Carry on a Motorcycle

With the taste of almost spring-like weather in Wisconsin yesterday, last night I had dreams of riding our Harley this summer! (For those of you who’ve never experienced a snowy winter - the first warm day is nothing short of amazing!)

This will be the first year I’m doing a lot of riding. We’ll be riding with a couple of friends and in some bigger groups.

Do you ride? If so, how do you carry when you ride?

We have something similar, but not this exact bike. For a while I will be passenger only. I take my motorcycle drivers class over Mother’s Day weekend - I may be pretty quiet on the Community that weekend. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Personal question, how tall are you? I’m not going to say get a Sportster just because your a woman. My point is, get something with a low seat height. A Fatboy low, a Deuce, a Sportster Custom. They are better suited to people with a shorter inseam.

1 Like

I’m short - 5’4". I’ll be riding passenger for now on our Ultra Limited.

I usually carry 4 o’clock but I’d rather have the firearm more accessible as a passenger. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I really depends on what you will be wearing. I’ve been riding Harleys longer than I care to say and depending on what I’m wearing I will carry my Springfield XD-40 in a shoulder holster or my Springfield XDs-40 in a IWB holster or ankle holster. The main thing to consider is be comfortable. Because if you aren’t comfortable, you won’t carry.

4 Likes

Shoulder is what I was gonna suggest. Or, FlashBang bra holster.

2 Likes

Riding is why I bought my shoulder rig. I also open carry as well as having a CC vest with gun pockets on the inside.

A friend of mine owns a local leather repair/motorcycle gear shop. This year she got in a new thigh bag that is also a CC bag (she had it in the store for 3 weeks before she discovered it had a CC compartment). I will be getting one of these before I start riding this year.

Two years ago my wife and I took (mostly) route 66 from Wisconsin as far as Las Vegas (I have friends and relatives there). Before I made the trip I researched the CC laws of the states I was going to travel through. I then applied and received my non-residence CC from the state of Florida. This allowed me to carry in the two states that did not recognize Wisconsin’s CC at the time (thanks for the maps USCCA).

2 Likes

What thigh bag did she have, @DBrogue? I’m thinking that might be a good option for me. As a passenger, a shoulder holster might be hard for me to get to.

1 Like

I will stop at her shop and take a picture of it for you and post it

Thanks,

Don

1 Like

You’re awesome! Thank you, @DBrogue! (If she’s got a smart phone she could just text you a picture of it - may save you a trip.)

We’re hoping to ride this Saturday for the first time this season. It should be a balmy 50 degrees! :wink:

1 Like

Sorry Dawn, I forgot she is closed on Mondays but I will get you the information tomorrow. Oh and no extra trip the store is on my way home from work.

2 Likes

Here are some pictures of the bag i was telling you about. I even got Toby to model it.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that @DBrogue! I’m definitely going to check into it.

1 Like

If you ride to Stoughton on Saturday she is open and has a few on hand

1 Like

Hmmm… we are riding on Saturday - do you think she’ll be open then?

1 Like

Yes I know she is open I think until 6 pm but 4 for sure. The store is on main street across from the theater.

2 Likes

It’s supposed to be 55 on Saturday! Yay! So maybe we’ll head that way. About an hour from me.

1 Like

I am kind of short (5’7"), and ride a 2019 FLHC ‘Heritage Special’. I normally carry IWB in the 8 or 9 o’clock position (I’m a southpaw.) The holster angle can make a big difference in the comfort of your rig.

2 Likes