Can you draw your gun in time at this distance (video on uscca)

My Krav Maga coach teaches this technique for defense from punches.

It might work as a last ditch defense against a single knife swing to the face or neck. But the training I have had for knife defense is to either get both hands wrapped just above the wrist of the attackers knife hand to gain control of it (best for stabs or slices from a lower position) or to use my forearm to block the forearm of the knife swinger (works for low or high attacks). Then wrap up their arm to make it so they can’t slice or stab effectively and get inside to throw some knees and head butts, etc.

Any way you slice it you are likely going to get cut:( The key is controlling distance and keeping the knife away from vital areas and then inflicting as much pain as possible as soon as possible so they can’t effectively continue their attack.

Ideally I would want to get a knife or pistol into the fight before they can strike but I don’t want one of my hands tied up trying to get to a weapon while they are openly striking me. In my get to my gun drills it usually works out best to not try and draw until I have the attacker off balance and moving away. Unless I have the time and space to draw and get several shots in before my coach can get his knife or hands on me.

3 Likes

glad i live where i do. There are no legal penalties for carrying or concealing a knife in Wisconsin regardless of blade length or style of knife, unless you are prohibited from possessing a firearm. It is, however, illegal to carry any knife into any publicly owned building or use it as a weapon. i also carry a snap batton and other thing in my edc kit.

But only for the first time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Fortunately, for me then, I don’t live in California. I live in a State that allows me to do as I do. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am under no delusions, I know there are plenty of people who are far more adept than I. I just want those who would prey on others to know I am more trouble than it’s worth. I’m a good sized guy. 5’11" 215. So my thoughts is to make myself fit in that niche of being to much trouble, there’s easier victims out there, and not worth the effort because there’s no glory in taking me on.

I don’t know how many on this forum have been in a knife fight. I have. It’s bloody and messy, half of the fight is them knowing you are willing to be cut, just so you can cut them. Most people don’t want that.

It’s the best I can do now. I fight with what I have, not what I wish I had, and I am not the physical specimen I used to be.

3 Likes

I believe in the time, distance given, reaction time and draw, yes. An attacker would receive 2-3 rounds by the time of or during the thrust. The first round might hit a leg or the groin, or miss between the legs. The second and third will be lower to center torso.Point being once I clear holster and bring the gun somewhat level rounds are going into said attacker from a diminished position. I could and likely would be cut as I parry the thrust but the attacker would either be down or greatly diminished.

Interesting post. Timing being so critical.

Does have me thinking more about the type of holsters I use, retention based vs snap or even velcro, different options out there. I find the velcro strong to hold down a firearm but slower to drawn from and even re-stick/reseal again all by itself before I can even draw - a liability. Been liking the snap button or just plain retention where’s there’s no extra step needed to draw.

FWIW I don’t think I have ever encountered a pro or well trained individual who had any Velcro on their holster in any way

For concealed carry, active retention devices that must be disabled are very rare. Nothing wrong with them, and I wouldnt’ turn down a Safariland ALS style button on my IWB concealed holster if nothing else changed, but, truly concealed (not just ‘only criminals notice printing’) friction retention you simply pull up to defeat is the standard and is of course the best for speed

3 Likes