Chest Rig/Holster

Has anyone here considered or has ever worn a chest rig/holster? Why or why not? Comments and Discussion.

4 Likes

I would say not so much for concealing but would be practical in an open carry situation.

3 Likes

This is my chest rig, usually only wear it in the woods or in the winter under a heavy coat.
Mine is black from the 70s. I wear mine centered under the the left breast. :slightly_smiling_face:
They do have their place.

4 Likes

@BRUCE26
I definitely like the way that chest rig looks, nicely made. I agree when hunting or in the woods would be applicable, and yes they do have their place.

1 Like

For me it’s nostalgic and goes with and for my 1911, but practical and wears well. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I like the one in the YouTube video I posted. I see a lot of gun store employees wearing that holster from Alien Gear.

3 Likes

I wore a chest rig (Blackhawk Kydex Serpa something on another) in Trashcanistan and Iraq when I spent a lot of time in vehicles wearing armor. Obviously not your normal everyday wear but it may get to that point. I also wore a drop leg rig for EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity) so I would exit the vehicle and as soon as boots on the ground I would go from chest to thigh. Wearing an empty thigh rig in a seat (Left or Right) never caused an issue wearing a gun often did especially if you needed it.

I see the utility of wearing a chest rig when hiking or roaming the woods especially if you have a full size or something that has 13+ rounds in it. Swinging that shootin’ iron on one leg if you are not used to it will let you know about it the next day. A behind the hip rig will always suck with a back pack. Appendix will also give you issues if there is bend, reach or sit. Even for urban wanderings in colder weather it is a viable option. Not sure how it’d go over in tee shirt weather but then again we all have choices. He!! in the right environment a belly purse can get you there.

Cheers,

Craig6

10 Likes

Probably the only time I would consider needing a chest rig is when wearing a pack with a hip belt in brown bear country where I would want to carry a full size firearm.

When wearing a pack in most of the places I hike and camp I use one of @Craig6 ’s belly purses (fanny pack turned to the front) or pocket carry. I did recently pick up a belly band that I’m thinking of using in these situations but haven’t tested it out much yet.

5 Likes

When I am in the woods I go in deep into the woods and I wear a chest holster with my 357 mag. It is a good size for cougars and bears. or sasquatch! I hope!

4 Likes

Maybe when we implement constitutional carry nationwide, I would consider it. I do prefer the element of surprise with concealed.

Don’t do much hiking anymore and I don’t think the neighbors would appreciate my fashion design!
However with more thought, I think it would be great while driving, versus in waistband. Now you got me thinking! With blacked out tinted windows is that considered concealed in my car?
Considering today’s new carjacking enthusiasts, yes, I would wear a chest holster!
Have a fully outfitted BlackHawk Omega vest just in case the Russians invade. Or any other invasions!

4 Likes

Considered for hiking. Ended up not because I still wanted it concealed. Zero interest other than a hiking/backcountry/woods gun where the pack’s structure interferes with belt carry

I ended up going with a Safepacker. Concealed-enough in that people don’t see the gun directly even though many/most who get a close up look probably know. Then flip the cover out of the way when really out there so you have one less step to access

2 Likes

I haven’t personally used it but if you are a hunter especially, I have heard good things about the Eberlestock Bino Harness. It has a concealed carry pocket on the back side of it.

4 Likes

Really like that idea @Brandon_USCCA though I would want to add a pocket holster or trigger guard to have more trigger protection. Pretty stealthy if you are doing an activity that justifies having binoculars.

3 Likes

Not what I would call a chest holster, but I have changed over to the Miami Vice rig because of back problems. I have always carried on the hip with a paddle holster. The shoulder rig seems to help with the back.

3 Likes

I used a Tanker style chest rig in the Army for many years before we switched to chest racks and body armor all the time. I still use one when I am bush hogging fields on my tractor.
Advantages:
Comfort
Easily accessible
Works well when seated
Disadvantages:
Slower draw
No so good for concealed carry

3 Likes

Have used a shoulder holster for 40 years. Comfortable and assessable when driving. Very concealed under a sport coat. No experience with a “chest rig”, but don’t need or want it. BTW my rig is custom made for me and my Browning HP. Don’t even know I have it on. Use a Sneaky Pete for my HK 45C when I don’t have a coat on. Excellent combo.

3 Likes

I do have a Chest Rig. I got it from an outfit in Alaska. It’s made of heavy Cordura, holds an extra Mag, and is super comfortable. It was built to hold my XDM in .45 ACP with a Crimson Trace Laser Guard. [trigger guard laser]. With a full Mag in the XDM, one in the Pipe, and the extra Mag, this Chest Rig affords me 27 rounds. It sits center of the chest, slightly below the pecs.
Why? First off I never go in the Woods without a Firearm. I’ll always have a Sidearm and a Rifle, Lever Gun, with me. I happen to do a lot of Prospecting and that puts me in the heart of Bear and Cat Country. Sometimes this means a Base Camp built to stay at for a week or so. I am also usually in shorts and t-shirt because it’s hot, I’ll be standing in water, digging, climbing, and basically working my butt off. Wearing a Side Arm is not practical. The Chest Rig goes on right when I get to where we’re camping and never comes off till I leave. Working, cooking, sitting around the fire, even sleeping. And of course the Lever Gun is never more than a few feet away.
Getting attacked by a Bear and having to go into a Fetal Position puts this Firearm right where I need it most. As well when one is working in the Woods and your bent over, back turned, and concentration elsewhere, in the event of a surprise attack this is the quickest draw; for me. Many of you know this but it’s surprising how Loud a running Creek or River is when one is anywhere near it. It’s just nice to have a giant Firearm on me and have that giant Firearm out of the way of work yet right where I need it.
Apologies up front for the lengthy read… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Eric88 Just curious what round you carry for dangerous game? :us:

1 Like

Well Bruce26 I mentioned that already… In regards to a Hand Gun.
As far as the Rifle it’s Chambered in .45-70.
What do you carry for dangerous game?

1 Like

I didn’t ask what caliber but what type of round for the .45. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like