Concealed permit question

Welcome to the family brother @Glenn34 and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

Many people wish and want the Constitutional Carry, the Permitted Carry/License, or plan to see nothing at all carry,
or to carry and fake it or lying. I love the permit/license carry and I feel that the State of Florida has the best gun laws, that is my opinions.

What are the loop holes of all these areas ? What are the laws in each area and the consequences’ for breaking any law ? Any study or guidelines to any ?

This is not a beer stand on the corner selling beer to everyone without a license and permit, state or county. Break the laws of any state and you probably go to jail, get fined, and go broke for life. The States are listed with USCCA and which state will except anyone’s License / Permit. The gun laws are available on the web or book form.

Do not wish anyone to go to jail, Please.

3 Likes

The Duty to Information requirements are spelled out by state in the USCCA Reciprocity Map for those wondering what their state says:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/?link=Learn_TopGrid1_Graphic_ReciprocityMapGunLaws

And remember, even if you don’t have to inform, it’s a good practice to let them know before they see it/find it. For example, if you’re carrying your wallet in your back right pocket and carry at 3 0’clock, let them know about it before you reach for your wallet.

A police officer friend of mine suggests saying something like, “I’ve got my concealed carry permit and am carrying at 3 o’clock today. My wallet is in my back right pocket, how would you like me to proceed?” BEFORE you go for your ID in your wallet.

That way there are no surprised for anyone if your shirt rides up and your firearm is exposed.

9 Likes

ID’ing yourself differs from state to state. In California, per the vehicle code, if stopped, you must furnish proper identification when asked (“can I please see your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance please”) . It is a violation of itself to refuse to furnish ID. No reasonable suspicion needed…the police pulled you over for some perceived violation. They also do not have to tell you the violation until they receive those documents. Some LE will tell you up front the reason for the stop when first approached, a lot will inform you after receipt of the aforementioned documents. Some folks will argue the officer was wrong, and refuse to furnish ID. Bad idea. I personally know people refusing to ID get taken to jail and finger printed and waiting waiting for the return to verify who they are. Thats part of seeing if you are being truthful.

4 Likes

I have not researched your legislation as others have. However, if you are not in a duty to inform state, then do not offer the information. You could open yourself up to a “Terry frisk”. also, I believe the SCOTUS has also ruled in favor of the 5th amendment as well during stop and frisk moments. The best advice I can give you, is if you carry, it is your responsibility to know your state laws and those you frequent that reciprocate as well. Hope that helps a bit.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @Scott331 and @MtnDewey-BSBCJA and y’all are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

Good find !! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good question.
If you are approached by an Officer under any senario there is a specific reason for it. The main thing he or she is going to focused on obviously is their safety and yours.
Having noted this, if you are legally armed and you are reasonably sure you haven’t done anything wrong there is a very good chance that Officer will appreciate the fact you’re giving them a heads up you that are armed. They will let you know ahead of time why you are being approached. By telling them you are armed and showing documents as proof, it will put everyone at ease.

4 Likes

In my state if asked by LE you must tell them, likewise if you are asked for ID it is contact and you are supposed to give them your CCW and ID together to indicate you are carrying.

5 Likes

@Don45 , I am not sure what state you are in because you did not say but here in Tennessee and a lot of other states, it’s no duty to inform unless asked. I myself have the habit of giving both drivers license and ECHP if stopped, even when I go back home to Chicago. Every LEO that stopped me even Il state troopers, just give my ECHP back to me and thank me for being a 2A person.

3 Likes

17 year MN Permit to Carry instructor here.
The law is actually quite simple. If you are asked by a police officer if you have a permit (or any other form of identification) then you are required by law to answer and also to produce it if requested.
In Minnesota, failure to do so is grounds to an officer of the law to take you into custody without charging you with a crime and you may be held for up to 48 hours without being charged with a thing. The officer is not required to furnish you with an explanation of why you are being taken into custody. He is required to do that for his superiors and ultimately a judge if it goes that far, but if they kick you loose within that 48 hour period it’s no-harm, no-foul.
Don’t ever get cute with the police in the street, if you want to argue with a cop do it in the courtroom with your attorney at your side.
In the last 18 years I’ve been asked dozens of times for my permit, and every single time I obey all commands, move slowly, and there is never an issue. I’ve taught a specific procedure for interacting with a police officer during a traffic stop for more than 15 years to literally hundreds of people of all colors and backgrounds. Several dozen have tried arguing with me in class saying that my way will spook the cop and could lead to an issue. I teach to have all paperwork ready by the time the officer reaches your vehicle (in between the index and middle fingers of your left hand with your palms resting at 10:00 and 2:00 on the steering wheel with the rest of your fingers spread) and the window all the way down with the dome light on and the keys on the dash. People think it will “spook” the cop if they see you rummaging around your vehicle, which is silly because the moment he sees you have your information ready for him he’ll know exactly what you were doing.
Move your elbow slowly so your left hand rests on your car door and the officer can easily remove your documents from between your fingers. State the words “Officer, my name is (your name here). I have a permit to carry and I’m currently carrying on my (place you’re carrying here). What would you like me to do?”
This places all the information and power right back with the officer, and makes them a lot more comfortable. Notice nowhere do I mention the word “gun”. That’s because “gun” is a word used by police departments around the country to indicate a dangerous situation officer have found themselves in.
i.e. Two officers approach a man on the street suspected of assaulting his wife earlier that day, the one on the left sees a firearm tucked into the man’s waistband and shouts “Gun Gun Gun!” to warn his partner and will draw down on the suspect and order him to drop the weapon on the ground.

3 Likes

Are you saying that the law states that if an officer asks for your ID then you are required to inform them? Wouldn’t that mean that minnesota is a duty to inform state?

2 Likes

I am in Nebraska which is a duty to inform state…

2 Likes

Yes. Was I unclear about that?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the law states if the officer inquires about weapons or being armed then you are required to inform them and provide your permit. Thats quite a bit different than providing it anytime you are asked for I.D.

2 Likes

Minnesota is not a duty to inform state as you say @Anthony107 , only if asked.

2 Likes

I thought so. It’s a bit alarming that a 17 year instructor isn’t aware of the laws in the state he teaches

3 Likes

From the Utah BCI Web Site:

Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.

Me, I hand them my permit with my DL and tell them where and what.

2 Likes

I think you might be misreading what he said.

He said if you are asked. In my state, which is a must inform state, you have to tell the leo you are armed in any ‘official’ interaction. If they ask if you have a CCL, I would think that would warrant an accurate response.

The officer might have seen your gun, and might be asking if you are legal or not…

I would notify even if in a state that does not require it. But if asked, I would think you would have to answer honestly.

If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

4 Likes