What are the knife carry laws in your state?

We’ve talked about carrying a knife in a couple of threads already - do you know what the knife carrying laws are in your state?

I honestly have no idea what they are in Wyoming. I do know that autos are legal but as far as length restrictions on what you can carry, I couldn’t tell you. I carry a nice Benchmade with assisted opening. 3" to 3 1/2" I suppose. Wyoming generally has pretty common sense laws so I guess I’m really not to worried about it.

1 Like

We don’t really have any in WI.

We can pretty much do whatever here in the great state of Tennessee.

I live in Florida so knives and other weapons are allowed to be carried along with a handgun (CWP holders). I always carry a knife with a seatbelt cutter because of my profession.

1 Like

Pretty much the same as MA gun laws. Costello would’ve had an easier time trying to figure out “Who’s on First?” You can own almost anything in MA, but can only carry certain types of knives. The knife you carry can be totally legal, but if you get arrested with it on you, you could be arrested for carrying a dangerous weapon, even if the knife didn’t come into play.

Screenshot_20190323-133346_Gallery

2 Likes

State laws are straightforward

LA city and county are tricky

Concealed carry
-fixed blade = illegal
-folder = Good to go
-switchblade = Good to go if less than 2”

Open carry
-switchblade = illegal
-fixed blade = Good to go if less than 3"
-folder = Good to go if less than 3"

In Kansas you can own any knife you want but throwing stars and ballistic knife is still illegal.

Illinois=
No butterfly knives, or hidden blades(cane with a knife in the handle etc), throwing stars, or ballistic knives
You can carry=Bowie knives, survival knives, folding pocket knives, throwing knives, and with a FOID card a switchblade.

1 Like

You guys continue to impress me with your knowledge and responsible attitudes!!

1 Like

With the Kentucky CCDW, there really are no restrictions under the law. One of my EDC knives is a Schrade Viper OTF. Only one time has a police officer asked about it at which point I handed him my CCDW. The law in Kentucky for CCDW covers basically any kind of deadly weapon. I have scoured the book on this one and don’t see an issue. However, I do travel across state lines to see my brother in North Carolina and have to leave it at home when I do.

1 Like

Missouri:

• Switchblades that violate the federal switchblade act are illegal
  • Maximum legal blade length for a concealed knife is 4" or less
  • Open carry of any knife is not restricted (except see switchblade above)
  • Laws are the same for minors as adults

Concealment: Missouri law prohibits the concealed carry of any knife, except for “an ordinary pocketknife” with a blade not more than four (4) inches in length. The Missouri statutes provide as follows:

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife , a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

The statutory definition of “knife” is: any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, ‘knife’ does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;
Note: the term “ordinary pocketknife” is ambiguous and subject to varying interpretations by law enforcement.

2 Likes

James, are you sure? I know we use to have a length limit on what you could have in your pocket. Ill have to see if I can find anything.

Here is what I found and I was wrong on the blade length restriction (Unless they changed it years ago)

3 Likes

Indiana only bans ballistic knives and throwing “stars”. Otherwise, you could probably carry a light saber and your good!

1 Like

Funny story, my buddy worked on for Walker for a bit. My buddy and I were talking about stupid knife laws because we wanted switchblades. I guess Walker was looking for stupid laws to get rid of on the books, and my buddy brought up our conversation and they threw it in with a bill and it was passed. Lol.

3 Likes

I’m going to bump this one, as I feel it’s important. I’d like to hear how you all would approach this scenario. Keep in mind this is LA county where on my last post on this I stated LA is tricky.

So 3 weeks ago my son was arrested for a concealed dirk or dagger and charged with a felony. He’s an electrician, got off work and still had his tools on his belt he was in the parking lot sitting in his car to change into a clean shirt. I can’t believe the response that showed up either in tactical gear no less. This was a complete violation of rights, waste of resources and tax dollars.

As I was saying he was going to a meeting and went into his back seat to change his shirt when the sheriffs pulled up on him and asked to search him. I’ve told my kids don’t ever consent to search without a warrant or if there is no PC or crime committed. Be polite and respectful but don’t be intimidated to any threats of what will result for failure to comply. Truth is if they have PC or witness a crime there is no discretion they will arrest in my opinion. Now again by all means do not be resisting, do cooperate but do not give information or give up your rights.

