Chicago Laws on Firearms and Knives? Discussion on Cook Counties silly laws

I was reading through a Chicago ordinance from July 2nd of 2010 trying to see if it would be okay to move there again. I recently acquired a few things like knives and firearms. I got a glock 42 with lots of trimmings for concealed carry and a microtech double edge knife which could be classified as a switch blade. After reading through I found that the limit “laser sights” which unfortunately is part of the only light I could find with a holster for the 42. Also, it looks like cook county had a section that banned the possession of a switch blade despite a new law for Illinois making it legal to own in Illinois. I was curious if this specific laws would still apply in cook county or if it was updated since the new law in Illinois. The light is more of a frustration and PSA than a question.
This is what I am reading for context:

Also if this is old and doesn’t apply anymore let me know as I am not a lawyer and I am very confused by what cook county deems appropriate. Lots of these things seem silly to me.
4 Likes

Thank you also for that fine article; I saved it to read. I’m local. From what I personally read, humbly speaking, I read that for legal reasons, in Chicago:

The blade can only be two inches in length at maximum, the sharp end can only exist on one side, not both sides of the blade, and it cannot be a switch type blade nor spring assisted. I think I went through about five blades before I found one that is not spring assisted but opens very quickly with practice.

Among other restrictions, firearms cannot have a laser. So I opted to purchase a non-laser-ed one.

I sometimes carry mace type of gel spray (the kind which emits almost in a straight thin line, not a cloud), flash lights which offer strobe, and a laser light pen (not to use with a firearm, but just in case needed to deter an assailant). I studied Karate as a child, but need to get back into shape.

Stay safe, and healthy neighbor.

2 Likes

The pdf in this thread states those under 18 year old cannot be in possession of a knife with a blade over 2" long, those over 18 cannot be in possession of a knife with a blade over 2 1/2" long. None of my knives would meet that description, as the shortest is, if I recall correctly, about 3 1/4". My two EDC knives are not spring-assist, but flippers, and open quickly and easily with one hand. So you were a “karate kid”, not the “Karate Kid”? :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks Dave17; Especially for that clarification, on the 2.5". I think that can make a big difference, because some knives which are of 2 & 1/2 inches, might offer more features, thus offering more choice and options for safety and staying within the “local legal” parameters.

LOL, I never realized that yes I was “a” karate kid, literally, but of course not “the” karate kid. One of my biggest regrets was that I did not continue those classes beyond only a few years, to reach and maintain black belt.

2 Likes

Upon arriving home from dinner, I picked up my mail and found my official mail in Illinois voting ballot. I had ordered it online, available in my location. I rarely vote, but I completed the ballot and will mail it out tomorrow. I found the options and instructions to be user-friendly. Two polling questions which especially caught my attention were “If those with higher incomes should be taxed higher”, but also interesting to me was the question below on my ballot:

“Should the State of Illinois restrict the sale or possession of firearms that have been defined as assault weapons or of magazines that can hold more than a certain number of rounds of ammunition?”

In my other beliefs to try to mitigate mass shootings, I struggled with that question, despite my owning a few guns already. A beloved civilian relative of mine happened to be involved in a fire fight with a few armed perps who attacked him. He shared that for him, it made a difference that he had more rounds in his magazine, and believes that was why the shooters subsequently fled the scene.

I never thought I’d say this again, but from a humble person who was reluctant to vote; “Your voice can be heard my brothers and sisters, which-ever way you vote”.

Link to Chicago Board of Elections for mail order ballots option:

1 Like

Now, put that scenario on your foot. If you were limited in rounds, would those same criminals have fled?

1 Like