can someone give me some tips to handgun shooting

I always shoot low and left and I highly doubt I will be able to be effective when it comes to defending myself with the handgun(I shot from 5, 10 and 15 yards). the shot that hit the center was actually my first shot and hit where I was aiming, then I just started shooting low for some reason without changing the way I manipulate my trigger

7 Likes

9 Likes

Is your handgun a revolver or semi-auto pistol? What caliber is your handgun? Make sure you have a good, strong, firm hand grip of the handgun, including if you’re using a second support hand grip as well, while PRESSING the trigger at each shot placement. Make sure you’re using ear, and eye protection for safety.

3 Likes

Glock 19

3 Likes

“Can someone give me some tips to handgun shooting”

Practice, practice, practice! Work on consistent (reproducible) trigger pull while maintaining sights on target. Practice will build “muscle memory”.

6 Likes

Are you a USCCA member? There are several courses, videos, and Qualifications in the Protector Academy on their website to help.

There is also

Tip: If you call and order over the phone (or chat), you might be able to get a discount on some of the educational books.

There is a lot to handgun marksmanship, but here is the bottom line for each individual shot
Put the front sight where you want to hit, and press the trigger without moving the front sight. For that shot
that’s it.

8 Likes

The best drill for nearly everyone:

5 Likes

You need to isolate your finger pull to only involve your trigger finger and not your whole hand when shooting.

Maintain a good sight picture while shooting.

Stay focused on your front sight

Then you may have a 6 O’clock sight set-up or dead center set-up on your sights. With yours I believe you have dead center sights. So, you need to align the top of your sights with the top of your target aligning the dots on the center of your target.

I hope this information will help!

11 Likes

Some good advice above.

I would strongly recommend getting some lessons from a qualified instructor. If time and money don’t allow in person lessons then taking an online class that clearly shows proper grip and trigger control would be a good option. There are lots of online or DVD choices including the USCCA material.

Practice is very important but you want to make sure you are practicing good techniques and not building bad habits into your muscle memory.

After you get some solid pointers you can and should do most of your practice with dryfire -with a safely unloaded pistol and solid backstop. Then you can go to the range and do some live fire to confirm the dryfire practice is working.

8 Likes

For trigger control I highly recommend Mantis, you can go with the basic system and your phone, no fancy targets or anything.

5 Likes

According to @Scott52 ’s chart you are tightening your grip before you press the trigger and anticipating the recoil if you are right handed. Try getting a firm grip and not changing the pressure until you are done the magazine.

2 Likes

Bear in mind that, IIRC, those charts
which are guides and not a guarantee
are typically created on the assumption of shooting one handed. Not that it’s wrong
typically people shoot low left and it’s a combination of a dirty trigger pull and recoil anticipation

6 Likes

Recoil anticipation is the death of me.
Lots of great advice above.
Dry fire practice helps too.

5 Likes

I have had made significant improvement by using a laser cartridge for ‘dry fire’ practice. STRIKEMAN is a pretty decent system.

5 Likes

@Yusheng , you will never find out what is wrong and never correct yourself without live feedback.
So as already mentioned - find an Instructor and work with him / her.

You are experiencing typical shooting problem, which definitely can be corrected, but do this slowly, patiently and under supervision. You need somebody qualified to point all your mistakes done during shooting process.

@Todd30 got a good idea what the problem is. Trigger finger isolation and proper placement. Then trigger finger constant and fluent movement straight to the rear.
If you know where is the trigger’s wall - use it. Once you feel it, then go over these above steps once again, before you continue pressing passing the wall.
Your problem with left/low might be created before reaching the wall or during passing the wall. Bad trigger finger work can be corrected only with patience.
Never fight with the trigger, don’t be hard on it and never be too fast with pressing it.
Your shooting should be like pressing elevator button
 nice and gentle.

I wouldn’t worry about anticipation at this moment. You cannot fix two things the same time. Focus on the trigger - this is your priority.

:point_up: these are only my advices. It worked for me and people I taught, but it may not work for you. Just try and decide. You will learn from the practice that works best for you
 but remember - you always need a feedback to be sure your learning process is on proper track.

Good luck !

6 Likes

I would submit several observations on this target.

There are way too may holes in that target to be an effective training evolution. Best guess is you blew through 100 rounds and did not re-evaluate your technique. So you “trained” yourself to soot low and left, but you don’t know why.

You said your 1st round was center.

Following that you were looking at the target not the sights.

You are right hand dominant and your left hand is pulling the gun down and left be cause you are gripping the gun with the right and pulling the gun with the left. It takes less strength to pull the gun than grip it.

The other option is that you are right handed and left eye dominant.

As noted above finger position and grip angle is very important.

I recommend to new shooters to pick up the pistol, adjust grip, push forward and shoot one shot. Then bench the gun and begin again. Each time focusing on proper grip and trigger control, sight alignment, breathing etc. It takes very few rounds to “know” when the gun is in your hand “right”. Your trigger finger position will fall into place during this also

One other thing that a lot of folks don’t talk about is NPA (Natural Point of Aim) if you belly up to the shooting bench with both feet straight apart your body will be twisting unnaturally to compensate for how your hands are coming together adding stress to your body. There is a significant difference in hand position when shooting a pistol to the tune of 2 - 4 inches depending on your hand size, grip etc. This needs to be addressed especially for an isosceles stance, Weaver and Modified Weaver are whole other balls of wax.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

I have known the wall and the fact that I need to pull the trigger slowly for a long time, I still shoot low.

1 Like

I cleared the gun and sent the target home after the first shot, that is how I know I hit the center with my first shot

1 Like

It is true that I am cross eye dominant

1 Like

And you will still shooting low without proper diagnostic of the problem.
Trigger wall is only the sweet spot that allows you for fast and accurate shots. You have to develop good technique of whole procedure.

As @Craig6 mentioned - don’t waste ammo. Shoot 5 - 10 rounds, then diagnose. Observe and find what went wrong.
I strongly recommend having Instructor who tells you what and how correct and improve.

1 Like