My wife used to not agree with me as she is a nurse, she used to work in the local hospital and bring them treats snacks and cold drinks when they came to the hospital when she was working. She would shake her head no and say she will tell my kids and myself she will do whatever they ask of her.

Now my son thought nothing of it as he was doing nothing wrong yet because now his shirt was untucked as he was in the middle of changing when he got out of the car, this 2 inch fixed blade on his belt was covered so they charged it as a felony concealed dirk/dagger. When asked why he needs that for work, he said to strip wire conduit, trim drywall, etc. We’ll now my wife agrees with me and is very disappointed in the sheriffs office. I respect the law, but quite frankly I’m disgusted with these bunch of tackleberry minded deputies we’ve been dealing with from this local station.

Needless to say, my wife wanted to go get an attorney I said hold on we’ll get this thrown out and we did. This is a wobbler meaning it can go either felony or misdemeanor. When we got into court today for the preliminary hearing/arraignment we found it was knocked down to a misdemeanor.

The sheriffs knew they were in for a ride, they thought it was a belt buckle knife and would not allow us to talk with him, or give us any information. Finally I was able to get them to provide the PC violation being charged and immediately started working on peeling away the onion. After 12 hours and persistence payed off as they delayed his release as they knew they got caught in the frenzy and over shot the landing, they kept stating he had to clear the system to make sure there were no outstanding warrants. Finally I was done and it got real, I called them out and he was released.

Fast forward to today. We were able to speak with a public defender who agreed with our defense, we then had a meeting with the DA and she agreed it was a violation of his rights first off, an illegal search and seizure, and the tool was not concealed upon his normal work related carry, and if the LEO wouldn’t have violated my son he would have been changed and on his way to his meeting.

When brought before the Judge the DA immediately apologized for this even being brought before the court and explained why the people were moving for dismissal. The Judge was visibly upset and irritated this had occurred after listening to the details of the officers actions. He apologized to my son and stated that although Justice is slow it was found in his favor today and he sincerely apologized. They took into consideration not only the circumstances but he being a journeyman electrician, single parent of a 2 year old and 3 year old with full custody and monitored visitation for their mom for a few hours at a time.

I’m not a lawyer or an expert. But simply knowing a bit of the law and keeping a firm professional and respectful demeanor along with being patient and persistent will win the day.

That’s the moral to the story, that you can be abiding by the law and can still find yourself guilty until proven innocent. Are you prepared and can you handle taking that walk to prove your innocence.

Here’s the photos that made the news. I like how they failed to use a ruler as a reference to the size of the blade.
AE7084E5-476E-4F07-9F9C-5C4448B9BE62 ED9EB776-BC4A-4668-B8D1-621C83F7A538 029C1AE2-6E10-4229-8B60-ADCEDD9D3A06

2 Likes

In Mississippi we don’t have any specific laws, however under our 97-37-1 concealed law, it is illegal to carry a switchblade, dirk knife, bowie or butcher knife concealed. Recently concealed was defined as hidden from common observation. So, as long as the afore mentioned knives are not concealed you can carry them.
Universal Citation: MS Code § 97-37-1 (2017)

• (1) Except as otherwise provided in Section 45-9-101, any person who carries, concealed on or about one’s person, any bowie knife, dirk knife, butcher knife, switchblade knife, metallic knuckles, blackjack, slingshot, pistol, revolver, or any rifle with a barrel of less than sixteen (16) inches in length, or any shotgun with a barrel of less than eighteen (18) inches in length, machine gun or any fully automatic firearm or deadly weapon, or any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not it is accompanied by a firearm, or uses or attempts to use against another person any imitation firearm, shall, upon conviction, be punished as follows:
2 Likes

Hey @Jacob2! Welcome to the community!

1 Like

Welcome Jacob, appreciate the input. In my experience the take away from yesterday it’s about circumstance and definition. A screwdriver, letter opener, or even scissors can be considered a dirk.

1 Like