Can you draw your gun in time at this distance (video on uscca)

When you watch this video, what is your thoughts?
My thoughts were:
1- Movement in a circle firing unknown number of rounds, do you know what is in the distance beyond? At all angles.
2- It’s very easy to do and show under a controlled situation where the attacker keeps running in a straight line and doesn’t curve towards you.
3- As I said, controlled situation where the defender knows it’s coming. You might not know you are being attacked until the perp has already started his movement and the distance is less than 21 feet.
I do agree you should train for any and all situations that might arise but remember there might be secondary situations after the attack which you must understand and be able to sustain.
Other videos from USCCA has these to help you in the aftermath of a attack.

4 Likes

Which video?

2 Likes

You Tube video section, it’s the most recent.

2 Likes

I will say

1. Doesn’t seem super different to me than “straight” shooting…real world, time and place you don’t choose, the attacker is where they are and you can only move a matter of feet…what makes the area “behind” the attacker any different than the area that is “behind the attacker after you step off the X”? I guess having your backstop move 90 degrees during the attack potentially puts more stuff in your backstop area but…it’s not a backstop you chose probably no matter whether you move off the X or not

2. True. I would guess most attackers that run towards you aren’t able to turn their forward run as quickly as you can move sideways when you aren’t trying to run forward also

3. Yes. 21 feet isn’t far enough. Sometimes 21 feet is enough when you know that sometime in the next 10 seconds the guy will start moving and you are supposed to draw and fire. In real life, you aren’t likely to have them 21 feet away and you aren’t likely to be able to simply draw and fire immediately just because the guy started moving

2 Likes
4 Likes

Several valid points on how to best respond to a charging attacker in this video. But the 21 foot “rule” is completely bogus as described. 21 feet is way too close to be able to guarantee that an attacker won’t be able to do significant harm to you before you can deploy your weapon and get enough critical hits in to ensure the attack stops.

7 Likes

In reality 21 feet isn’t a “rule”, and I hate that it gets called that.

It’s a drill.

By the numbers an able bodied attacker starting motionless can cover 21 feet and contact you with an impact/cutting weapon in less time than an average conceal carrier can draw and place one shot…and that’s when they are allowed to draw and fire the instant they detect motion in the attacker. And that’s just one shot.

8 Likes

21 feet is just a reference… noting more.
Some people can cover it in less that 1 second, some people more than 3 seconds.
How fast you can draw? Can you even find a time to draw… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
For each of us this “21 feet” distance will be different.
Sometimes escape is a better tactic than drawing a firearm…

5 Likes

IMG_4036

11 Likes

Ummm… Pretty sure he said Drawl. :thinking:

5 Likes

If you can draw like this, you cannot claim a self defense when you shoot somebody from 5 feet. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Why is that? Being able to draw fast doesn’t mean the imminent deadly threat isn’t an imminent deadly threat

yeah… I’ve never tried drawling my gun from any distance… Is it even possible? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

it doesn’t apply to such fast… :point_down:

2 Likes

Sometimes I feel like my draw speed has a bit of a Southern Drawl to it. Especially when my coach is charging at me ready to jab his foam knife into my gut.

He unfortunately doesn’t keep running in a straight ahead line when I swing to the left or right. Getting off the X buys me an extra fraction of a second or so but often not enough time to keep the “blade” from contacting my body.

4 Likes

Ok, ok no matter how much we do something or how good we are we all make a mistake at some point.
It’s good we have teachers to correct us.

2 Likes

I read time and again from those who have been in deadly situations about your fine motor skills freezing up (i.e. grip, trigger finger). You are talking about seconds and it only takes one small thing to go wrong, Gun snags coming out of the holster or your fingers freeze up. I would think you need a shield, not a gun if someone with a knife is coming full speed toward you. Something to block the knife, or divert it or change the direction of the thrust. You are going to get cut, but you need to protect your vital arteries and organs. A shield could be something as simple as bending one arm over your face, elbow in front; divert the thrust; then use the elbow as a weapon, if possible. You can raise your arm like that in a fraction of a second.

2 Likes

Definitely some variables with the 21 foot charge and resultant personal reaction. If this assailant is the only person around, he’s already on our radar and being assessed. If the assailant is in a crowded area, there are closer people getting a flash of surveillance as a possible threat. Oh, the assailant could come undetected from behind too. What if the assailant is charging; but, is really targeting a person close to us?

Stepping aside or using a shopping cart to deflect the assailant could be the best first response. Then, if the assailant changes directions towards us, stand the ground might be inevitable.

Holster location is worth considering too–hip or front. Get jumped from behind, drawing from the front is better.

These scenarios definitely get me thinking.

3 Likes

Personally, and this is my opinion only. Due to the way I lived and trained as a young man, I am going for a knife with my left hand and blading my body to use my left hand knife as a shield to me while I draw my firearm with my right. Very few people have the desire to charge into a “you cut me, I cut you” knife wound exchange. I would hazard, short of knowing me, that most wouldn’t know that I have a knife :dagger: within inches of my hand at all times our in public.

My habits evolve and change, as my capabilities ebb and flow with my physical abilities. But my desire to never be a victim remains as ever.

That’s how I wear one of several knives that I routinely carry. One thing that has changed, is that I no longer carry any weapon visibly anymore. I don’t think I could win a retention fight anymore. So everything is concealed now.

6 Likes

I agree this is only a video simulation. However, most people (real v simulation) do not walk in a bladed style or stand naturally in a bladed stance, per the simulation. Because of this it limits the victim’s direction off the X. Moving to the attacker’s weak side gives the better and safer advantage.

Ok, done with being the nite picky Monday morning quarterback.

@Zavier_D, in California carrying a fixed blade concealed is a felon. However, being California, you will be arrested, booked and released (if you have a criminal background). Now if you are a law abiding citizen you will be arrest, have to post bond, pay a fine and or serve time in jail.

Because thar is social justice.

7 Likes