CCW in Indiana

I’m new to the family of conceal carry so I’m trying to learn everything I can about being a responsible person but I’m curious about others opinions on if I was to get stopped by law enforcement for say speeding and I’m carrying and even though Indiana is a no duty to inform wouldn’t it be in everybody’s interest to tell that officer that I am and tell that officer the location of my firearm ? I know several would say it’s up to the individual but being there is more younger officers in the field now and they seem more uptight than the more experienced and older police officers. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

4 Likes

My instructor suggest we keep our CCL card buried/ covered in our wallets. Suggested not offering. I assume he is in the know.

2 Likes

I am surprised that this was not discussed in your CC class. No, you are not required, as you stated you do not have have “a duty to inform”. However, as the officer will know that you are a CC holder when you are pulled over, it is polite to mention that you have a CC permit/license, that you are/are not carrying, location of firearm, and how he/she would like to proceed. This topic has previously been discussed on several or more threads in this community. Here is one thread. I used the query “duty to inform” and there is a long list of threads for you to peruse.

1 Like

@Carl102 Welcome to the family brother so glad you came. As it has been said, you do not have to inform if you do not what to, they know from running your plates before they even stop you. As for me I have gotten stopped in many states for going over the suggested speed limit. I always have given my EHCP and they all has just said they do not need it and thanked me for standing up for my 2A rights.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my question. I’m glad I joined the forum , I’ve read a lot of useful things on here.

2 Likes

I’m of the personal opinion that there’s no reason to bring it up, unless it becomes an issue.
What I mean is, if you’re simply pulled over for speeding, it’s not an issue. You’re staying in your vehicle, and the officer isn’t climbing in.

If for some reason the officer has a reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle and you have a firearm stored there, it’s best to inform the officer so s/he knows where it is. Follow the officer’s instructions. They may want you to clear it and hand it over, but they are likely to have you leave it alone and exit the vehicle.

If the officer asks, give honest, simple, and clear answers. “Are you carrying a firearm?” “Yes.” The officer is asking for a reason, and it may be simple situational awareness. S/He may ask you follow up questions or give you further instructions. Continue to answer and comply. Even if officers overstep their authority, you need to get through the encounter and you can file a complaint later. Giving officers honest answers will usually help put them at ease.

For what it’s worth, I would give the same advice about knives, handcuff keys, drugs, etc… legal or illegal.

Every law enforcement officer is different, but I know several in your state who agree with me.

2 Likes

I took the time to talk to police officers about this very matter. If you are acting nervous and suspicious they are going to re act to you. If you casually in conversation tell him that you have a concealed carry license. If he asks you where you have it just state where you have it then follow his instructions. I personally would not inform them unless they ask me to step out of the vehicle because I know then I am in trouble. I would say, "Yes sir but I want to inform you I have a CCL and I am carrying. What would you like me to do? "What ever you do do not scare them or make them nervous.

5 Likes

That is true in some states, but not all. In Wisconsin, the DMV and DOJ are not connected so they will not know.

I occasionally teach with a retired LEO in Wisconsin. He does advocate that you inform even though you’re not required to (in Wisconsin). Those he’s trained – he trained police officers for 20+ years – will ask where the firearm is for their knowledge and then most will likely start talking with you about what you’re carrying. In SE Wisconsin where he was an officer and where we teach, he said most police are very happy that people are protecting themselves.

The only time I’d be adamant about informing in a state that doesn’t have the duty to inform is if they’re going to see it as you’re reaching for something or they’re going to find it. If you’re carrying at 3:00 and your wallet is in your right back pocket, explain the situation and ask how they would like you to proceed, “I have my concealed carry permit and am carrying at 3:00. My wallet is in my back right pocket. How would you like me to proceed?” And then do exactly what they say. If there is any question, ask for clarification before moving.

They all want to get home to their families at the end of the day just like we do.

Here is a link to the laws in Indiana for you. The USCCA Reciprocity Map is continually updated as laws change so check back often:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/in-gun-laws/

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I do feel I should let them know because if I were in law enforcement I would be a little uneasy not knowing .

1 Like

That’s where every LEO is different.
I’m not saying there’s a right or wrong answer. I’m just saying it depends on who you ask.

Some of my LEO buddies will say they want to know. They feel at ease knowing that you passed the ISP background check and that you’re offering them info. After all, you wouldn’t tell them you had a firearm if you had any thoughts about using it on them, would you?

The counter-argument is that if there’s no need to bring it up, then it just creates unnecessary tension. You don’t know who this LEO is or how s/he will react. The LEO might respond positively, but could also be thinking “Why are you telling me you have a gun? Is that a threat? What else is in the vehicle? Should I take it? Do I need to call this up?”

1 Like

The one time I was stopped just north of the Marion county line, the first thing I did was inform the officer. The reason is because at that time I kept my wallet on the same side as my weapon. So that, I felt, was for my own safety. But I also found that, by informing the officer, it helps build a rapore of trust, and to potentially diffuse a stressful situation before it begins. In my case, the officer seemed to lighten up and become more friendly.

1 Like