Cheap guns that work? Charter Arms

We’ve talked about the cheapest gun you own.What's the cheapest gun you own?

Kevin talks about a Charter Arms Undercover revolver he purchased for $50:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/into-the-fray-episode-289-the-charter-would-not-break/

Has your “cheap” gun every broken? What about your “expensive” gun?

1 Like

I’ve been always afraid of cheap guns. That’s a tool you have to trust your life with…
However I’m not willing to spend thousands, so my first choice - Walther PPQ - below $500, next RIA 1911 - $700, and last one CZ P-01 OMEGA - $500.
Difference? Just what you should expect - polymer, great 1911 and aluminium.
However they shoot the same. Short, long distances - 95% perfect hits.
My conclusion - use whatever you afford but don’t go very cheap. (Or go with used for less price)

2 Likes

I’ve only ever bought two guns on installments, one has been on my right hip for about 30 years when I am playing civilian and now full time, the other is my go to precision stick that I bought from an internet friend while I was deployed to the rock box my last time. In the grand scheme of things I don’t own that many “carry” pistols. I’ve broken some stupidly expensive firearms and have run guns that you wouldn’t bother to own that just kept going. That said, if you know a little bit about how to test a pistol you can make an educated decision as to if the gun is falling apart or if it is just “rough looking”.

That said I am looking for a Bi-Tone 1st Gen XD (4") in .45 ACP, I’d really like to find one with a thumb safety.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Cheap gun would be my Raven .25 auto. Did it break, well only sort of. It seems to not like to be dirty and loves to be well lubricated.

2 Likes

Ruger P95PR

1 Like

I know Taurus has had a reputation for inconsistent quality control, but over the last 4 years I have fallen in love with Taurus Revolvers. I have purchased 5 and still own 4 of them. The cheapest one, the 605, which I purchased for about $275, has become my favorite handgun. For an old revolver guy, it offers the perfect weight and balance, and all 4 of my Taurus’ have better double action triggers that my previous Rugers and Smiths. Probably not for everybody, but perfect for me.

2 Likes

I would agree with you on that sentiment - for every single gun out there. It might not be perfect for one but it might be perfect for another! :slight_smile: Great point @Samuel!

2 Likes

I bought my mother a Charter arms 38 after my stepdad died. She can shoot. She used it for 11 years & now my sister carries it. I shot it a few months ago & it’s in great shape

1 Like

My Ruger, S&W, and SA pistols are all under $500 and two of them are my reliable CCW.
My RIA 1911 was originally $550 so at this time, that’s my most expensive handgun after I sold my CZ75B.
Best bang for the buck is my motto.

I have a Taurus 85 +P poly and it is a great 38 special 5shot. $350 on average depending on your location. Very reliable, light weight and easy to carry.

I have an old Charter Arms 38 that is not made for +p
I like the old J-frames & have always had a few around. Bought a Taurus lightweight 38. Solid no frills pistol