Concealed permit question

I’m well aware of duty to inform laws during traffic stops (Wisconsin/Minnesota). What if you are approached by police while out in public? Do those same standards still apply while carrying at the park, or while I’m fishing? Lots of info out there about traffic stops but I can’t find much on other police contacts.

5 Likes

@Anthony107 Welcome to the team and community! We are glad to have you. While I’m not an attorney, it is to my understanding DTI in WI only applies when an officer asks, traffic stop or otherwise.

5 Likes

Of course each State has different requirements, however “Duty to inform” means that individuals are required to disclose the presence of a firearm upon making contact with law enforcement.

Traffic stop is only one of the forms of making contact with LEO.

4 Likes

I’ve just found it in IL 430 ILCS 66/10.
[…]If an officer of a law enforcement agency initiates an investigative stop, including but not limited to a traffic stop, of a licensee or a non-resident carrying a concealed firearm under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act, upon the request of the officer the licensee or non-resident shall disclose to the officer that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm under this Act, or present the license upon the request of the officer if he or she is a licensee or present upon the request of the officer evidence under paragraph (2) of subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act that he or she is a non-resident qualified to carry under that subsection.[…]

You will probably find something similar in your States’ Law.

9 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood brother. I believe both states has no duty to inform so I would say if they don’t ask don’t tell.

5 Likes

I did some more research last night. Both minnesota and wisconsin statutes read almost the same. It’s the same for all contact with officers acting in an official capacity as it is for traffic stops. In Minnesota and Wisconsin it is only when asked.

7 Likes

Welcome to the family @Anthony107 and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

This is such a crazy requirement. It adds more opportunity for an officer to overreact if it makes them nervous. I live in a duty to inform state.

5 Likes

My understanding of my state’s laws about duty to inform is if it is an “official interaction”… If a cop comes into my job as a customer, I don’t inform them. If I am being questioned or call them, or if they were called on me, I would inform them.

So far, the standard response is “don’t show me yours, and I won’t show you mine”. :grinning:

9 Likes

As @Fred_G stated, any “official interaction.”

3 Likes

You’ll have to consider the question as it’s posed! When ever you’re stopped, in particular, a traffic stop, the question is, “is there anything in your vehicle or on your person I should be concerned about?” Trick question or not, you decide!
I have never been asked if I’m carrying a weapon during a traffic stop! The trick on the street vs a car is how to answer. In a car you can present your carry license with other paperwork when asked for and follow orders, while seated and hands on the steering wheel.
I can’t imagine what it would be like standing face to face with an officer with open carry vs your concealed carry, when you say yes! Is that 24 year old cop, who never heard of the constitution, draw down on you? Is raising your hands going to be considered a furtive movement? Nothing against law enforcement, they are the enemies of the state in the eyes of too many radicals!
I stand by my philosophy of courtesy and respect! Yes sir, no sir, have a nice day, we all go home with no holes in our bodies!
Or, and this is a big “disclaimer, or, you could just run, get shot and become a hero, cop goes to jail, all is right in the world, isn’t this how it works now? Then we riot, loot, shoot more cops, defund an institution and sway juries by violence!
If you were unknowingly trespassing, you could be in deep swamp, if the answer to that question is, no, while carrying! Maybe you just “jaywalked”, maybe you littered. Unfortunately we are headed for a Gestapo state, immunization papers please, they have ways of making you talk!
However you approach this, I still prefer, yes sir, no sir! Ticket me for trespassing or whatever reason I was stopped, on the street!

5 Likes

Personally I just tell them if stopped, hands on the wheel & keep them there. Always ask how they wish to proceed. Mostly have a vehicle firearm & my carry. Wisconsin no duty to inform unless asked, lie & shtf.my guess is it pays to tell them up front.

2 Likes

Key phrase, investigative stop, not just any contact. Just a casual contact on the street, restaurant, grocery store or gas station would not require you to tell a cop, “FYI, I’m armed.”

An investigative stop would usually be initiated by asking for ID. That’s one way you’d know the diff.

8 Likes

Different rules Different state.

5 Likes

This is more or less where I was going with this question. Thanks for the reply. I have been asked during several traffic stops, “are there any weapons in the vehicle?” Those stops were a few years back before I had my cc. I have also had more than a few officers approach me with the " you fit the description" or " I’ve never seen you around here before". Also not since I have carried daily. Just trying to figure out if approached at a time where the legality of the stop itself is questionable, what then? I’m a firm believer in the constitution and the rights we have as Americans. I will not I.D. myself unless they have reasonable articulable suspicion that I have or I am about to commit a crime. Does that change when you cc? My thought is if I wouldn’t I.D. myself I wouldn’t disclose that I’m carrying either

4 Likes

They need reasonable articulable suspicion in order to I.D. I don’t I.D. without a good reason. What then?

2 Likes

Some state/County you are required to let LEO’S know if you are CC while others require only when asked.

3 Likes

Last I knew in Mn you don’t have to let the police know you are carrying, it is your choice

3 Likes

In MN there is no duty to inform unless asked.

3 Likes

I see this as a common sense issue. As has been stated before, when an officer approaches you in the line of duty such as a traffic stops, crime scene investigation or otherwise; he/she is already on guard because in this day and age there are more guns than ever in the hands of criminals and lawful carriers. I suspect it is a rare day indeed when a criminal willingly admits to carrying. However, a lawful carrier can deescalate (stabilize) the encounter dramatically by simply stating that they are a licensed carrier and providing the LTC along with their ID. Officers are human, they deal with the known much better than the unknown; and knowing that you are licensed and have disclosed that you are in possession of your firearm is absolutely more comforting than finding out another way. This is not about “rights” or even obligation. This is about incident contact, situation awareness, and conflict management. Give the Blue anything you can to keep the circumstances of your encounter at a low level of guard for both parties.

7 Likes