Target Feedback

So this is only my second time at the range with a pistol, I haven’t done a lot of shooting in my life. I’m still working on my grip and learning on how to shoot with both eyes open. How does this 2 magazine grouping look?

7 Likes

@Tyler30 that looks awesome for your second or twentieth time. You will find everyone wants to give advise and has an opinion. Some good, some not so good. You need to figure out what works best for YOU… not me, or anyone else.
I’ll start here… get a laser system that works with your firearm and dry fire at home on a regular basis. The range is great, but in most cases you are limited in what you do. Especially a range that doesn’t even allow a holster draw. Practice that a home in your dry fire routine. For every live round I fire at a range I probably dry fire 50 to 100 times at home.
And… find a certified defensive shooting instructor. The USCCA has a large network of instructors, but there are other groups that offer great training as well.
Keep it up and work hard… :+1:

6 Likes

If that is a 18x24 target no matter what distance, that’s a great group.
My recommendations are, start at 7 yards, check your breathing and grip. Focus on one shot at a time center mass, then try to put the next round in the same hole. The key is patience and let your body absorb the recoil. Be confident in your stance and don’t let distractions get to you. Especially at an indoor range.
At home place a dime in the front sight and dry fire without moving the dime. Within days you’ll be putting rounds in a 6” plate at 15 yards.
No matter what, with a group like that, on game day, you’re the survivor.

This took 3 years, 5,000 rounds and countless evenings of dry fire. I found that keeping records is a great help. As you can see on the photo I use notes, to help on my next range day.
I’m going to make another “strange” recommendation. Use targets that represent the human body and focus on anatomy because there is no “X” on my body and call your shot. For example when shooting w/my grandkids we use darkotic zombie targets, and we call out our shots. Left kidney, right eye, right arm etc. it makes it fun and relaxing at the same time an extreme amount of focus is required.

6 Likes

As I say to my wife, that would be a bad day for this guy. It’s a good center of mass grouping. I wouldn’t be ashamed of it.

3 Likes

Tyler, was it that close when you were shooting? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, it looks really good. Did you take your time with each shot?

2 Likes

Fantastic job, especially for your second time. You might just be a natural! Well done. No doubt way, way better than my second time. Welcome to the Community.

1 Like

Extremely Impressive My first few 10 Visits to the range I was all over the place mostly lower left- I am at my maybe 20th visit to the range and I am still not that good - with some good advice from here - Grip extension, Grip - stance - Helped me improve - Still Learning

2 Likes

The minimum distance at my range is 15 yards, the target was just pulled in so I could get the shots better in the picture. I try to take my time with each shot but I’m bad with shot anticipation and my left, non dominant hand, seems to move with each shot making me question my grip.

1 Like

Tighten your grip up, hold on like your hanging from a rope. Focus hard on your front sight.

3 Likes

So that was at 15 yards? I would say it is a very good start!

4 Likes

Finally got my Romeo 5 zeroed in. This is after zero, 37 rounds at 25 yards.

1 Like