Central Alabama check in

Anyone around Central Alabama? Say between Birmingham and Montgomery - ish?

5 Likes

I believe there is one other person from AL here… But I won’t give out names. I’m sure they’ll come up at some point, @Skeebo!

And our very own Beth Alcazar is from AL! I haven’t seen her on here yet… Let’s see if I can get that remedied… :smiley:

3 Likes

Don’t currently live there, but from Bham :grin:

3 Likes

Yep - I am about 25 minutes south of B’ham!

3 Likes

You work for USCCA and live in Alabama! You’ve got the best of both worlds! I’m likely an hour or so south of you, but get the joy of spending 3 to 4 hours a day on I65 commuting to Birmingham for my job…which is not as cool as working for USCCA.

4 Likes

@Skeebo - I do have the best of both worlds! But I also feel your pain w/ I65… what a MESS that has been and still is! Yuck.

3 Likes

Hello, I just moved to AL. I’m in the Montgomery area.

2 Likes

Welcome @Lisa4! Glad to have you here!

2 Likes

Hey Lisa!

Welcome to Alabama! I’m in the Montgomery area as well.

If you shoot IDPA, there is a match this weekend at the Central Alabama Gun club.

Here’s the link to the website.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information!

1 Like

I’m currently in the Prattville area. I’m sorry I didn’t see this thread until just now :laughing:

2 Likes

@Skeebo I was looking at the central Al gun club and it looks like a great place to shoot at. Can you go whenever they’re open and train if you have a membership? And how would one get a membership and how much does it cost? :thinking:

1 Like

I live in Birmingham area as well. Hoover Tactical has a good indoor range with a fantastic array of rentals if you ever want to try out something new.

@luke_ouellette

There is a World class range in Alabama as well. Talladega Civilian Marksmanship Park. It’s about 10 minutes from the Talladega Speedway. Not necessarily an every week drive but well worth the occasional visit. Great Range, great RSO, and a gorgeous clubhouse.

1 Like

Hi Luke. Good to hear from you.

Central Alabama Gun Club does require a membership, which requires sponsorship by a current member. Most new members get sponsored by going to various shooting events like IDPA or USPSA to get to know the members. IDPA is the third Saturday of the month and CAGC puts on a decent shoot.

I’m happy to answer any other questions.

1 Like

I’ll keep that in mind Zavier. Thanks. :grin:

1 Like

That makes sense. I emailed them actually and they sent me documents and told me to come to the next meeting. They don’t seem very expensive though. $80/6 months. But then again I haven’t looked into gun clubs before.
I definitely want to try their IDPA stuff as I’ve never done that before. Is it easy to get into?

1 Like

I shoot IDPA, if you own a pistol, eye protection and hearing protection. That’s about all you need, I do have a specific competition pistol, that I only use for competition. But that’s my choice not a requirement. I am by no means remotely competitive, bodies to banged up, but it’s fun to do. Plus, where I shot the few matches at the RSO would move with you.

1 Like

It is not too difficult. Good holster and mag holster. If you shoot a typical mid to full size you’ll need three mags, one in and two on the waist. Also, 200 rounds. First shoot is free. Then $10 or $15 after that. Several Prattville folks are members and shoot IDPA pretty regular. It’s a great way to train and an great adrenaline rush! Maybe we can meet at mellow mushroom one of these days to meet.

1 Like

I’d love to meet you at Mellow Mushroom to meet and talk. :grin: @Skeebo

1 Like