Carry on a Motorcycle

With the taste of almost spring-like weather in Wisconsin yesterday, last night I had dreams of riding our Harley this summer! (For those of you who’ve never experienced a snowy winter - the first warm day is nothing short of amazing!)

This will be the first year I’m doing a lot of riding. We’ll be riding with a couple of friends and in some bigger groups.

Do you ride? If so, how do you carry when you ride?

We have something similar, but not this exact bike. For a while I will be passenger only. I take my motorcycle drivers class over Mother’s Day weekend - I may be pretty quiet on the Community that weekend. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Personal question, how tall are you? I’m not going to say get a Sportster just because your a woman. My point is, get something with a low seat height. A Fatboy low, a Deuce, a Sportster Custom. They are better suited to people with a shorter inseam.

1 Like

I’m short - 5’4". I’ll be riding passenger for now on our Ultra Limited.

I usually carry 4 o’clock but I’d rather have the firearm more accessible as a passenger. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I really depends on what you will be wearing. I’ve been riding Harleys longer than I care to say and depending on what I’m wearing I will carry my Springfield XD-40 in a shoulder holster or my Springfield XDs-40 in a IWB holster or ankle holster. The main thing to consider is be comfortable. Because if you aren’t comfortable, you won’t carry.

4 Likes

Shoulder is what I was gonna suggest. Or, FlashBang bra holster.

3 Likes

Riding is why I bought my shoulder rig. I also open carry as well as having a CC vest with gun pockets on the inside.

A friend of mine owns a local leather repair/motorcycle gear shop. This year she got in a new thigh bag that is also a CC bag (she had it in the store for 3 weeks before she discovered it had a CC compartment). I will be getting one of these before I start riding this year.

Two years ago my wife and I took (mostly) route 66 from Wisconsin as far as Las Vegas (I have friends and relatives there). Before I made the trip I researched the CC laws of the states I was going to travel through. I then applied and received my non-residence CC from the state of Florida. This allowed me to carry in the two states that did not recognize Wisconsin’s CC at the time (thanks for the maps USCCA).

2 Likes

What thigh bag did she have, @DBrogue? I’m thinking that might be a good option for me. As a passenger, a shoulder holster might be hard for me to get to.

1 Like

I will stop at her shop and take a picture of it for you and post it

Thanks,

Don

1 Like

You’re awesome! Thank you, @DBrogue! (If she’s got a smart phone she could just text you a picture of it - may save you a trip.)

We’re hoping to ride this Saturday for the first time this season. It should be a balmy 50 degrees! :wink:

1 Like

Sorry Dawn, I forgot she is closed on Mondays but I will get you the information tomorrow. Oh and no extra trip the store is on my way home from work.

2 Likes

Here are some pictures of the bag i was telling you about. I even got Toby to model it.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that @DBrogue! I’m definitely going to check into it.

1 Like

If you ride to Stoughton on Saturday she is open and has a few on hand

1 Like

Hmmm… we are riding on Saturday - do you think she’ll be open then?

1 Like

Yes I know she is open I think until 6 pm but 4 for sure. The store is on main street across from the theater.

2 Likes

It’s supposed to be 55 on Saturday! Yay! So maybe we’ll head that way. About an hour from me.

1 Like

I am kind of short (5’7"), and ride a 2019 FLHC ‘Heritage Special’. I normally carry IWB in the 8 or 9 o’clock position (I’m a southpaw.) The holster angle can make a big difference in the comfort of your rig.

3 Likes

Dawn I carry a Don Hume IWB at 4 o’clock with a thumb break. Just don’t want to take a chance of it coming out when on the road.

2 Likes

I recently picked up a Ukoala bag, haven’t tried it when I drive yet, but it’s really comfortable when I’m the passenger. I’ll have to check out the Don Hume, @Ted - I like having multiple options!

2 Likes

I ride a big ol Harley Street Glide and often ask myself "whats the best way and/or best side to conceal carry while Im riding? Which side has a better advantage to drawing if ever needed? I generally carry outside of waistband on right side about 4/5 o’clock. Ive tried some “dummy” rides with empty .45 SPringfield XDS (my everyday carry). Ive tried to let go of throttle while drawing to find it difficult to retrieve gun while wearing layers of either riding shirts, or jackets. To me,letting go of the throttle is a mistake because now I cant leave the situation. So I purchased a leather vest from LeatherUp.com which offers a great conceal carry leather vest. One could conceal left or right inside the vest. Real nice wide elastic band in inner pocket to hold gun in place and separate band right beside it for extra mag. Did another “dummy” ride with an empty gun with it concealed inner left in vest. Found if i only snapped bottom 2 buttons with zipper only pulled up same amount,left me plenty of room to retrieve my gun. Same situational question of,now I cant leave cause my hands off throttle to retrieve my inner left,BUT…I found I can dump the gun right back in just as fast and get my hand back on the throttle in a manner of a few seconds. Entire time,Left bike in gear,just used left hand to hold clutch in. This way all I gotta do is dump the gun back in vest,dump the clutch and throttle away. Yes,I can literally dump the gun right back into the inner pouch of the vest,(it didnt always end up behind the elastic band,but it made it into inner pouch),the opening is big and with my bottom two buttons snapped and zipper partially up,it keeps gun in a good snug spot.
My “dummy” rides were on my friends property that has long farm lanes I was able to reach at least 30mph.
Theirs a gy that lives in same town as me that made some type of fame by making left side cover a conceal carry,buy reaching down and opening the top of it/ If seen this and the opening is barely enough to get your hand in and ive seen this guy demonstrate this and every time he damn near fumbled the gun,due to the small opening,so this was not an option for me.
Ive looked around on here but didnt find any of the same topic. Any riders on here that conceal carry? How do you fair? Do you ever think of how you would draw if needed?