Chest holster

ok i am 5’8" 320 pounds its hard for me to conceal but ive noticed the chest carry rigs like alien gear whats your opinion on using this under a shirt for conceal carry btw i only wear button shirts and sometimes have a suit coat on

5 Likes

@ChaplainRobert If you click on the magnifying glass on the top right and type in Shoulder Holster you will find 5 or 6 posts. Here are 2 of mine. :+1:

4 Likes

I’m a few inches taller, around 5’10" and 312 lbs. or so. I’m currently using a fitted leather OWB at the 10:00 position (in front of left hipbone) with a very large button up shirt untucked to cover the holster. So far, this has worked well, although care must be taken to clear the shirt before re-holstering. I also wear a tucked in tee shirt to keep the stippling on the grips from abrading my side. I’m also using a good, thick gunbelt to support the gun.
I’ve not tried a chest rig, although that has been suggested a few times. Once I struck on the combination above, I’ve not looked at other solutions, as this is comfortable unless I try leaning over to the side the gun is on.
One thing that is important, is that your holster fits the gun well. It really needs to cover the trigger completely, and ideally be form-fitted to your exact weapon. On this subject, something I’ve noticed in a lot of the videos I’ve watched on this is that people tend to end up with a box full of holsters that didn’t quite do the task. As a good holster can easily run over $100.00 US, that can get expensive quickly. Don’t cheap out though, flimsy nylon holsters can, from what I’ve seen, cause real issues. Case in point: I have a $20.00 or so nylon holster, but I’ve never once carried in it, and count it as a $20.00 lesson in what not to buy. Just running the empty gun in and out it was easy to see getting the upper portion of the holster, intended to keep the gun off your skin, caught in the trigger guard as the holster was used. No thanks, I have quite enough holes in my body, don’t need a new one.
Hope you find this helpful.

3 Likes

thank you but im not referring to shoulder holster

3 Likes

You’re talking about something like this? https://cdn.aliengearholsters.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/c/l/cloak-chest-holster-for-revolvers.jpg

3 Likes

exactly

2 Likes

I see. I should have looked them up first. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

It’s hard to say without actually trying one on, but it seems to me that it would be challenging to conceal while still allowing easy access. A jacket, such as you mentioned would appear to be about the only way to handle both needs. Of course, that image is a revolver, and an autoloader would be a bit less bulky, but could you get to it under a shirt?

2 Likes

dont get me wrong i like a shoulder holster and i have one but with my girth im unable to reach and draw it from under my arm lol

3 Likes

yea i carry a sd9ve

3 Likes

I think he is talking about something like an Alaska Holster (Great Alaskan Chest Holster) Galco or something similar and I think your Air Force 1911 holster rig is a chest type, or has the chest straps.

2 Likes

Galco Great Alaskan Chest rig, or Aliengear are good options, but for actual concealing, I would think you would need a much smaller firearm, perhaps a .380 or a compact 9 mm. Carry on the chest is going to add some obvious ‘lumps’ even if you have a covering garment, and then access is still a question.

4 Likes

Chest Rig is a perfect option for open carry… I cannot imagine how it can be used as concealed with quick access. Perhaps with snap button shirt or coat?

2 Likes

Saw a couple of button jackets that were altered with velcro seemed to work out well.

2 Likes

I have never worn a chest rig so can’t comment on it but try it out it may work for you. If I did a lot of hunting or outdoors type stuff I would definitely consider a chest rig.

3 Likes

Nice holsters @BRUCE26 :+1::+1:

1 Like

@Kevin29 The U.S. issue holster I found at a Flea Market and paid $25.00 for it. I checked the maker HUNTER CORP. and Stock # 7791527 most others I have seen were listed as Airman or Air Crew and were billed as Vietnam era issue. Mine was used but not much and was missing a snap but I found one at a hardware store.
When I got it, it was dried out and flat from storage but 2 heavy coats of Ballistol and some TLC rubbing and it’s as good as new. I do like it for carrying my 1911, even with the light rail it fits and draws well.
Any other information would be appreciated. :+1:

1 Like

I think that is about all I would be able to provide. Generally aircrew were issued these, if they had a 1911, some had .38 revolvers .

I think they were also issued to tankers, and yes, they were issued during Vietnam, I think from WWII on actually… and I think they are still issued, for both the 1911 and the M9 / 92F.

The only concern I have with them is the strap crosses the grip safety and does not sit between the hammer and firing pin, but I have actually carried using one, once or twice long ago, and it was not a bad holster. Not for concealed carry though.

I might still have some old FMs or TMs, that might cover that but it is packed away and I really have no clue where it would be.

By the way, there are sometimes flea market gems…

2 Likes

Thanks. :+1: :us:

1 Like

While I was not much help, you are welcome.

2 Likes