Carrying Trade Offs

When you decide to carry a gun for your self-defense, there are trade-offs. Jason shares some great aspects of those trade-offs in his latest blog post:

What trade-offs have you had to make to accommodate carrying?

1 Like

Buy bigger pants, slight discomfort on long car rides, avoiding certain places. None of these were huge issues. Pants need replaced from time to time anyway, getting out to stretch during a car ride is a good practice, and the place avoidance only really applies to post offices for me. The way I dress, style wise, didn’t change.

3 Likes

About the same for me as @45IPAC… not a lot changed. I’m not a belt wearer usually, so depending on which holster, I needed to add a belt (none needed for the carry corset). I don’t generally drink, and never more than one (like 4 or 5 times a year). Missouri laws are pretty good so I’m good in school parkng lots and our bank is cool and doesn’t post. I added a locking holster to my truck and park on the street at the post office.

Biggest change is that it added 10 minutes to my morning routine.

2 Likes

On par with previous posts. It took a few holsters to find one that was the most comfortable. I hand to change my wardrobe a little bit. (Wife doesn’t mind less gym shorts in public)

As for where you can and can’t carry. I’ve noticed that didn’t last too long once you figure out your day to day spots. I don’t even think about it anymore.

3 Likes

10 minutes? How did it add that much… Oh wait! I remember seeing how much you take with you every morning :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl:
well, mostly its because I get my coffee on the WAY to work, not at home, and I’m just a little slow :joy:

honestly it’s mostly sleep-brained indecision… .45 or 9mm? holster or corset? black belt or green belt? how many hooks ARE there on this corset?! :flushed::wink::rofl:

4 Likes

I pocket carry, so the wardrobe challenge is limited to finding deep pockets. I live in a warm climate, and wear shirts and polo shirts most of these. Also I am waistline challenged.

I realize this would offend “Tactical Tim” who feels one should carry a Master Blaster 300 and 5 mags, but, it works for me, and covers most odds.

2 Likes

I’ll bite!

Carry - weather dependent.
I choose my carry gun based on how I dress. I do NOT dress around my gun. I know I am one of the few.
In the summer, I usually carry my Sig P238 .380. I have a small appendix holster. (Stealth Gear) and I can carry wearing gym shorts. I do make sure I’m not wearing a tight shirt of which I have few anyway.
In the cool weather it’s the Sig or my Shield 9mm.

Off body carry is a terrible idea and the only time I do it is when I’m out for a spin on my E-Bike but it’s right in the bag on the top bar on my bike. When I ride, I don’t stop and lock my bike somewhere but if I did, the gun would be on me fast.

I do like to have drinks when we go out so I just don’t carry. I realize I am putting my safety 2nd, but that’s my choice. I can’t carry in the brew pub I frequent anyway. At home, well I keep a baseball bat by the bed so in the event of a break in…I have something. Again, my choice. Guns and alcohol just don’t mix.

The post office and schools are a tough one and it’s so easy to break the law. The PO I go to is in the crappiest of area’s. Locking it in the car on the street is not the best bet.So…I got nothing here except I know when I’m going, it’s never random. Our banks do not have no weapon signs but our local hospital and my doctors does. NY does NOT have a parking lot law either so if your employer has a no gun policy, you can’t even lock it in your car. Now, only stupid people tend to get caught but each person must weigh the risk.

Choose wisely my friends, choose wisely and don’t be dumb. Pretty sure the USCCA does not cover dumb!

3 Likes

Several. First, a wardrobe change. I have to wear my shirts untucked now, something I’m not used to. My new shirt purchases are being made accordingly. Second, holsters. I have several for each of my guns. I select based on weather, attire, etc. Sort of like Imelda Marcos with her shoes, right? Finally, which gun? One prints a little more than the other, so gun choice is often influenced by bagginess of clothing.

I never drink beer when I carry. Period. And I can’t forget to mention training. I’m much more diligent now that I carry daily. If fit does hit the shan, I’ll have to rely on muscle memory!

1 Like

A warm climate all year round sounds so foreign to me. It’s supposed to be 70 on Thursday and possible flurries on Saturday - I love Wisconsin’s weather. :slight_smile:

Waistline challenged - I am going to have to borrow that!!!

1 Like

I appreciate how well you’ve thought this out, @Sneezy! And there’s nothing wrong with your choice to enjoy a brew pub and not carry. You have to live your life. Your training can still help you in case of an emergency- you’re more likely to see a bad situation starting and get out before it gets worse.

Even if you were carrying somewhere and hadn’t had a drop to drink, an attacker could get the drop on you if they were determined enough. I’m glad you’re living your life! And I agree, guns and alcohol just don’t mix.

1 Like

Everything we do in life is a balance. I respect your choice to live yours and not allowing fear to dictate your life. Kudos to not mixing alcohol and firearms
I just did a 12 day vacation with no firearms that took just as much getting used too as carrying.

2 Likes

There are some items in my closet that I can’t wear now because of being form fitting. Unless I put on a jacket and carry in a position where the jacket helps conceal my handgun. I don’t drink very often. Anyways a Shirley Temple isn’t bad. Gives the impression that you are drinking something and your drunk friends won’t be any the wiser. :laughing:

4 Likes