Drill Helped Me

I watched this video from T-Rex arms (I used to not be a fan, but they’re starting to grow on me a lot)

I decided to rip my targets into pieces today. This really helped me focus on a good site picture. I think some larger targets are harder to focus on the front sight and alignment.
Haven’t been able to shoot as much recently, and I’m finding I really have to focus on fundamentals.

7 Likes

Are you using a laser or red dot?

2 Likes

And that’s what the Indoor Range is for. :wink:

Indoor ranges get a lot of limitations and this T-Rex video shows how to get around them.

Additionally to the drills presented you can try these:

1. To imitate draw process you can pick the handgun from the bench, bring it to your supporting one in front of the chest, build the proper grip, extended and shoot
  2. Once you feel it goes great, do the same and take 3 shots, trying to keep them all in the circle
  3. Next step is to do the same but shooting 2 circles to imitate 2 targets (left-right-left, then right-left-right)

Next - add reload. Load the exact amount you gonna shoot into 2 mags.(1 and 1, 3 and 3)

Do 3 drills from above with emergency reload trying to keep all hits in the circles.

No rush, no time limitation, low rounds count and huge improvement in your fundamentals after single day. :muscle:

2 Likes

A lot of decent advice in the video. One detail: his reload steps come close to muzzling the next lane to the left. You have to watch that gun position during your reload.
reloading

5 Likes

Military way to do proper reloads :wink:

1 Like

And that is why I said “comes close to…” and suggested watching your gun position during the reload. It is not wrong, but it does require attention to the process.

For others reading this thread: the military training @Jerzees referred to is to hold the gun up high in your field of vision so you can see it while still focused down range on the threat or your target.
Since I am recently trained in USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals (DSF) I will point out that program teaches an alternate process, emphasizing keeping both forearms in close register touching your body during the reload, that still allows full focus on the threat yet guarantees a clean positive magazine insertion. Personally, I find the DSF procedure much easier and more reliable to perform consistently than the high floating position as seen in this video.

3 Likes

Agreed.
We always have to follow 4 safety rules. Yes those are impossible to be applied in 100% in reality… but we do everything to be close to them.

Reloads are one of the actions we mostly don’t control muzzling others, but with proper training it becomes a natural and there is no needs to think about it. The problem is that reload must be fast. With fast movements it’s hard to control everything.
The best technique I learned and have been using everyday is to bring the elbow to your body and handgun jumps right in front of your vision (still keeping focus on the threat). Where is the best spot for reloads? The same as the spot we build two handed grip, the same we keep hands together when we clap. This is the spot our body wants us to work with handgun. It’s called work space… but this is actually the best spot where everything is the most efficient.

Proper reload in this work space should point the muzzle up (30 - 35 degrees from vertical line) and away, so there is no chance that ND will harm anyone.

3 Likes

omit this item

[quote=“DEFENDER, post:8, topic:85508, full:true”]
Agree but notes to follow.

Agree.
I would add if you do this “Kninesthitically”, with practice, ie you can do it “Blind Folded”.

ie How to do it Blindfolded or at Night(ie Total DarK).

Having done some Night Shooting(And I mean Total/Pitch Dark). On a mountain.
I found this procedure useful.
Actually “really fast” and most efficient in daylight also.

ie Store your Reload Mags, down, with bullet nose facing the target ie to the Target/Threat.
So for R Hand shooter your reload mags would be stored at 9 oclock. Nose down in fresh mag, bullets facing forward.

So for R Hand shooter:
While empty mag is dropping to the ground -
Your L Hand is reaching for a new/full mag in mag pouch.

Place/position your L Hand so your L Index finger is extended straight out/down.
So actually the Heel of your L Hand will fall on the top(Actually the Bottom)(assuming you store your reload mags nose down, and with bullets facing forward) in your fresh mag.
So when your L Hand reaches your new Full Mag your L Index Finger will fall naturally on the nose
of the top bullet when you pull the new mag up with your Off Hand. For R hand shooter that would be your L. Hand - gets the fresh mag.
Then you can kinesthetically(without actually looking) guide your fresh mag into the mag well.
Since your “gun hand” is fully surrounding the Grip - so you can “by feel” guide the new mag into that spot - if you have your finger on the top of the 1st/top bullet of the new mag.

Practice and You can do this Blindfolded, at night, etc.

1 Like

This I was taught while on active duty, better known as “your workspace.” Never learned the other, “held high (that is),” Must have been “big army” teaching or other services methodology. Great post though, I thank God for your expertise and instructional value that you bring to the field.

2 Likes