New to CCW

Hello,
We purchased our pistols and joined USCCA right after. We took our CCW class in WI and passed. We continue our range training and education in laws. How long did it take other newbies to feel comfortable carrying? I am near Kenosha(30miles west) so I feel “ forced” into carrying. However today was my first venture out in public carrying. I have been carrying in the house to get comfortable wearing my sidearm. I plan on never being anywhere near the messes but…

11 Likes

The first few times you’ll feel like everyone knows your carrying and is looking at you for it. They don’t and they aren’t. In time this feeling will pass and you’ll be totally at ease. Training is always the right answer! Welcome to the family. Born to Protect!!

23 Likes

Thanks Enzo. Took probably too long for me to join the protectors.

5 Likes

It depends on the person, but I would guess a few weeks if you carry every day. The good news is that it very quickly becomes second nature. In fact, you will feel strange when you have to go without it. Good luck. God bless, and have fun with it all.

8 Likes

I have just started to carry as well, and definitely had those everyone knows and everyone is looking feelings

8 Likes

Welcome to the fold. Keep carrying and be confident that no one but another CCW holder is paying attention like you are. Everyone else is too busy living in their ignorant bliss. Stay safe and keep contributing. Let us know how your journey progresses.

7 Likes

You will get used to it. I agree with it takes time every one is different. It will become second nature to you and you will forget its even there

6 Likes

The weight, the clothes, the adjustments, the extra holsters that didn’t work out, etc., will all become comfy with a few months of daily carry.

For me, I found I was, and still am, MUCH more comfortable with my weapon if I practiced with it regularly. Handling it, holstering it, loading, unloading, cleaning, drawing, shooting it, etc. Not like playing with it, but thoughtfully knowing it, and how it works. The more I’m comfy with it, the more I’m confident with carrying and using it if ever necessary. There was also a mental game attached; know the laws, well.

It’s a process… Like learning to play guitar or a new language, gotta practice, and it takes time.

Best wishes.

14 Likes

Welcome to the family… im about 50 miles straight west of kenosha… like others say. Try different carrying positions and carry whats comfortable. For me its inside the waist at about the 4-5 o’clock position. I can conceal perfectly and sit very comfortably. I forget I have it… also pocket carry also… but nobody pays attention to anybody so noone will even notice or care that u are carrying. Just act naturally and people watch… its really fun watching how many people could run into a wall and think it just got put up… be confident and carry on…

12 Likes

Thank you sir. I was a bouncer back in the day so situational awareness comes easy. It is amazing that people don’t even notice what or who is right next to them sometimes.

7 Likes

Yes, I need to do more dry fire. I have a holster I can sleep in it is so comfortable. Thanks for the reply!!

6 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are in the right place at the right time.

6 Likes

This right here! This is why you need not feel uncomfortable carrying concealed. Most people aren’t even aware your there, let alone paying enough attention to pick out a slight bulge, or geometric shape under a shirt.
Don’t fidget with the gun. Don’t feel like you need to constantly adjust it. Just keep calm, and carry on. Welcome to the life.

7 Likes

Never too late! I just trained the nicest lady and she’s ready to “start packin’” (her words). 82 years young! God bless her! :us:

8 Likes

If you have a comfortable holster and belt already, you are ahead of the game! I went through a lot of them before finding what works for me. As @Glock27ccw said, lots of dry practice is a great thing, unless you can find ammo and a range you can draw on.

5 Likes

My day to day belt is doing the trick so far. But any suggestions would be welcome. How do you handle dress up situations where you have to tuck in? Sport coat with a shoulder?

4 Likes

I don’t do formal anymore for work, but evening casual etc works with a sport coat… (Do they still call them that???:thinking:) Someone else can answer that better.

My biggest helper was an infinitely adjustable belt. Minor tightening or loosening, as opposed to 1" increments, made a huge difference in comfort throughout the day.

7 Likes

Dress up for me is a pair of slacks and boots. Can’t help with that.

5 Likes

That’s an issue in still trying to come to terms with. I’ve never been an untucked person and don’t wear t-shirts. I’m rather portly and try not to put too much on display. If I wear on the belt, I’m most comfortable, but then I need to untuck. I’ve ordered some shirts designed to be worn untucked. Until then, I wear an ankle / calf holster. Very comfortable, but I need to pull up a pant leg to draw. I’m concerned about getting my gun in play in a timely manner if it’s ever needed. I’m still trying to think this through. Winter doesn’t seem to have the same issues.

5 Likes

Bryan welcome and congratulations!

I am a firm believer in doing the WalMart walk to learn to get more comfortable. It literally consists of wearing your firearm and walking into the store, starting at one side and walking each and every aisle till you reach the other side. By the time you reach the other side, you’ll feel far more comfortable than you did when you first started.

Everyone struggles with feeling “comfortable” the first few days/weeks/months and it may take some people longer to start feeling comfortable than others. I would most definitely say head to a walmart or whatever large store you have near you and walk each aisle. When you first start, you feel like everyone knows and sees your pistol (they don’t). You’ll fidget with your clothes (stop that), you’ll try and adjust (stop that too) and just walk around. You’ll realize soon enough that no one has a clue you have a loaded weapon on your person and you’ll start relaxing and start realizing it’s ok.

Take care and ask us anything you’re curious about.

8 Likes