CC Courtesy

Question to all

What are your thoughts on CC when visiting a private residence or family members house for a few hours or when staying overnight?

Do you let them know you will be carrying?
Do you ask them if they are ok with it?
Do you carry and not let them know?
What if they are not comfortable having you carry in their home?

As a fairly new CCW owner, this is a situation that is nearing in reality for me and I would appreciate any feedback.

11 Likes

Check previous threads around November before Thanksgiving we had the same discussion you are asking about. It’s a very long thread. It was starting Before Thanksgiving.

5 Likes

@ScottH. Welcome to the community. Wisconsin Law states you have to let a person in a private residence know that you are carrying and give them a chance to O.K. or Nay your request. They have a right to deny you entry and you may have to secure it in your vehicle. If you bring it in concealed anyway, you can be asked to leave.

7 Likes

Ok thanks I’ll look for the thread. I figured this had to have been brought up before.

4 Likes

Yes Sir Scott and welcome to the Community and nice having you and your wife here.

5 Likes

Thanks Robert. I’m happy to be a part of the community.

Thanks again

6 Likes

We’re very happy you’re both here. We’re all friendly so don’t be timid nobody is going to bite your head off. Those types are here and gone because they are not tolerated.

7 Likes

People close to me know I carry. People who don’t know, I don’t ask them or tell them. The exception would be if I knew someone was against it before hand. I’d probably just not go over there then. People sometimes wonder why I need to go out to the car before we have shots. If drinking is planned, I’d just leave it at home.

10 Likes

I’m with @Brian1…strictly don’t ask don’t tell. I don’t ask them their gun politics…and I don’t tell them I’m carrying.

I think I’d probably do the same were there a State law in place…if they found out and asked me to leave I’d happily leave (of course I’m thinking the only way they’d find out is if an incident occurred at which point I’d hope they’d be thankful I was in fact armed).

13 Likes

00BE0070-6710-43E1-93DD-420C9AC18D3B

I don’t ask. Don’t tell.

27 Likes

@TexasEskimo…I love that sign!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Those who matter to me know. If I can’t come as I am, I don’t go. Doesn’t bother me at all for wife and daughter to go without me. I actually prefer it.

One Xmas Eve I am asleep on couch by front door at my Grandfather in Laws house, when someone steps in dressed as :santa:. I whisper to him, I’m a little to old to believe in :santa:. He freezes, turns around, and I realize it’s one of my soon to be wife’s uncle’s. It was a very funny story the next day…

Until he realized I had a gun.

6 Likes

In Louisiana its law…

3 Likes

Here’s one of the conversations in the Community about carrying in someone else’s home:

I’ll see if I can find the others.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thank you :+1:

2 Likes

Anyone that knows me enough to invite me to their house, knows I’m carrying, and is fine with it. I know some people, that know I “might” be carrying, and they don’t invite me over. And, I’m fine with that.

8 Likes

Hi Scott, welcome to the community!

It varies by who I’m visiting, but for the most part I don’t share the fact I’m carrying. I’m well-trained and conscientious, so I don’t worry too much about it. The only exception are my in-laws. They’re against it, and when at their residence I honor their desire.

You’ll find that the more you carry, the more proficient and comfortable you’ll be with it. For myself I was very self-conscious in public for the first few months. Best of luck, kudos to you for protecting your loved ones.

8 Likes

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the feedback.

This is a great forum. I can see that everyone is here to help and support each other.

What a great community!

4 Likes

That it is. I’ve only been carrying a couple years, this is a great forum.

3 Likes

I meant to mention, when I first started carrying, I was hypersensitive about “printing.” Could people see the bulge of my CC underneath my clothing? I think you’ll find that 99%+ of the public doesn’t pay that much attention.

7 Likes