re carrying and then from there do what the officer wants.

1 Like

I think the best advice I’ve ever heard regardless of your local laws, never let a firearm be a surprise to a cop. The world being what it is they could get nervous about a firearm that falls out or they find during a search, easier to just defuse the situation and let them know before it becomes an issue.

3 Likes

Right. And I’ve come to terms that I’d always let an LEO know that I’m carrying regardless of state laws. Just to put them at ease and not make me a suspicious person in the case that it was ever found in the vehicle.

3 Likes

I think it’s very important to have your lic and reg in hand and have your hands on the wheel while they approach, after the hello’s and what not, then tell them, having these things ready and your hands on the wheel, let’s them know that you know the important stuff and you don’t have to reach for anything, ask them what’s next? What would you like me to do now? Most cops are very greatful for your compliance and respect.

4 Likes

I’m sure they are. I just hope that I never get pulled over unless it’s for something like a downed headlight or tail light. That way I don’t have to worry about these things.

1 Like

The only time I got pulled over in New Jersey when I had my firearm on my was when I was coming home from working at an Armored Car Company. I was on my motorcycle and the only way that I could transport my gun was in a shoulder holster. A State Trooper hit his lights and siren and I pulled to the side. As he approached my bike he asked me for my license and registration. My hands on the handlebar, the first thing I did was to inform him of the firearm under my jacket. His hand went back on his gun and he asked me why I was carrying and to carefully unzip the jacket and just show him the placement of the gun, which I did very slowly. Once he knew I was an armed guard on my way home and I showed him all of my ID’s, he stayed with me until I calmed down. He knew that I was spooked and he told me that he only pulled me over because there had been a recent theft of motorcycle insurance stickers and he just had to verify mine. Phew! The message is first inform the officer of any firearms in the vehicle and then slowly present your IDs and follow any of his or her instructions.

2 Likes

Being a heating guy, I’m always driving, I do get pulled over sometimes, a lot on my mind, sometimes I do something that I shouldn’t have,:roll_eyes:. It happens, a lot of the police stations around here train at our club, and they are pretty good guys all around.

1 Like

That’s good at least.
My understanding is that cops are nice people and whatnot and that very rarely do you ever get a bad cop. But I’ve always made sure to show respect despite the circumstances. The first time I got pulled over I was so crazy nervous.

2 Likes

I’m going to disagree with you on having your license in your hand when the officer walks up to your window.

If you’re like most people, you’ll have to dig for your license - wallet in the back pocket or purse. That searching activity can put police on high alert. Sure, we’d assume that they’d think we’re looking for our license, but others the officer may pull over aren’t as law-abiding as we are and may be looking for something else.

And if a police officer is approaching in the dark and sees something in our hands, it’s another opportunity for misunderstanding.

Having teenage boys who both have a lead foot, we’ve had this conversation in my home numerous times. What do I do when I’m pulled over? Window down most of the way, hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 and wait for the officer. Be respectful.

My boys are very respectful and it has actually annoyed one police officer as he thought my son was being a wise-butt. He wasn’t. Don’t get me wrong, they’re both totally accomplished smarty-pants, but they know when to draw the line in most situations - and that includes dealing with police officers.

Here’s what one of the USCCA contributing writers had to say about being pulled over:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/be-careful-out-there/

Police officers today have to deal with a lot of uncertainty and hate on a daily basis - I want to make sure I don’t add to their uncertainty or stress.

1 Like

I’ll have my wallet in plain sight, and my hands on th wheel. That way when/if the officer asks for my license and proof of insurance, I can tell him/her exactly what I am doing, and they can plainly see where I am getting it from. I also keep my ccw license with my DL. I don’t want any misunderstanding that I am a law abiding citizen. I’ll let the officer decide how we proceed from there.

3 Likes

I keep my CCL with my DL as well. And if I’m wearing cargo pants it shouldn’t be too hard to get the wallet out of my cargo pocket and lay it on my lap.
But I understand what you’re saying @Dawn. You make a very good point about keeping your hands empty. It doesn’t take much for an LEO to assume, in the dark, that you’re armed and you could even get shot. I personally would rather not be shot. Especially for something as stupid and ridiculous as a misunderstanding.

3 Likes

Something else I know a lot of CCW holders seem to forget about, if you ever let a friend or family drive your car have you talked with them about whatever procedure should they get pulled over or in an accident. Here the police know the registered owner is a CCW holder when they run the plates. It adds tension to the situation when it’s not the owner in the car if they dont know to or how to inform the officer that they are not the owner and the weapon is not in the vehicle. The officer has to kinda approach it with the possibility in mind that the car maybe stolen and your firearm maybe inside.

1 Like

Something I’ve never thought about because my parents let me drive their vehicles and I always carry. So it’s kind of a null and void issue for me right now. But that’s definitely something I’d have to keep in mind if I ever do let a friend borrow a vehicle of mine for whatever reason.

I sit with my hands on the wheel with registration and insurance on the dash and ask the officer when approached if I may step out of my vehicle as my carry which I have a permit for is positioned near my wallet pocket.

It is extremely rare that I get stopped. More often I’m on the side of the road for whatever reason and the officer is simply checking up and seeing if i or someone else needs assistance. In which case, I inform the officer I have a carry permit. Never had an officer have an issue with my carry. The most any has wanted was the location of my carry on me. Usually the officers relax more after knowing I have a permit.

2 Likes

I have got pulled over 3 times in TEXAS. 1 time by state trooper. I told him and at move slowly to get my wallet. City cop ask same thing and took my gun and Rum it to see if it was stolen. Then the county sheriff’s Dept pull me over no. Trailer lights this was about 9 at night. Each time I told I had my ltc and never reach for them tell they ask.
No ticket on any of them just my 2 cent. I always tell with hand on wheel.

3 Likes

I can see your point Dawn, my wallet is easy to get to for me, and my registration is right on my visor, in my opinion only, by having these items ready for the officer, reduces the need to reach for anything, everything is right there for him/her without having to search for it. This has always worked for me, and they have always (every time) thanked me for being cool and thinking of their well being, then again, I live on a fairly small island, and we either all kinda know each other, or know of each other. Either way, I personally always have the officers best interest in mind, without being a kissass of course, they can usually sense that. I told a cop once that I’m a licensed carry and I have a loaded handgun on my right side IWB, he said to me, so what? I asked to see your lic and reg. I was floored and nothing else was said about my CC, gave me a warning and went on his way. Imagine that? I had a cop ask me to get out of the truck and turn around, he lifted my shirt, saw my CC and that was it. I’ve had them forget completely about why I got pulled over, and we had a half hour conversation about training, a lot of these guys only get 2-3 days on the range a year, this concerns me a lot, we talk about that sometimes, and usually try to get them to the range for some training. They sometimes take me up on it and we train together, it’s incredible how little confidence some of them have. Sometimes we offer our outdoor range to a whole department for a day so they can train. Respect, and common sense, did I already say respect? Goes a long way for these guys, they are doing a very difficult job, and some folks are so disrespectful and harmful. They need a break like anyone else.
God bless.

5 Likes