CCW Help: Moving from Utah to Texas

Hello all! Quick question. I will be moving to Texas (Austin area) from Utah. I currently hold a Utah CCW permit. I know Utah has reciprocity with Texas. Would there be any benefit to get a non-res Texas permit before I move, or wait until residency is established? Also would appreciate any tips you might have for the permit process in Texas. Thanks!

3 Likes

You should be able to apply for your Texas permit as soon as you move to Texas, @Jim14:

You can find that - and more detailed information on how to get your Texas permit here:

Let me know if you have any other questions! :slight_smile: Safe moving!

3 Likes

Hey @Jim14 ,
Welcome (soon) to TX. We are just west of Austin a bit in Johnson City. When you get here look me up for some chat, target practice and such.

I look forward to reading your posts!

2 Likes

Awesome, and thanks. We will probably end up around Buda, as my son is in Manchaca.

2 Likes

@Jim14 Welcome to the great state of Texas. I think you are going to enjoy it here…

2 Likes

Thanks! We are looking forward to getting out of the snow!

2 Likes

Very good! Thanks Dawn!

2 Likes

The Texas process is pretty straight forward. The first part you can do on line. Once that is done and paid for they start telling what you need next. You will have to go be finger printed and take a class. About three weeks after the class you will have a license. You might as well wait till you get you Texas drivers license because they use the information off of that to do the back ground check and print your LTC card… First one is good for 4 years and then every one after that is good for five. The whole process took me about 6 weeks. One word that might help on the drivers license part is if your wife, if you have one, changed her name when you got married she will need her birth certificate and a marriage license. She will have to prove she is who she was born as for a real ID.

1 Like

Great. That is what I was looking for. Thank You!

1 Like