CC Courtesy

What they don’t know won’t hurt them.

2 Likes

If they don’t already know, they should. I will carry anyway. If they are not comfortable, then they will get a safety lesson and the reasons for carry. If they still don’t care for it, I’d rather go to a hotel. At least then I don’t turn my safety over to the hope of someone not coming to that particular house on that night, because then what do I do to protect , at that point, all of us. At that point, they come to realize, “Wish he was here with that gun!” TOO late.

4 Likes

I just don’t go to places where my other other half is not welcome…meaning my gun…my wife of course is the 1st “other” half of me

4 Likes

Even though I carry I would like to know if family or friends coming by are carrying due to the fact it may be kids in the house that may not be taught to be careful around your personal protection item. If children are visiting I will always have my weapons in my safe. If I am visiting someone I will always let them know that I’m caring , just simple courtesy but down here in the country we don’t have too many issues with that

5 Likes

The only person that knows I am always carrying is my current boyfriend. He was against it at first because his ex used a firearm to force him to do things, and although he knew I am involved in tournament shooting, I always made sure he could not see the firearm. After I was attacked last year I told him I am going to get a ccw permit, and a carry weapon. Now that I have, and he knows I will protect him at any cost, he has taken a firearm safety course, and has also just taken the ccw class as well, which I think is awesome, and he actually wants to get involved in tournament shooting with me. He informed me of that part this morning. He now agrees with me that it’s not the gun that’s evil, it’s the person who has it.

5 Likes

Very true! I’m so glad he’s been open minded about it, @Brian110, especially given his bad experiences. It takes a strong person to look past the hurt and grow from it.

4 Likes

This is awesome, I just took him to the gun store I bought my Ruger LCP .380 from and he just purchased the same model except he got the purple frame since purple is his favorite colour. Probably a good thing too so we can tell them apart.

3 Likes

@Larry6 I know that was probably a typo. But you are “caring” enough to save others. I like that. :+1: I am going to use that… “Yes. I am caring”.

7 Likes

Me personally I never ever take a weapon into my family or friends house, I expect the same out of them. I threw two of my friends out of my house (different times) for that. One of them I literally threw him out of the house for bringing a loaded gun in without telling me. Keep the peace for everybody always ask it’s that simple. If you ask before you go over there then there’s no problem you get to keep your family or friends rather than an enemy.

2 Likes

On cc at someone s home. I carry all the time if away from home. You as new on the streets of cc. That is the first thing you need to learn. CC you don’t let anyone know. Hey let it be a surprise the day you have to protect them from harm. Back in 1986 i came up with a prayer. I love to share. LORD every day i carry let there be no need but speed and Accuracy if there is. I’m around alot of people all day long and in there homes. Property management. Don’t brag and never show it.

4 Likes

Thanks so much. Thats what happens when rushing. Thanks again.

3 Likes

My point is, why make it an issue? Concealed carry is just that, Concealed. Who told? Certainly the gun didn’t. It’s a very personal choice. It is as personal as hygiene or a woman’s private time! Nothing to advertise or even strike up a conversation over. Now, on the other hand, if you have been informed not to carry at all while on someone’s premises, then I think their wishes are to be regarded and respected. Or, if there is law, ordinance or signage, the same is to be regarded, respected, and adhered to. Barring the aforementioned, what’s the topic again?! Lol

3 Likes

Me too!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 Like

It’s called “concealed” for a reason. Hiding it then advertising it completely defeats the purpose.

6 Likes

Thanks to everyone for all the fantastic responses, support, and feedback. This reinforces my decision in joining the USCCA community. I truly appreciate it.

When I first started carrying not too long ago I was hyper aware of it, wasn’t sure if the etiquette, etc.

After reading these comments I keep replaying a scene in my head when visiting someone, walking into their house and saying, “hey, I have a gun” and imagining all the various reactions that may cause (good and bad)… probably not optimal. :thinking: :woozy_face:. I would never do that

On the other hand I imaging printing, or otherwise indicating that I carry and the potential reactions if the homeowner does not want guns in their house for whatever reason. :astonished:

For me, I have decided it best to let the home owners know out of respect for their household IF I will be staying for a period of time longer than a quick in and out visit. I’m trying to put myself in their shoes and how I’d feel if roles were reversed. As time passes my view may change.

Thanks again for all the great feedback and insight.

You’re all a great caliber of people (pun intended)
:+1:

8 Likes

Before doing so, do you mind if I ask you a question? I hope I’m not too late with it but, “isn’t the whole intent behind concealment is to preclude advertising?” “If that be true then what is it when you draw attention to the fact that you’re carrying?” Now this next question is kinda out there but please allow it to marinate. “If you were on a special assignment, required to be armed but undetected and then embedded with people you knew and have come to respect, would you be able to maintain mission integrity and need-to-know, or would you allow your passion for being forthright to over-ride the need for absolute discretion?”
Just something to consider.

Now, I will argue that it’s not deception by keeping silence. If detected, I would be just as surprised that they didn’t know as I would about them finding out! It demonstrates your temperament, skill, comfort level and psychological wholeness, responsibility and maturity; your normal as it pertains to the situation at hand. Why create other issues where, right now, none exists? Why risk creating unease unnecessarily? Why not exhibit confidence in their ability as mature adults and homeowners to come to you and ask their questions and state their positions on the matter, if it’s a matter at all?!
Again, just food for thought. JMHO.

5 Likes

Well in Louisiana it’s required by law to indicate you are armed. But I do get what your saying though, sir.

1 Like

It is based on the need to know as far as I’m concerned. Perfect example is my mother does not like firearms and probably isn’t comfortable around them, but she does not know I am armed when we go to visit, like for holidays, we do not spend the night there since we only live 30 miles away. When I was attacked last February it was a half a block from her house, so especially in that area I will be armed, I will NEVER be a victim again EVER. The only person I feel obligated to tell is my boyfriend, and of course police if I have contact with them like a traffic stop. Otherwise no one knows at all.

8 Likes

I get it. If it’s law then we most certainly want to be in compliance with the law, for sure. Best wishes.

2 Likes

Good deal, makes good sense, and is my point exactly. Only to the extent absolutely necessary.

2 Likes