YOUR CCW RIGHTS: During a traffic stop and proper procedures

In Texas you have to present your LTC with your drivers license and proof of insurance. If you fail to present your LTC you could lose it.
During my last traffic stop I did all of the above. The officer asked if I had any firearms in the car. I confirmed that I “had several” and then I asked him “what would you like me to do”? His response… “Don’t show me yours and I won’t show you mine”. Got a verbal warning for speeding and off I went.

7 Likes

Highly dependent on the State. As has been mentioned in NC you HAVE TO inform the officer that you are a CCL holder and that you are carrying and then wait for instructions from him. You are NOT required by law to take your gun out but if the officer asks for it to need to let him take it off you. I have a bit of a lead foot and get stopped here and there. I usually get a thank you for carrying and a please slow down a bit from the officer. BTW the data bases are tied so if you don’t tell him he’ll know the second he runs your plate or DL and then you have som explaining to do.

3 Likes

Hi @GaryJ, welcome to the community!

Since I became a ccw permit holder, I’ve had only one contact with LE and it’s not even a traffic stop but I actually waited for an officer to show up because of a vehicular accident.

My California permit requires me that, during an official contact with LE, i need to disclose that I’m a ccw permit holder, regardless whether I’m carrying or not.

Respect begets respect. Do not to give LE any reason to make the contact to escalate. Keep your hands on the wheel. No sudden movements. Make sure both of you go home safely.

3 Likes

Exactly what I did :point_up_2:t4:

1 Like

Above all else, is respect! The officer is in control the moment he/she stops you. I can’t say it enough, respect, yes sir, no sir, good morning officer, place your hands where they can be seen and for goodness sake, just follow orders and comply. Unless of course you’re on a suicide mission!
It’s weird, I’ve never been killed during a traffic stop in my life.

5 Likes

That’s a good idea.

1 Like

Great example, thanks for sharing with us.

1 Like

LOL… nice!

1 Like

There was an incident where Castile was shot because of a misunderstanding. Castile wasn’t reaching for his gun, but his wallet. But the officer mistook the action and shot Castile. So, it’s important to keep your hands where the officer can see them and follow the directions carefully.

3 Likes

Thanks Ferdinand1, was it difficult to obtain CCL in Cali?

1 Like

You don’t want to be part of an accident!

The officer doesn’t know what you are thinking unless you say something. Police officers are probably a little more on edge recently, considering all the hostility towards them. Ask what he wants you to do, and when you do what he says, vocalize what you are doing and make clear concise movements… “Taking off my seatbelt, sir. Reaching to open the door, officer.” No confusion there.

5 Likes

@GaryJ, it depends on which county you live in. Your County Sheriff website is a good place to start.

2 Likes

Every state has different laws about the duty to inform. There are a number of discussions throughout the Community about it.

Always know the laws of the state you’re in and the states you travel through. You can see the most up-to-date information here:

www.uscca.com/laws

Here is how it’s explained on the WISCONSIN page:
Shared with CloudApp

Check the laws frequently as they do change. It’s a quick skim of the bottom of the state pages to know what’s new.
This is what it looks like right now for the state of Wisconsin.
Shared with CloudApp

4 Likes

Love it…

1 Like

In Kansas your CCW license and drivers license have the SAME NUMBER. When they run you drivers license they will automatically know you have a CCW.

I have not been stopped since getting my CCW 1-3-2007 (first day of issue). But I never drive more than 5 over.

Now my wife has a license but never carries.

1 Like

It almost the same out here in Ft. Campbell, my DL is out of GA but my CCW is Tennessee with a # associated with my DL#. I’m still warming up my wife to get her CCW, she say’s, “I got pepper spray”.

1 Like

I have had conversations with different officers in Washington State. This state is a do not have to tell them but, depending on the circumstances, like an accident, that you are carrying. The notification should be as a casual conversation. If he asks questions answer them and follow his instructions. Handing him your licences, drivers and concealed pistol permit will also be a casual way to inform them too.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @GaryJ. As others have said, there may or may not be a duty to inform the investigating officer so you will need to learn the law of the state where you are driving. As a general rule, be polite, be cooperative and relax. When I have been stopped, I told officers I was armed (without saying GUN). Keep hands visible on the wheel, open windows, turn on interior light if its dark out, don’t make sudden movements and follow instructions.

The last 2 times I was stopped, I was in an unmarked police car outside Kentucky (OH and IN) years ago!

3 Likes

Hi Gary,

First, I believe Shannon already pointed out that USCCA has a lot of info on the reciprocity between states so check that out.

Second, others already mentioned that what “to do” during a traffic stop is dependent on your state or issuing agency. Example, In Arizona you are not legally required to tell an officer you’re carrying. However, in California, my county sheriff requires we notify an officer. THerefore, you’ll want to look up what your issuing agency says so no one steers you wrong.

lastly, if you do choose to notify an officer or are required, please consider it from the perspective of the officer’s point of view. They walk up and you tell him you have a gun and start reaching for your insurance may turn everyone’s day bad. Instead, might I suggest this:

If you are being pulled over, grab your permit/license and Driver’s license and hold them in your hands. roll down your front 2 windows, turn on your interior light (if it’s nighttime), and place your hands on your steering wheel while holding your 2 licenses still. Wait till the officer comes up to either window and then simply hand them both licenses and place your hands back on the steering wheel and await further instruction. From there, officers will instruct you on what they’d like you to do in order to feel safe while they conduct their job. Some will not worry and will simply conduct themselves as normal. Some will ask you to keep your hands where they can see them and you’ll want to ask permission to grab your insurance card or whatever and make them aware before you grab anything. Some officers might ask you to step out of the car and may disarm you and that’s ok also. The goal is for everyone to do their job and make it home safely.

What NOT to do:

1. Say gun to the officer because gun is a four letter word and the last thing they want to hear.
  2. be combative or rude. Imagine the rolls were reversed…it’s stressful walking up to a stranger and learning they have the means to kill you.
  3. move quickly or make sudden movements.
  4. start moving without being told to and that includes stepping out of the vehicle.

Be smart and respectful so everyone goes home is my motto.

5 Likes

I’m from Indiana. I’ve asked this question to cops. Here is what I’ve been told. They said legally you don’t have to say anything, but there may be a few reasons to tell them. 1: if the gun is in a spot that could be seen. They told me that if we are talking about the stop and he reaches to get the driver’s license from you and catches a glimpse of the gun, it could startled the officer.2: if for some reason he wants you to get out of the vehicle. The longer you wait to tell the cop about the gun will only make him more nervous when he does find out. If he says " can you please step out of the car" and out of nowhere you say " well I have to put my hand next to this gun I got here to do so" without telling him immediately. He could get nervous.3: just straight up respect. Most cop will appreciate it. And the list goes on. Yes the cops told me by telling them about the gun it could slow down the stop And you might be there longer. But it’s better than getting shot by accident.

2 Likes