What to do when getting pulled over by the police

What are some of the things you do to make an LEO feel safe when pulling you over?

4 Likes

When I get pulled over by the police I get as far as I can to the right of that shoulder to keep him safe from bypassing speeding vehicles. I also shut my car off turn on my interior lights and put my hands on the steering wheel. Most officers when they see that feel more comfortable and know that they are dealing with a good person. If you are in a must inform that you are carrying location the officer will feel a lot more comfortable when you inform him that you are carrying. Sometimes when you react as I mentioned the officer may let you go with a warning.

10 Likes

I do the same as far as pulling over (as far as I can to the right and turn my car off.

I treat them with respect (yes sir/ma’am no sir/ma’am)…keep my hands visible and I don’t give the officer a hard time…e.g. “Yeah, I probably was going a little fast back there, I was running late to a meeting, sorry about that sir…”

If it is something I disagree with, I don’t challenge there I wait till my time in front of the judge.

I haven’t been pulled over yet while carrying concealed…(because I’m usually a better driver when I’m carrying, don’t speed, control my road rage, etc) but if it does happen, I’ll most likely advise the officer that I’m a concealed carrier and that I"m carrying that day.

8 Likes

Offer him a cold beer😁

Seriously, I pull over so he has room to approach my vehicle. I will have my DL, insurance, and my CCW license in my hand. The more the officer can see my hands, and that I am not a threat, the better for us both.

10 Likes

Now this may work brother I agree 100 percent. The cold beer :beer: will do the trick.:joy::joy::+1::+1:

5 Likes

Shut my car off, keys on the dash. Both hands on the steering wheel.

7 Likes

Something I am trying to get in the habit of, is placing my wallet in one of the dash trays or cup holder when I first get in the vehicle. Someone had mentioned they do this so that if asked to retrieve it they are not required to dig in their pants or other non-visable area. It seems like a very simple thing to prevent confusion or misconception. Of course 30+ years of habit is hard to break.

8 Likes

That’s not a bad idea but if you tell LEO your wallet is in your pocket he will observe you as your reaching to get it.

5 Likes

Yeah verbalizing your actions would be a good idea too. I would just worry that he may catch a glimpse of something innocent (flashlight, seatbelt clip, the metal end of a pocket knife) and for a split second misinterpret what he seeing and react (or overreact). Would depend on daytime vs. nighttime.

4 Likes

Pull over as quickly as safety allows and park as far to the right as possible. Then I do as much as I can while keeping my head upright and visible - engine off, hazards on, interior lights on (if at night), window open as much as weather permits, both hands on steering wheel. I do not try to reach for my license or registration until I can tell the officer what I’m doing. Most importantly, which has worked in my favor more than a few times, be respectful.

7 Likes

My ex-son-in-law is a detective. He explained that when law enforcement pulls you over, for whatever reason, their road, their rules!
NO Question. Respect, yes sir, no sir, even if you’re completely in the right, there is nothing you can say. Follow orders, comply and don’t bulls### your way out!

13 Likes

100 percent in agreement @Scott52.

4 Likes

An excellent article from USCCA Blog, I even printed it off and passed it out. :+1:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/5-things-to-do-when-the-police-pull-you-over/

7 Likes

Excellent reading brother @BRUCE26 and all people should be respectful to LEOs. People shouldn’t let one bad apple or maybe several judge a whole world of good officers.

7 Likes

Not their road…not their rules. Police play by their own rules and therein lies part of the problem. The police want you to see them as individuals, however, most police see everybody else as the enemy. Im former LEO…so don’t call me a cop hater.

3 Likes

Respect begets respect.

5 Likes

I agree there’s some bad apples out there brother @Danny28 I come from there myself and worked with some. I hope thing’s can change in the long run and decent cops join the ranks

3 Likes

I imagine today in a cops eyes, everyone is the enemy!
Gosh, when I go to the grocery store, everyone is the enemy.
If I want to go home, respect is the order of the moment.

4 Likes

Respect is earned…not demanded.

5 Likes

Hear! Hear! You’ve earned my respect, for both your service to country and community.

3 Likes